The NEXT coming Oz election thread!

hingehead

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2007 05:57 pm
I don't agree that they are as bad as each other. Howard is worse. Clearly. Does anyone believe Tampa would have happened under a labor prime minister?

Howard is everything that's wrong with Australia - imho. Any man who lives at home until he is 33 (and only leaves to live with his new wife) is not someone I can connect with. I probably wouldn't mind him as a neighbour (who complained about the dog and the indigenous family down the road) - but I can't abide him as the leader of our country.

I'm not voting for labor, I'm voting against Howard.

Anyway here's a recent press release about the joys of public service in Howard's Australia Media release - DEWR fined $30,000 for political discrimination against union members
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2007 06:00 pm
Another day, another poll ... saying pretty much the same thing, again .......

And another damn picture of our vital, energetic & positive PM on his invigerating daily walk! Enough already!

Boring, boring! :

Howard fails to close the gap
http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2007/11/01/rgn_howard_wideweb__470x296,0.jpg
John Howard took his morning constitutional to Flemington yesterday, where he walked the Melbourne Cup course.
Photo: Andrew Taylor

Michelle Grattan
November 2, 2007

NEARING halfway through the election campaign, the Government has failed to dent Labor's commanding lead in the Age/Nielsen poll, with the Coalition facing a devastating defeat if it cannot turn voter sentiment around quickly.

With its two-party lead at 55 to 45, Labor has gained one percentage point from when the election was announced nearly three weeks ago.

Kevin Rudd has also extended his lead as preferred prime minister, gaining two points to 49 per cent, while John Howard slipped 2 points to 41 per cent.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2007 06:08 pm
hingehead wrote:
I don't agree that they are as bad as each other. Howard is worse. Clearly. Does anyone believe Tampa would have happened under a labor prime minister?

Howard is everything that's wrong with Australia - imho. Any man who lives at home until he is 33 (and only leaves to live with his new wife) is not someone I can connect with. I probably wouldn't mind him as a neighbour (who complained about the dog and the indigenous family down the road) - but I can't abide him as the leader of our country.

I'm not voting for labor, I'm voting against Howard.

Anyway here's a recent press release about the joys of public service in Howard's Australia Media release - DEWR fined $30,000 for political discrimination against union members

You're right, of course, hinge. Howard is far, far worse. I've always though that.

I'm also voting against him. I want him gone. & for this disgraceful period of Oz politics to be over.

I'm not voting for Labor, either.

But I think the campaigns of both parties are equally boring & distressingly wasteful of our taxes ... & lack vision. It's like both leaders are drunk, or are addicted gamblers, something!
Spend, bribe, spend!
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2007 06:23 pm
It is distressing that labor is parroting liberal - but unfortunately we select few seem to be in the minority;most Australians are happy the way things are (they've voted in Howard how many times now). So the only way labor can get in is by saying 'we are the liberals, but with nicer hair'.

I strongly suspect that Kevin Rudd as PM will not be the Kevin Rudd we see now, and that labor policy and promises will be transformed/mutated/demolished if they win - but if enough people felt the same way as me, they would turn back to Howard scared.

I don't think what we see is what we'll get (which makes me happy) but at face value there is nothing to be inspired about in this campaign...
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 04:23 pm
Good morning, Oz.

Good morning, A2K.

Good morning, GetUp!

Two year of WorkChoices! Boo! Hiss! :

Dear friends,

Two years ago today, the Government introduced WorkChoices into Parliament. And we've got a special birthday surprise in store.

After this year's advertising avalanche of post-it notes telling you to 'know where you stand', we thought you might want to tell our politicians where you actually do stand. If we get 15,000 post-it notes signed by you within a week, we'll plaster Mr Hockey's North Sydney office - and others - with your stick-on yellow post-it messages.

www.getup.org.au/campaign/! KnowWhereIStand

We've got less than a week before we plan to deliver your message directly to Mr Hockey and other key politicians who voted for these unfair and un-Australian laws, in a way that will have undecided voters sitting up an taking notice. And we're prepared to take it a step further:

- If we get 30,000 notes signed, we'll put massive "Know where I stand" posters at every single polling booth in North Sydney on election day.
- If we get 50,000 notes signed, we'll also park a mobile "Know where we stand" billboard outside Mr Hockey's prominent office all the way to the election.

Next Saturday November 10 is delivery day - the anniversary of WorkChoices' passage through the House. Not only are we going to paint Joe's house yellow post-it, organisers are standing by around the country to take your post-its to sitting members in a local electorate near! you. Click here for your personalised post-it to be included:

www.getup.org.au/campaign/KnowWhereIStand

This is our opportunity to rise above the smear and scare-campaigns of the election to focus on the simple issue of whether we think these laws are good or bad for Australians. All parties need to hear that laws which scrap unfair dismissal, penalty rates, overtime and more are something Australians profoundly reject.

"Know where you stand"? We know where we stand - we stand for a fair Australia that protects our workers' rights. We stand for a country in which you don't have to barter for maternity leave or work the weekend to keep your job. So on WorkChoices' second anniversary, before this crucial election to decide the future of workplace laws in Australia, tell the decision-makers where you stand on workplac! e rights.

Happy birthday, Australia!
The GetUp team
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 04:24 pm
Good morning, goodfielder?

<nudge, nudge>

:wink:
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 04:37 pm
The big story on page 1 of The Australian! Laughing :

PM fights back in key seats
Dennis Shanahan, Political editor/the AUSTRALIAN
November 03, 2007

JOHN Howard has fought back in key marginal seats in NSW and Victoria, giving the Coalition at least some new hope of winning the election, although Kevin Rudd has forged ahead in Queensland and South Australia.

A special Newspoll survey of the 18 most marginal Coalition seats in four states reveals Labor can achieve its winning target of taking an extra 16 seats -- three or four in each of NSW, Victoria, Queensland and South Australia. .... <cont>

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,22694423-601,00.html
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 04:49 pm
The (terribly!) exciting campain week that was....:

http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2007/11/02/0311_cartoon_gallery__470x300,0.jpg
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 05:00 pm
Pollies in the poo update #1: Andrews scores on two (inter-connecting! Razz ) fronts in one week! Quite an achievement!
The Haneef fiasco (The plot gets darker & thicker! Shocked ) & delays in the "rescue" of the Mersey hospital in Tassie (due to a shortage of qualified doctors! :wink: ):

http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2007/11/02/svCARTOON_NOV3_gallery__470x315.jpg
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 05:03 pm
Andrews in the poo # 2:

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,,5732847,00.jpg

Secret Haneef plan exposed:
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,22688973-601,00.html
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2007 06:50 am
YES!!! Very Happy :

Howard set to lose Bennelong: poll
Posted 5 hours 33 minutes ago
Updated 5 hours 42 minutes ago
ABC news online

http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200710/r195606_743484.jpg
The poll puts Maxine McKew ahead of John Howard by four points, after preferences (File photo). (AAP/Getty Images)

A newspaper poll to be published tomorrow shows Prime Minister John Howard on track to lose his seat of Bennelong to Labor's candidate, Maxine McKew.

A Galaxy Poll to be published in The Sunday Telegraph shows Labor leading in Bennelong with a primary vote of 47 per cent, compared to the Liberals with 46.

After preferences it gives Labor a four-point lead of 52 to 48.

At the last election, Mr Howard won Bennelong with a two-party-preferred vote of 54 per cent.

http://www.abc.com.au/news/stories/2007/11/03/2080950.htm
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2007 06:56 am
Ooooooh, if only, if only, if only, if only, if only ......!

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
0 Replies

bungie

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2007 03:07 pm
Let us not forget that this man could be Prime Minister

Quote:
Costello: strings attached

Julia Gillard
November 4, 2007
Latest related coverage

IF THE Howard Government is re-elected then Peter Costello would slide in to being Prime Minister without ever facing the Australian people. He could be Prime Minister in a matter of months.

But what does Peter Costello stand for?

At his Press Club debate with Labor Shadow Treasurer Wayne Swan, Peter Costello was asked to name three things he would do differently from John Howard if he was Prime Minister.

Costello failed the leadership test. He couldn't even name one thing.

Costello is politically savvy enough not to say he believes in further radical industrial relations changes, but he clearly does and would take WorkChoices further. It is a matter of public record that he believes in stripping the industrial relations safety net back to just the minimum wage, getting rid of unfair dismissal laws for all Australians and privatising the Australian Industrial Relations Commission.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 4 Nov, 2007 04:35 pm
I know I'm biased but I've seen JH interviewed twice this week (kerry o'brien and barry cassidy) and I am struck by his 'we're about the future not the past' comments backed with 'interest rates were higher under labour' to which an interviewer will occasionally respond 'but not as high as when you were treasurer' which leads us back to 'we're about the future not the past'.

This really is getting tedious. But I will enjoy watching him squirm and I pray to the atheist god he loses this election.

I somehow doubt his 'defeat' speech will rival Paul Keating in 1996 for statesmanship. I don't suppose anyone out there could find the text of that speech?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 4 Nov, 2007 05:38 pm
hingehead wrote:
I know I'm biased but I've seen JH interviewed twice this week (kerry o'brien and barry cassidy) and I am struck by his 'we're about the future not the past' comments backed with 'interest rates were higher under labour' to which an interviewer will occasionally respond 'but not as high as when you were treasurer' which leads us back to 'we're about the future not the past'.

This really is getting tedious. But I will enjoy watching him squirm and I pray to the atheist god he loses this election.

I somehow doubt his 'defeat' speech will rival Paul Keating in 1996 for statesmanship. I don't suppose anyone out there could find the text of that speech?

http://soapbox.unimelb.edu.au/media/Transcripts/Speech_Concession/1996_ConcessionSpeech_ALP_T.pdf
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 4 Nov, 2007 06:52 pm
Thank you bunny, much appreciated, now I'll go wipe a tear from my eye.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 08:10 am
Laughing Exactly!:

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,,5736526,00.jpg
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 08:14 am
http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2007/11/05/061107editoon_gallery__550x352,0.jpg
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 11:50 pm
No area in Oz is "immune from local crime." Does this mean $3 million for every single seat in the country, then? Rolling Eyes :

PM promises $3m for own seat
November 6, 2007 - 11:11AM/Sunday AGE

Prime Minister John Howard has moved to shore up his electorate of Bennelong by promising more than $3 million for local law and order and community facilities.

Under pressure from Labor challenger Maxine McKew, Mr Howard pledged $2.4 million to fit out the West Ryde Family and Children's Community Centre, and $675,000 to install up to 50 closed circuit television cameras in the Ryde area.

He made the announcements - neither of which fall in areas of federal responsibility - in the West Ryde hotel in front of a blue Liberal Party banner with the slogan 'Doing what's right for Bennelong'.

Mr Howard cited a recent laneway shooting and the stabbing of a 17-year-old boy as evidence of a local crime problem, and said the state government had failed in its responsibility to ensure community safety.

"This area is not immune from local crime," he said.

"Whilst the day-to-day maintenance of law and order and fighting crime is overwhelmingly a state responsibility, there are gaps.

"This is one of those areas where we believe direct funding by the federal government to the local council ... is a very effective way of fighting crime in the suburbs."
....<cont>

http://www.theage.com.au/news/federal-election-2007-news/pm-promises-3m-for-own-seat/2007/11/06/1194118001255.html
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 12:01 am
Greens set to hold balance in Senate
By Deborah Cornwall
Posted 7 hours 39 minutes ago /ABC news online

http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200710/r194454_737407.jpg
Bob Brown ... the Greens want to act as the buffer against either major party having a majority in the Senate. (File photo) (ABC TV)

One of the most unexpected results of the last federal election was the Coalition wresting control of the Senate away from Labor and the minor parties.

This cleared the way for the Government to push through legislation like WorkChoices in the certain knowledge they had the numbers in the Upper House.

No matter who wins this election, analysts say it is unlikely either of the major parties will have a majority in the Senate in the next term. And there is a strong possibility the Greens may end up holding the balance of power.

It is 25 years since Greens leader Bob Brown made his dramatic entry into Australian politics, protesting against the damming of the Franklin River in Tasmania.

It has been a long, slow march to the nation's capital, but after seeing off the Democrats in the last federal election, the Greens now have four seats in the Senate, and are almost certain to hold the balance of power after the next election.

Election analyst Malcolm Mackerras has told Lateline the Greens will be in a very powerful position in the Senate after the election.

"I believe that the result of this election in the Senate will be that we'll finish up with 34 Coalition, 33 Labor senators, seven Greens, one Family First, and one senator, Nick Xenophon, independent from South Australia," he said.

ABC election analyst Antony Green says the Greens are polling roughly the same as they did at the last election, when they elected two senators.

"The difference this time is the balance of power between the Liberal and the Labor Party is very different, and this time the Greens aren't competing with Labor for seats, the Greens are competing with the Liberals for seats," he said. ...<cont>

http://www.abc.com.au/news/stories/2007/11/06/2082603.htm?site=elections/federal/2007
0 Replies