the application of common sense

ration

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2017 04:51 am
i'm debating with a friend the reason why people mock.
i used as argument that it's common sense that people make fun of others for fun or to make that person feel bad most of the times and rarely for other reasons.
is this a valid point of view in terms of objectivity?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 662 • Replies: 7
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by ration
centrox

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2017 04:57 am
I don't think you are using the expression "common sense" correctly.
ration

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2017 05:11 am
@centrox,
well, in this context, i'm using it to express that i think most people have the same opinion on the matter (may be a misuse, i don't know for sure)
centrox

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2017 06:13 am
@ration,
ration wrote:
well, in this context, i'm using it to express that i think most people have the same opinion on the matter (may be a misuse, i don't know for sure)

That is not what "common sense" means. Common sense is to do with knowledge, not opinion. It roughly means "good sense and sound judgement in practical matters", or "the basic level of practical knowledge and judgment that we all need to help us live in a reasonable and safe way" or "a basic ability to perceive, understand, and judge things that are shared by ("common to") nearly all people and can reasonably be expected of nearly all people without need for debate.". Examples: It is common sense not to light a fire near where gasoline is stored. It is common sense that you can't get 2 litres in a 1 litre container. Nobody with any common sense would let a child play on a busy road, or expect that coal can nourish a person, or believe that cats can speak.

ration

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2017 06:23 am
@centrox,
i fail to see the difference between your explanation and mine other than that i used the words 'have the same opinion' and you used the word 'knowledge', not trying to be rude or anything.
centrox

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2017 06:36 am
@ration,
ration wrote:

i fail to see the difference between your explanation and mine other than i used the words 'have the same opinion' and you used the word 'knowledge'.

The difference that you fail to see is that opinion and knowledge are not the same thing.

ration

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2017 06:45 am
@centrox,
yes, in this context i don't see the difference. whether i replace the word sense with knowledge or opinion in the examples you gave the meaning stays the same from my point of view (although it does need repharsing if changed to the word opinion.)
so i'm not saying you're not right, but i'm still curious about my first question, or does my failure at understanding common sense pretty much kill my point?
0 Replies

centrox
  Selected Answer

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2017 06:50 am
Quote:
i'm debating with a friend

Invoking "common sense" shuts down debate. It is a refusal to debate.
0 Replies