An older guy messaged me online...

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2017 05:13 pm
Basically I had a guy whom is 19 (I'm 15) saying that I'm beautiful and I look as though I'm 18. I have no idea who he is, and asked to meet up with me. When I politely said no, he asked to come to my area. Again, no. I know all about grooming and online safety, but I noticed that he followed loads of other girls in my year after following me- I can't help but feel as though I should make my school aware of this. My parents both want me to go to the police, but I'm not so sure that what he said was illegal. He also said things like 'you're so young yet so beautiful' 'I like you' 'You are looking very nice'. I did tell him several times of my age but he wouldn't leave me alone so I blocked him.
My question here is, should I report this to my school to try and make the other girls that he is following aware?

ossobucotemp

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2017 05:24 pm
@Lucy1217,
Yes, but I agree with your parents too, re informing the police.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2017 07:11 pm
@Lucy1217,
Inform both your school and the cops.
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2017 10:43 pm
@Lucy1217,
You are very smart and mature to find out that other girls in your class are being contacted by this person, and to realize that something bad might be going on. Do what the others said and contact both the school and the police. Don't worry about whether the guy broke the law or not, that's for the police to worry about. You are just making the police aware of the situation, and there is nothing wrong with that.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2017 09:26 am
@Lucy1217,
What he did may not have been illegal, yet. You don't know what he has in mind, and that probably is highly illegal.

I know it's flattering at 15 to be courted by a 19 year old, but that's how sexual predators work, it's part of the grooming process. Come to think of it, how do you know he's 19, he may be a 46 year old loner with a collection of firearms and an interest in snuff movies and taxidermy.

Tell the police, the worst that can happen if he's genuine is that he'll get a stern talking to by the police.

If you don't tell the police and he's not genuine the worst that could happen doesn't bear thinking of. The next 15 year old, (or 13 year old, or 12 year old,) he contacts may not be as sensible as you.
0 Replies