brings bck a scary memory. When we first occupied the farm. I had a nughbor cut and bale hay for me. We loaded the hay into the barn nd packed it tight since it as clover (1st cutting). In FEW weeks there was this smell of like hay that was baking. We went up to the barn nd started pulling hay bales out an many of them were intensely hot .So much so that we needed thick work gloves to keep from getting burned.
Clover is often subject to spontaneous combustion in our area.IT grows so lush and, if not dried perfectly retains a moisture that allows the hay to ferment and then go to combustion.
We stacked it outside the barn in a paddock nd let it dry really well before we returned it to the barn. After that we never planted clover again. All our fields were either alfalfa, orchard grass or trefoil, which do not easily combust in a hay bale.
Our early learning days were a real treat. Some of the neighbors came over and started a "Training program" for the new farmers. We learned a whole lot of things about what can explode , ignite, or otherwise kill ya.