Objectivity and subjectivity

souhir

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2014 06:48 pm
Are we able to identify objective values from subjective experiences? How?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 973 • Replies: 6
No top replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2014 06:59 pm
@souhir,
Of course.

I know that my values are objective values. I can use that fact to judge whether the values and experiences of other people are objective or not..
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2014 09:04 pm
@souhir,
By negotiation.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2014 09:19 pm
@fresco,
You can't negotiate objective values! Negotiation is the opposite of objectivity.
fresco

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2014 09:27 pm
@maxdancona,
Perhaps I should have said that the utility of the dichotomy subjectivity/objectivity is itself subject to negotiation. The philosophical issue revolves around the concept of "consensual perceptual set". With respect to consensus, "can't debate" equates to "no need to debate".
0 Replies

souhir

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2014 02:52 am
The idea is still not clear in my head, unfortunately. Because I think that objective values doesn't exist, it depends I mean!
fresco

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2014 09:28 am
@souhir,
Yes. That is equivalent to saying that the dichotomy is useless in most cases. We are all subject to perceptual bias according to nature and nurture. In case of social disagreement, phrases arise like " you are being subjective" as though one party had privileged access to "truth", but this is bound to a particular context under negotiation.
0 Replies