The NEXT coming Oz election thread!

vikorr

Reply Sat 24 Nov, 2007 03:17 pm
I didn't see Rudds acceptance speech unfortunately, although the promise to 'govern for all Australians', if true, is quite a promise. As for being filled with 'nationalist bullshit'...it's an acceptance speech, which isn't a place to make policy announcements, but to speak about ones vision (in very general terms) and hopes...which pretty much amounts to nationalist bullshit (ie. nothing wrong with that on such an occasion).

I saw Howards concession/defeat speech (whatever it's called), and it was touching (he was rather emotional...I think he almost cried, with only pride, and a great deal of it, keeping his head up), but rather boring (nothing at all on Bombers speech when he lost at the last election).

Interesting times ahead.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sat 24 Nov, 2007 05:15 pm
(btw: I was confident of Rudd's winning because I am an on-line- scrabble addict. Hundreds upon hundreds of games with folks from, at last count, 47 countries. The game is set up such that I can chat with my opponent while playing. I do that a lot, if they are willing. My "sources" in Aus showed not a lot of enthusiasm for Rudd, but an overwhelming weariness with Howard, mostly on domestic issues).
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 24 Nov, 2007 05:34 pm
Next.

John Brumby?
0 Replies

bungie

Reply Sat 24 Nov, 2007 10:21 pm
looks like Pete has packed up his bat and ball and doesn't want to play anymore.

Quote:
Costello won't lead Libs
Staff reporters
November 25, 2007 - 12:54PM
Latest related coverage

Peter Costello has announced his intention to refuse the Liberal Party leadership following the Howard Government's election defeat.

Full story here
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2007 01:34 am
So...how are we feeling today boils and goils?

Just spoken to a friend in state IR....they are gonna be scrambling to get the state's ideas re IR reform to Julia's office.

Things be moving!!!!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2007 01:36 am
bungie wrote:
looks like Pete has packed up his bat and ball and doesn't want to play anymore.

Quote:
Costello won't lead Libs
Staff reporters
Latest related coverage

Peter Costello has announced his intention to refuse the Liberal Party leadership following the Howard Government's election defeat.

Full story here

Whoa!!!! Interesting choice. Can't hack opposition for a few years, I guess.

He must want to murder Howard....

I hope Tony Abbott doesn't get it. He is one spooky guy.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2007 01:42 am
vikorr wrote:
I didn't see Rudds acceptance speech unfortunately, although the promise to 'govern for all Australians', if true, is quite a promise. As for being filled with 'nationalist bullshit'...it's an acceptance speech, which isn't a place to make policy announcements, but to speak about ones vision (in very general terms) and hopes...which pretty much amounts to nationalist bullshit (ie. nothing wrong with that on such an occasion).

I saw Howards concession/defeat speech (whatever it's called), and it was touching (he was rather emotional...I think he almost cried, with only pride, and a great deal of it, keeping his head up), but rather boring (nothing at all on Bombers speech when he lost at the last election).

Interesting times ahead.

I would read the speech, Vikorr.

The number of times he does how wonderful Oz is made me sick...I think there is moderation in all things.

You expect a bit of bullshit, for sure, but this was over the bs allowance in my view.

BUT IT LOOKS AS THOUGH MAXINE WILL GET BENNELONG!!!!!!!!!!

Kaloo kalay, oh frabjous day!!!!!!!!

Blatham...reading your article:

Back in Febraury of this year, Howard inserted himself into U.S. domestic politics by spouting this Bill Kristol-like smear:
If I was running al-Qaeda in Iraq, I would put a circle around March 2008, and pray, as many times as possible, for a victory not only for [Barack] Obama, but also for the Democrats.

I didn't catch this disgusting comment when it was uttered.

That is quite shocking.

I was aware that Howard had (in my view utterly inappropriately) expressed support for Bush...but this is awful.

I think the majority in Oz was shocked when Bush made utterances supporting Howard's re election, too.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2007 02:26 am
Anyone see Costello's speech last night. Even in the face of humiliating defeat, he still managed to come across as smug and arrogant.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2007 02:37 am
Quote:

So does this mean a bye lection in costellos seat?

This pisses me off. This decision should have made prior to the election.

I would go so far as to say he should have to pay the cost of a bye election.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2007 02:54 am
No, he's staying as a backbencher
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2007 05:43 am
Wilso wrote:
No, he's staying as a backbencher

But only for the time being.

Quote:
Commercial career beckons

"I will be looking to build a career post politics in the commercial world."

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2007 05:59 am
Setanta wrote:
Well, i don't of course know how you all see Rudd, or for how long you'll be satisfied with his ministry, but i offer my congratulations on getting rid of that monkey Howard.

Thank you!

I think we should be congratulated, too, for getting rid of Howard & co! Very Happy

Kevin Rudd is an unusual choice for Labor Party leader. He comes from a diplomatic/bureaucratic background, rather than the more traditional political or trade union base. He is also a relative newcomer to the Labor Party (only 9 years in parliament), so it will be interesting to see what sort of a Labor leader he will make. I think it is fair to say that in terms of Labor politics he is a conservative - right of centre.

He (along with Howard) has run a more "presidential" style campaign than is usual for Labor leaders. And has made it clear that he will be choosing cabinet ministers himself, rather than the Labor tradition of factional representation. Whether this will be a good thing or not has yet to be seen. The factions of the party (some very powerful) have been very constrained & disciplined throughout this campaign. Whether they remain so, when Rudd (inevitably) makes decisions that undermine positions that certain factions hold "sacred" (like say, on uranium mining & export, aspects of industrial relations to the left) is another matter.

It is important to understand that the Labor Party traditionally has operated (sometimes not so successfully) as a party, with decision making & consultation occurring at all level of the organization, right down to the members. Rudd intends to operate in a radically different way. It will certainly be "interesting" to see how the party adjusts to this & what the party becomes under his leadership.

Speaking personally, while I'm absolutely ecstatic to see the last of this Liberal government, I'm rather apprehensive about what "Rudd Labor" will actually stand for. I've been extremely disappointed with Rudd's line on education funding, his attitude to some "errant" trade unionists during the campaign & quite a few other things. Far too much "Me-too-ism" (agreeing with the Howard line) on too many issues for comfort. However, he will ratify Kyoto urgently & extract us from Iraq. With Labor I much feel much more confident about Australia's relationships with other countries, particularly with Asia & the US. In the case of Asian countries I expect Rudd will work hard to repair some of the damage caused by Howard acting as Bush's "deputy sherif" in the south Pacific. A lot of bad feeling between us & our near neighbours as a result. And in the case of our relationship with the US, it will be a great relief to extricate ourselves from Bush & the conservatives & start making decisions for ourselves again!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2007 06:04 am
realjohnboy wrote:
Congratulations, indeed.
Mr. Bush must be getting lonely. Our lame duck just became a bit more lame.

Glad to be of service! :wink:
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2007 06:21 am
bungie wrote:

Quote:
Costello won't lead Libs
Staff reporters
Latest related coverage

Full story here

Very interesting development!
The Liberal Party is going to be very, very interesting to watch in opposition as it goes through it's post-Howard, neo conservative phase. Come to think of it, it isn't at all surprising that Costello wants out. (Being one of the "leading lights" & brains behind much of the Howard industrial relations line.) I wouldn't be at all surprised if there are more retirements from the hardliners over the coming months. It seems that this hard phase of Oz political life is over - history. So now the Libs will need to work out what they stand for next. A warmer, kinder, fuzzier Liberal Party? :wink: At the very least, a more liberal Liberal Party will emerge, I reckon. I predict Malcolm Turnbull will be their leader. If not immediately, during this term of government.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2007 06:24 am
Wilso wrote:
Anyone see Costello's speech last night. Even in the face of humiliating defeat, he still managed to come across as smug and arrogant.

Strange, Wilso, I had an entirely different impression to you. I thought he looked happier than he'd looked in ages!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2007 08:02 am
What's Turnbull like, in your view, Msolga?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2007 10:10 am
deb
Quote:
Blatham...reading your article:

Back in Febraury of this year, Howard inserted himself into U.S. domestic politics by spouting this Bill Kristol-like smear:
If I was running al-Qaeda in Iraq, I would put a circle around March 2008, and pray, as many times as possible, for a victory not only for [Barack] Obama, but also for the Democrats.

I didn't catch this disgusting comment when it was uttered.

That is quite shocking.

Yeah, I caught it at the time but then forgot it (my noggin's hard drive has too much of such stuff).

Clearly, the administrations in Britain, Australia and the US had/have significant liason operations designed specificially to forward uniform talking points.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2007 10:12 am
And let me add....best of luck, guys.
0 Replies

bungie

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2007 12:38 pm
msolga wrote:
bungie wrote:

Quote:
Costello won't lead Libs
Staff reporters
Latest related coverage

Full story here

Very interesting development!
The Liberal Party is going to be very, very interesting to watch in opposition as it goes through it's post-Howard, neo conservative phase. Come to think of it, it isn't at all surprising that Costello wants out. (Being one of the "leading lights" & brains behind much of the Howard industrial relations line.) I wouldn't be at all surprised if there are more retirements from the hardliners over the coming months. It seems that this hard phase of Oz political life is over - history. So now the Libs will need to work out what they stand for next. A warmer, kinder, fuzzier Liberal Party? :wink: At the very least, a more liberal Liberal Party will emerge, I reckon. I predict Malcolm Turnbull will be their leader. If not immediately, during this term of government.

My memory might be wrong msolga, but it seems any new party leader after a defeat at the poles, is not the same leader that takes them to the next election.Perhaps Pete is aware of that and maybe Malcolm is not. As you say, interesting times ahead.
0 Replies

bungie

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2007 12:40 pm
blatham wrote:
And let me add....best of luck, guys.

Thanks mate. Cheers ..
0 Replies