The Problem of Self

fresco

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2004 09:53 am
Kuvasz,

Thanks for the term "perennial philosophy"...any recommended links ?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2004 11:40 am
fresco wrote:
Frank,

If you care to read the link I gave above you might reconsider your claim that we are advocating "belief systems".

I have read it.

I am more convinced than ever that it is a belief system...and a belief system that is trying to fake out itself...and its adherents.

I did agree with one thing K said:

Quote:
But to learn if there is anything that is beyond thought, beyond the intellect, beyond the routine, one must be free of all beliefs, mustn't one? Which doesn't mean you become an atheist. The atheists and the believers are both the same.

In any case, K thinks he has the answers to the Ultimate Question of "What is going on here...what is the nature of existence."

And insofar as he does, it is my opinion that he is advocating a belief system.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2004 01:17 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
Rex

You wrote:

RexRed wrote:
When you look to yourself you will become lonely. When you look to others you will be let down. When you look to God you will never be let down and you will never be alone.

And then immediately posted:

Quote:
Sound logic.

In a way, you are correct...it is a form of sound logic.

But it would have been just as "sound logic" if you had written...

..."...When you look to Santa Claus you will never be let down..."

Frank the only fault with your logic here is that Santa Clause is not the supposed "person" that people refer to as "creating the heavens and the earth". If that claim were to be imposed upon Jolly Old Santa then I would agree that Santa would never let you down. It is the creator of our universe that is all powerful regardless of what you may want to call him/her by name.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2004 01:25 pm
Frank,

Krishnamurti's method is never to give "answers" but to exhort the listeners to "observe themselves".
He completely rejects any "authority" attached to himself (whom he calls "the speaker").
This process of questioning of synthetic boundaries is a little bit like the celebrated Sherlock Holmes' fictional dictum "when we have eliminated all we can, whatever is left contains "the truth" however unlikely this may seem".

Of course one of the most difficult things to do IS to ruthlessly observe the self. We have so many vested interests wrapped up in our many rationalizations that for most the inclination simply does not arise. Using the label "belief system" for what in essence a "meditative exercise" could be merely an excuse for letting sleeping dogs lie.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2004 01:35 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
fresco wrote:
Frank,

If you care to read the link I gave above you might reconsider your claim that we are advocating "belief systems".

I have read it.

I am more convinced than ever that it is a belief system...and a belief system that is trying to fake out itself...and its adherents.

Quote:
But to learn if there is anything that is beyond thought, beyond the intellect, beyond the routine, one must be free of all beliefs, mustn't one? Which doesn't mean you become an atheist. The atheists and the believers are both the same.

In any case, K thinks he has the answers to the Ultimate Question of "What is going on here...what is the nature of existence."

Frank the agnostic has a belief too... it is a belief in a form of unbelief. If the final result is to confess that one cannot know then it is a belief in unbelief. I think, to look in the face of creation and say one cannot know is to run from the reality of all realities. To scoff in the face of what IS known and to mock the certainty of that which plainly IS versus that which is not. To say that all which IS came from nothing or the unknowable is not logic. It had to come from something that transcends all time and matter. It is only logic that we are in the image of this presumed unknowable thing... so to know this we need only to look into ourselves. When we find the timeless virtues within ourselves we will also have found the image of God within.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2004 01:39 pm
fresco wrote:
Frank,

Krishnamurti's method is never to give "answers" but to exhort the listeners to "observe themselves".
He completely rejects any "authority" attached to himself (whom he calls "the speaker").
This process of questioning of synthetic boundaries is a little bit like the celebrated Sherlock Holmes' fictional dictum "when we have eliminated all we can, whatever is left contains "the truth" however unlikely this may seem".

Of course one of the most difficult things to do IS to ruthlessly observe the self. We have so many vested interests wrapped up in our many rationalizations that for most the inclination simply does not arise. Using the label "belief system" for what in essence a "meditative exercise" could be merely an excuse for letting sleeping dogs lie.

The last thing in the world I ever strive for is to "let sleeping dogs lie."

It is not in my nature.

In any case, Fresco, I think we've got to agree to disagree on this issue.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2004 01:43 pm
RexRed wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
fresco wrote:
Frank,

I have read it.

Quote:

Frank the agnostic has a belief too... it is a belief in a form of unbelief.

If the final result is to confess that one cannot know then it is a belief in unbelief.

Bullshyt!

Quote:
I think, to look in the face of creation and say one cannot know is to run from the reality of all realities.

Yes, I know you do. Your belief system is very solid!

Quote:
To scoff in the face of what IS known and to mock the certainty of that which plainly IS versus that which is not. To say that all which IS came from nothing or the unknowable is not logic.

Yeah...but you have no problem having your God come from nothing.

There is nothing even remotely logical about your position, Rex.

Quote:
It had to come from something that transcends all time and matter. It is only logic that we are in the image of this presumed unknowable thing... so to know this we need only to look into ourselves. When we find the timeless virtues within ourselves we will also have found the image of God within.

Look up the word "rationalization."

Look up the term "self-serving."
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2004 01:48 pm
RexRed wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
Rex

You wrote:

RexRed wrote:
When you look to yourself you will become lonely. When you look to others you will be let down. When you look to God you will never be let down and you will never be alone.

And then immediately posted:

Quote:
Sound logic.

In a way, you are correct...it is a form of sound logic.

But it would have been just as "sound logic" if you had written...

..."...When you look to Santa Claus you will never be let down..."

Frank the only fault with your logic here is...

You really shouldn't talk about faults with other people's logic, Rex. It is embarrassing, because your own logic is so faulty...it might as well be non-existent.

Quote:
... that Santa Clause is not the supposed "person" that people refer to as "creating the heavens and the earth". If that claim were to be imposed upon Jolly Old Santa then I would agree that Santa would never let you down. It is the creator of our universe that is all powerful regardless of what you may want to call him/her by name.

You claimed that a person would not be lonely if they looked to a god. I claim that a person would not be lonely if they look to Santa Claus.

Both comments are self-fulfilling...and both are, in a real sense, absurd.
0 Replies

RexRed

Frank

It is not self serving to say we are in "God's" image... It is self serving to rationalize, in the face of reality, that one cannot know so they can usurp the position of God for their own glory.
0 Replies

RexRed

Frank

I concede to God you rationalize to deny God for your own denial of the truth.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2004 04:03 pm
RexRed wrote:
Frank

It is not self serving to say we are in "God's" image... It is self serving to rationalize, in the face of reality, that one cannot know so they can usurp the position of God for their own glory.

Yes it is, Rex. It is extemely self-serving to say anything about any God's...considering the evidence you are using.

But you have a closed mind...so it is difficult for you to see that.

Try opening it a bit.

You also wrote:

Quote:

You normally don't make much sense...but in this sentence, you truly outdid yourself.

I have absolutely no idea of what you were trying to communicate.

Is English a second language with you?
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2004 07:13 pm
fresco wrote:
Kuvasz,

Thanks for the term "perennial philosophy"...any recommended links ?

hey there good buddy fresco. aldous huxley wrote a book called "The Perennial Philosophy" it is about the finest anthoplogy on the subject one can find.

i just finished it, again, for about the 10th time over the last few decades. you will enjoy it immensely.

later writers such as joseph campbell, ken wilber, alan watts, and other "consciousness" subject writers have all drawn from the well of ideas Huxley presented in his text.

on edit:

http://www.kheper.net/theoryofeverything/perennial_philosophy.html

Quote:
The Perennial Philosophy
"These teachings are, therefore, no novelties, no inventions of today, but long since stated, if not stressed; our doctrine here is the explanation of an earlier and can show the antiquity of these opinions on the testimony of Plato himself."
Plotinus, Enneads, V, I, 8

The term "Perennial Philosophy" refers to the thesis that the same timeless truths about the nature of the self, the world, the meaning of life, and deity, reappear time and again, regardless of culture or belief-system, differeing only in external culturally-determined details. The existence of such a universal wisdom tradition has been variously argued by Aldous Huxley, Huston Smith, Ken Wilber, and representatives of the Traditionalist movement, among others

The ubiquity of the Perennial Philosophy can variously be explained as due to either that

Reality has a specific "structure" which mystics and visionaries of all times and cultures have tuned into
The human brain has a specific "structure" which mystics and visionaries of all times and cultures have tuned into. This describes the "deep structures" of the brain (or mind) but has nothing to say about reality itself
Some paleolithic genius came up with a central idea or set of ideas and this was carried down and eventually spread through all cultures. Different traditions added their own embelleshments (again sometimes borrowing from each other)
Of these options we can easily reject the last; it does not explain how mystics came upon these ideas independent of religion or background, or schizophrenics or patients undergoing psychoanalysis can come up with alchemical or gnostic wisdom without knowing anything about the original (often very obscure and little known sources, as C. G. Jung found), and the comprehensive scope of the Perennial Philosophy is too integral to be carried on without fragmentation or distortion.

The second option assumes metaphysical nihilism or at least metaphysical agnosticism; we cannot know about Reality in itself, only about the brain or other things in the phsyical world. But this basically materialistic or quasi-materialistic itself makes huge assumptions about there being a physical world of such and such properties, human knowledge is limited in such and such a way, etc etc, and these assumptions are specifically part and parcel of the cultural-memetic bias of the secular west. Since there is no reason why the secular west should be any more insightful than say the wisdom traditions of sages past and present, there is no reason this option should be preferred to any other (one cannot say "because the secular west perfect science, and science is so accurate in explaining the world", because science makes no metaphysical statements either way)

That leaves only the first option, which is the position I adopt here

The Perennial Philosophy can thus be considered a valid or reliable source of knowledge

But - important! - to say the Perennial Philosophy consitutes a form of authentic knowledge does not mean that anything that is included under the Perennial Philosophy is automatically gospel truth, and conversely that anything that is not part of the Perennial Philosophy must therefore deficient or unreliable. Such a position - taken by the anti-modernist school of Rene Guenon (i.e. "Traditionalism") - is, like all such extremist and literalist statements, both incorrect as far as understanding the physical universe goes (e.g. the struct Traditionalists reject Evolution in favour of a modified (monotheistic-ecumenical) Creationism, although it has conclusively been shown that Creationism is incorrect both factually and in terms of its methodology), seriously narrows the scope of the knowable and denies new frontiers of knowledge, thus creating a new straightjacket to replace the straightjacket of reductionist materilaism.

Because the Perennial Philosophy constitutes the majority view of pre-modernist understanding, that does not mean it is the only view.

So, while we can say that the Perennial Philosophy constitutes one form of authentic knowledge, and as such serves as an essential reference for the creation of any Provisional Metaphysical Theory of Everything; it is necessary to also acknowledge that there are many things that are not included in the Perennial Philosophy, indeed some that actually go against the Perennial Philosophy (e.g. nirvana or liberation is not the highest goal of existence, or science gives a reliable account of external physical reality, or animals have as developed a soul as man) which are I would contend are also equally valid.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2004 09:34 pm
Fresco and Kuvasz, thanks for the Krishnamurti and Perennial Philosophy links. They have long been fountains of inspiration for me. It is a shame that Frank cannot see that what Krishnamurti recommends is quite the opposite of a belief system; he only recommends that one see for himself the nature of his reality, much as the Buddha recommended that each of us be a lantern unto ourselves. Nice thread. I'm no believer in any kind of God, but I appreciate much of what RexRed has stated here.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2004 10:26 pm
There are two scenes in my favorite religious film that ring true to the heart of this discussion.

"BlindMn: I am healed! The master has healed me!

Brian: I didn't touch him!

BlindMn: I was blind, and now I can see! Oh!

--------[The blind man throws away his cane, and steps forward... right into the hole. Nobody notices.]

Folowrs: A miracle! A miracle!

Hermit: [After coming back to Brian.]
Tell them to stop it. I hadn't said a word for eighteen years 'till he came along.

Folowrs: A miracle! He is the Messiah!

Hermit: Well he hurt my foot!

Folowrs: Hurt my foot lord, hurt mine.

Folowr3: Hail, messiah.

--------[They all get down on their knees.]

Brian: I'm not the messiah.

Folowr3: I say you are, lord, and I should know... I've followed a few.

Folowrs" Hail messiah!

Brian: I'm not the messiah, would you please listen. I'm not the messiah, do you understand? Honestly!

Folowr4: Only the true messiah denies his divinity.

Brian: What? Well what sort of chance does that give me? All right, I AM the messiah.

Folowrs: He IS! He IS the messiah!

--------[They prostrate themselves in front of him.]

Brian: Now fukk off!

Folowr3: How shall we fukk off oh lord?

AND

Crowd: BRIAN. BRIAN

Brian: Good Morning.

Crowd: A BLESSING! A BLESSING! A BLESSING!

Brian: No, No. please, please, please listen. I've got one or two things to say.

Crowd: TELL US! TELL US BOTH OF THEM.

Brian: Look. You've got it all wrong. You don't Need to follow me. You don't Need to follow anybody. You've got to think for yourselves. You're all individuals.

Crowd: YES! WE'RE ALL INDIVIDUALS!

Brian You're all different.

Crowd YES. WE ARE ALL DIFFERENT.

Folowr5: I'm not.

Crowd: Ssssh. Sssh.

Brian: You've all got to work it our for yourselves.

Crowd: YES. WE'VE GOT TO WORK IT OUT FOR OURSELVES.

Brian: Exactly.

Crowd: TELL US MORE!

Brian: No. That's the point. Don't let anyone tell you what to do."
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2004 11:11 pm
That's pretty much what happened in the case of Krishnamurti. He denied his divinity and in the process gained an unwanted following.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 06:26 am
Frank Apisa wrote:
RexRed wrote:
Frank

Yes it is, Rex. It is extemely self-serving to say anything about any God's...considering the evidence you are using.

But you have a closed mind...so it is difficult for you to see that.

Try opening it a bit.

Frank

How can it be self serving to give thanks to God? It is self serving to deny God the thanks for a rationalization that you cannot know God so you don't need to be thankful. I am thankful to my parents I do not need to know them (although I do know them) to know I was born like everyone else. It is simple logic to realize that this earth did not just pop out of a balloon. The powers that be are logically responsible and though I do not understand them as a god myself I do give a moment of pause and give due respect. Unlike you who chooses to place an obstacle of self rationalization in the way of a compliment to the most high.

Also... I have an open mind but how open should it be? I choose to not have it so open that my brains fall out.

Frank Apisa wrote:

You also wrote:

Quote:

You normally don't make much sense...but in this sentence, you truly outdid yourself.

I have absolutely no idea of what you were trying to communicate.

Is English a second language with you?

Look the words up in the dictionary they have meaning the way they are written.

http://dictionary.com
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 01:16 pm
Quote:
the human desire is insatiable. that is is the reason. when the needs gets to ends, ends gets to needs. it is toomuch for us desire that that end meets end.

It's a bit contradictory, that the point of acting on desire is to satisfy it, yet we are never really satisfied. We don't desire for desire simply. If our desires are insatiable, then we must desire for the right things. There should be a check on our desires.

I do believe however, that there is such thing as satisfaction. There are things to be desired and there are things to be satisfied with. Desire can also destroy a nation.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 01:17 pm
JLNobody wrote:
Fresco and Kuvasz, thanks for the Krishnamurti and Perennial Philosophy links. They have long been fountains of inspiration for me. It is a shame that Frank cannot see that what Krishnamurti recommends is quite the opposite of a belief system;...

It is even a greater shame that you guys cannot see that, in fact, what K preaches IS A BELIEF SYSTEM....and one very much related to theism...at least, the Christian area of theism.

Essentially K is saying that one can meditate and "become one with the all" or to "perceive that we are one." And all one has to do in order to have this wonderous insight...is to get away from the ego...the self.

Gimme a break!

Christians argue that if only a person were willing to accept the notion of a God...and then ask that God to reveal himself...

...HE WILL.

Well of course he will...IF you do that thing.

And if you do what K asks of you....which is to reject the notion of self and ego...you will feel the oneness with the all...or some other such bullshyt.

Well of course you will...IF you do that thing.

The question I would ask K...and the question I ask all of you....(EACH TIME WITH NO REASONABLE REPLY)...is...

...when you are supposing you are being one with the all...how do you know you are not deluding yourself?

HOW DO YOU KNOW YOU ARE NOT DELUDING YOURSELF??????

(Lemme give you a hint on answer to this question:

you don't!}

Quote:
...he only recommends that one see for himself the nature of his reality, much as the Buddha recommended that each of us be a lantern unto ourselves.

He recommends that one do something that may be nothing more than a delusion!

And he is fostering a belief system.
How does one know one is not deluding one's self??????
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 02:08 pm
Frank, I don't want to respond to your rigid assertions, but I must insist that you undoubtedly DO NOT understand Krishnamurti. For one to "reject the notion of the self or ego" (in order to become enlightened) is to merely reinforce the delusion of the ego, to maintain the "fragmentation" that K refers to.

-edited
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 02:12 pm
JLNobody wrote:
Frank, I don't want to respond to your rigid assertions, but I do not want to say that you undoubtedly DO NOT understand Krishnamurti. For one to "reject the notion of the self or ego" (in order to become enlightened) is to merely reinforce the delusion of the ego, to maintain the "fragmentation" that K refers to.

Whatever!

I'm beginning to understand why you thanked Rex.

You and he think alike.
0 Replies