Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2007 09:13 am
dadpad wrote:
I'm dreamin Im going to Bonnie Doon.

Yes?

Tell us more! Very Happy
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2007 08:44 pm
Tony Mokbel may have been holed up at Bonnie Doon for quite a while before heading for Greece. Apparently he was only in Greece for a short time before being spotted.
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2007 03:42 am
Just like to add a little humour to break the serious cycle. Smile

The Cruel Wife.

A retired gentleman went to Centrelink Office to apply
for the Age Pension.

The woman behind the counter asked him for his driver's
license to verify his age.

He looked in his pockets and realized he had left his
wallet at home.

He told the woman that he was very sorry but he seemed
to have left his wallet at home.

"I will have to go home and come back later." he said.

The woman says, "Unbutton your shirt."

So he opens his shirt revealing curly silver hair.

She says, "That silver hair on your chest is proof
enough for me" and she processed his Age Pension application.

When he returned home, the man excitedly tells his wife
about his experience at the Centrelink office.

She says, "You should have dropped your pants.

You might have got the Disability Pension, too."
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2007 05:48 am
Laughing Dutchy
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2007 06:07 am
dadpad wrote:
I heard a rumour there might be an election looming. Any truth in it?

I heard a rumour JH might pass the liberal leadership along. Any truth in it?

pssst, dadpad

Heard the latest rumour ... about next Tuesday?

Actually the usual rumour Rolling Eyes this time coming from "un-named backbenchers".

The theory is that the next poll (Tuesday) will force his hand & he'll really have to go this time!
But true to form, he's denied it, Peter's denied it & "senior cabinet ministers" have denied it. So....?

Julia G says he might get a few sympathy votes in this next poll from folks who feel sorry for him. Awwww.

Got any more jokes, Dutchy? This week is looking like a repeat of last week. We might have to entertain ourselves while JH continues considering the most suitable election date. (Julia says he'll have to name the day next weekend. I'm not holding my breath!)

Gosh, this is exciting stuff isn't it? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

bungie

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2007 01:44 pm
You can use your imagination here .......

A certain Postal Service has issued a recall of a stamp they created
with a picture of a Prime Minister to honor his achievements
while serving as Prime Minister of a great nation.

The problem was discovered when claims had been made
that the stamp was not sticking to envelopes, and that mail
which had been sent using the new stamp was not being
delivered. The treasurer demanded a full investigation into the allegations.

A special Postal Service Investigation team was formed and
after several months and many dollars spent, made the following findings:

*The stamp was manufactured properly.
*There was nothing wrong with the adhesive.
*People were just spitting on the wrong side
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2007 04:54 pm
Maxine 53% John 47%

hey hey ho ho....
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2007 07:34 pm
Camp residents flee drunken riot

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,22429589-5006790,00.html

Quote:
Under the new federal legislation, drinkers in restricted areas face a fine of $1100 for a first offence, and a $2200 fine for second and subsequent offences.

I wonder where the Federal Government thinks the offenders are going to find the money to pay the fine.

Actually, aboriginal community violence deserves to be a topic all on its own, but I thought about it and it seems so depressing. I mean, what positives can really be found out of it? And yet, an ongoing series of posts would really highlight the problems faced in such communities....a terrible tragedy
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2007 01:43 am
dadpad wrote:
Maxine 53% John 47%

hey hey ho ho....

Too tired after a rugged day at work tp post much more than the cartoonists' take on the situatation.:

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/opinion/cartoons/
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2007 01:44 am
bungie wrote:
You can use your imagination here .......

A certain Postal Service has issued a recall of a stamp they created
with a picture of a Prime Minister to honor his achievements
while serving as Prime Minister of a great nation.

The problem was discovered when claims had been made
that the stamp was not sticking to envelopes, and that mail
which had been sent using the new stamp was not being
delivered. The treasurer demanded a full investigation into the allegations.

A special Postal Service Investigation team was formed and
after several months and many dollars spent, made the following findings:

*The stamp was manufactured properly.
*There was nothing wrong with the adhesive.
*People were just spitting on the wrong side

:wink:
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2007 01:46 am
http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2007/09/16/17cartoon_gallery__470x266,0.jpg
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2007 01:50 am
http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2007/09/16/svCARTOON_gallery__470x330.jpg
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2007 01:54 am
msolga wrote:
dadpad wrote:
Maxine 53% John 47%

hey hey ho ho....

Too tired after a rugged day at work tp post much more than the cartoonists' take on the situatation.:

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/opinion/cartoons/

More stuffed than I thought!

Let's try again.:

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,,5658087,00.jpg
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2007 02:05 am
I vaguely recall something in the print media last week about JH's ongoing woes in Bennelong (his electorate), so after seeing today's Morgan poll results, the penny dropped! Idea : Could it be that the new "team" approach to the election campaign, plus the Howard/Costello-joint-leader-thing is because the Libs have been seriously concerned that JH could possibly lose his own seat? Taking out a bit of Lib insurance, a bob each way, just in case?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2007 02:18 am
Today's Morgan poll results:

Poll shows Howard to lose seat
Posted 11 hours 40 minutes ago
Updated 9 hours 29 minutes ago

A new opinion poll showing Prime Minister John Howard could lose his own seat in the upcoming election is the latest blow to Coalition morale.

The Morgan poll, published in The Age this morning, shows Mr Howard's Bennelong seat would fall to Labor challenger Maxine McKew with a two-party swing of more than 7 per cent if an election were held now.

The figures show that Labor leads the Coalition by 53 per cent to 47 per cent in Sydney electorate.

Their release comes after a weekend which saw federal ministers forced to deny reports that Mr Howard could stand down as early as this week.

The Prime Minister himself has said that, if elected, he will serve a full term as member for Bennelong, whether or not he stays on as Prime Minister. ...<cont>

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/09/17/2034286.htm
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2007 02:22 am
Tonight the next Newspoll results will be released.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2007 02:36 am
Just re-posting this, vikorr, so it doesn't get lost. I'm hoping that someone a wee bit more compus than me, tonight, will respond.:

vikorr wrote:
Camp residents flee drunken riot

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,22429589-5006790,00.html

Quote:
Under the new federal legislation, drinkers in restricted areas face a fine of $1100 for a first offence, and a $2200 fine for second and subsequent offences.

I wonder where the Federal Government thinks the offenders are going to find the money to pay the fine.

Actually, aboriginal community violence deserves to be a topic all on its own, but I thought about it and it seems so depressing. I mean, what positives can really be found out of it? And yet, an ongoing series of posts would really highlight the problems faced in such communities....a terrible tragedy
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2007 02:05 am
Latest Newspoll results.:

Howard closes gap: Newspoll
Dennis Shanahan, Political editor/the AUSTRALIAN
June 18, 2007

JOHN Howard and the Coalition have got a polling breather going into the crucial last week of the parliamentary session, but Labor and Kevin Rudd are still in a clear election-winning position.

After months of hopelessly trailing the ALP, the Howard Government has picked up support and is now the closest to Labor it has been on primary votes since February.

According to the latest Newspoll survey, conducted on the weekend exclusively for The Australian, Labor's primary vote slumped six percentage points to 46 per cent and the Coalition's rose from 35 to 39 per cent.

But the two-party-preferred support, based on distribution of preferences at the last election, still has Labor in a position to wipe out the Coalition at the next election, 56 to 44 per cent

Also in Labor's favour, the Opposition Leader is still at near-record levels of personal approval and heads Mr Howard as the preferred prime minister. ...<cont>

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,21922704-601,00.html
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2007 02:15 am
IR and economy to determine election
Sid Marris
September 18, 2007/the AUSTRALIAN

THE looming election is focusing voter minds on economic issues, particularly workplace relations.

But the environment is big vote mover in Tasmania, despite scoring more modestly across the rest of the country.

Rather than climate change, education or the Iraq war, a compilation of nearly 8000 online readers say their vote is more likely to be affected by policies for the workplace or the national economy.

The Australian/CoreData exclusive poll has 40.5 per cent of respondents listing workplace relations as the leading factor, with the issue running hottest in Victoria NSW and Queensland.

Economy rated 25.9 per cent across the nation, with the most interesting Western Australia, Queensland and South Australia.

Climate change was then next most important issue, at 13 per cent, but scored a substantial 27.6 per cent interest in Tasmania.

The Iraq war rated 11.6 per cent while education came in last of the five offered options at 8.1 per cent.

The Coalition has been trying to drag the political debate back to the economy, believing voters have taken the present prosperity for granted and that Labor's was avoiding detailed scrutiny of the issue.

"What we have in September 2007 is a situation where the best years of Australia will be ahead of this country if in fact we make wise decisions, not only about our government but also about the sort of policies that ought to be introduced into the future and the way we use our current prosperity," John Howard told parliament today.

Treasurer Peter Costello also used parliament to bait Labor over its taxation policy, seizing on comments by education minister Stephen Smith that Labor had a policy ready for release.

Mr Costello's claim for credit in managing the economy has struck a chord with part of the electorate, with 42 per cent of respondents to The Australian/CoreData's latest online poll saying he deserved some credit for Australia's strong economic position.

Most voters are not convinced with 41 per cent saying he deserves very little credit, and 17 per cent saying none at all.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,22439572-2702,00.html
0 Replies