The Problem of Self

RexRed

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2004 05:23 am
Frank Apisa wrote:
Jesus Christ, Rex...every time someone shows that the Bible says something you don't want to accept...you pretend the word means something else.

Now you are saying that the Bible has been mistranslated...and that it really meant to say "father" not "husband!"

What kind of terror could possibly make anyone that blind.

The geneology traced in that passage was directly to Joseph...Mary's husband.

Really...you have got to stop pretending that every time you encounter something you don't want to accept...that the words have been mistranslated. Don't you realize that your god hates liars damn near as much as he hates homosexuals.

Frank

I read the "research" on the word father/husband years ago in the said passage... I will look it up and post it for you if you are interested... I do not expect you to just believe everything I say... but over time I expect a little respect for my opinion even if it disagrees with traditional "religion"...

Just think about our culture.. when one says "their old man" do they mean husband or father? You need to get with the program and not be so skeptical. Almost every language has an interchangeable word for husband/father.

Do you think for one moment that the translators of the Bible were infallible? If so it is no wonder why you have so many questions. Every serious biblical research student owns a concordance and regularly traces the Greek/Aramaic words from the English to check translation verity.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2004 05:49 am
Frank,

Please give me an explanation to this one...

Matthew 1:16
And Jacob begat Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus, who is called Christ.

Luke 3:23
3:23
And Jesus himself began to be about thirty years of age, being (as was supposed) the son of Joseph, which was the son of Heli,

Comment:
Which of the two were Joseph's father? Heli or Jacob? She did not have two husbands named Joseph...

Here is the research...

The word "husband" is the Greek word andra,
from the root word aner. The word aner simply means
"a male person of full age and stature," in contrast
to a child or a female. It is used of men in various
relationships, but its specific usage must always be
derived from the context. Indeed aner can be and is
translated "husband" in some contexts, but its normal
translation is "man."

In Matthew 1:16, Joseph is the aner, "the man" of
Mary. The Aramaic word translated in English
"husband" is gavra. Gavra means "mighty man." In
Biblical culture the father who is the head of the
household is "the mighty man." The son would not
be considered "the mighty man" of the household
until the father died, at which time the younger person
would become the head of the household.

Therefore, the English phrase "Joseph the husband"
in Matthew 1:16 is properly translated from
the Aramaic as "Joseph the mighty man [gavra, the
father] of Mary."

This truth is substantiated even further in Matthew
1:19 where the word "husband" is properly
translated in the King James Version. There, this
word which refers to Mary's husband Joseph is bala
in Aramaic. It is not gavra, as in Matthew 1:16.
That is because Matthew 1:16 speaks of Joseph who
was Mary's father, her gavra, while in contrast, Matthew
1:19 speaks of Joseph who was Mary's husband,
her bala. Hence, Mary's father's name was
Joseph, and Mary's husband's name also was
Joseph.

We have utilized Greek, Aramaic, the recorded
genealogies, and ancient custom to demonstrate that
the word "husband" in Matthew 1:16 should be
rendered "father."

Comment:
I have more on this very subject if this does not convince you.

So can we conclude the prophecies of old are a bit closer to being fulfilled?

Also I don't think you are qualified as of yet to tell me who God "hates"...

God does ask us to "study" his Word and not just interpret on face value. In proper study we are not "ashamed" of the interpretation...

2 Timothy 2:15
Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

2 Peter 1:20
Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.

Commnet:
"Rightly dividing" come from Euclidian geometry meaning to divide to the extent that there is no remainder. To say that the Joseph of the Matthew geneology is Mary's husband leaves the remainder of the other scripture in Luke that says Heli is Josephs father... When it is considered that Mary's father was Joseph "also" then there is no remainder left.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2004 08:41 am
RexRed wrote:
Frank,

And Jacob begat Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus, who is called Christ.

And Jesus himself began to be about thirty years of age, being (as was supposed) the son of Joseph, which was the son of Heli,

Comment:
Which of the two were Joseph's father? Heli or Jacob? She did not have two husbands named Joseph...

My explanation, Rex, is that the Bible is filled with inconsistencies...which is the norm for a book of mythology. That being the case, I do not fault it on that account.

Quote:

Here is the research...

translation is "man."

father] of Mary."

Joseph.

rendered "father."

Please give me a citation for this "research" which sounds like not especially good rationalization to me.

In any case, if you were to google "Geneology of Jesus" you will probably find tens of thousands of discussions of this issue...and damn near every one of them will acknowledge that one geneology goes to the geneology of Mary...and the other goes to the geneology of Joseph, Mary's HUSBAND...and the (supposed) step-father of Jesus.

Now I am sure you will find one or two (perhaps Jehovah's Witnesses sources) that will contradict what is obviously the case...but you and others who play this game are doing exactly that...playing a game.

Quote:

In no way, shape, or form. The prophecies are baloney...and about as forced as any mythology has ever attempted.

Quote:

I suspect I am a lot more qualified than you suspect...but, I doubt you will open your eyes to see that.

Quote:
God does ask us to "study" his Word and not just interpret on face value. In proper study we are not "ashamed" of the interpretation...

No, I think not. I suspect it is your religion that asks you to accept their interpretations, rationalizations, and justifications...and to pretend that doing so constitutes "study."

You folks don't "study" the Bible, Rex, you rationalize it.

But if it calms your tredpit heart, Rex...do it in good health, my friend.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2004 10:27 am
Frank Apisa wrote:
RexRed wrote:
Frank,

Comment:

My explanation, Rex, is that the Bible is filled with inconsistencies...which is the norm for a book of mythology. That being the case, I do not fault it on that account.

Quote:

Here is the research...

translation is "man."

father] of Mary."

Joseph.

rendered "father."

Please give me a citation for this "research" which sounds like not especially good rationalization to me.

In any case, if you were to google "Geneology of Jesus" you will probably find tens of thousands of discussions of this issue...and damn near every one of them will acknowledge that one geneology goes to the geneology of Mary...and the other goes to the geneology of Joseph, Mary's HUSBAND...and the (supposed) step-father of Jesus.

Now I am sure you will find one or two (perhaps Jehovah's Witnesses sources) that will contradict what is obviously the case...but you and others who play this game are doing exactly that...playing a game.

Quote:

In no way, shape, or form. The prophecies are baloney...and about as forced as any mythology has ever attempted.

Quote:

I suspect I am a lot more qualified than you suspect...but, I doubt you will open your eyes to see that.

Quote:

No, I think not. I suspect it is your religion that asks you to accept their interpretations, rationalizations, and justifications...and to pretend that doing so constitutes "study."

You folks don't "study" the Bible, Rex, you rationalize it.

But if it calms your tredpit heart, Rex...do it in good health, my friend.

Frank it is you that are full of myths and you need to ask Google to make up your own mind... that is pathetic.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2004 10:32 am
Frank

I made my case on sound biblical research and used the scriptures and word studies to back up my assertions... You have presented nothing but conjecture and have nothing to base it on but hot air.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2004 01:34 pm
Frank,

Leave it to you when you find out that Joseph has "two" fathers named to doubt the integrity of the Bible rather than to seek the truth of the matter.

This is the pattern I see in your sloppy self serving search for God... It is no wonder that you think it is unknowable... you are standing in your own way.

I have tried honestly to help you see this but you prefer a fog over the truth and are not honest to me, yourself or God.

I believe in the power of the truth and you prefer to insult the story and liken it to fables rather than to piece it together with "love" (a concept that you also mock)...

Though I do not stand in judgment of you, I do see why you do not "know" God. Because you have not been fair to God. You have treated God worse than you would expect people to treat you. Would you like people to just flippantly regard what you say as a bunch of incoherent ramblings? What the heck is your mind for than to sow discord. This is a shame. You are not fooling me Frank, you are only fooling yourself...

Your last rebuttals, to me, have been on the level of juvenile.

Yes, you have asked some good questions I highly commend you for them, really, but when I have presented you with logical answers you have reacted with egotistical pride and childish mockery.

Try some spiritual maturity and put some true heart into your replies and you will find much greater rewards for the effort.

I do not imply that I myself am so flawless I have been incoherent at time and I am sorry for that, but I at least am not so haughty that I cannot admit when I may have or have been mistaken...

I like discourse with you very much but not when you do not concede when there is ground to be made. You are delusional... You just want to rip up the foundations of all structured views of God so you can keep up your stubborn assertions that God cannot be known. Of course God cannot be known when you close your eyes or scoff in the face of sound logic.

The truth is out there but it is you that refuses to let it speak to you... If you really look closely at how you have reacted to me pointing out concrete "biblical research" you have fought it unfairly... this is not a balanced and objective opinion but blind sighted. Even if I am guessing you cannot make a calculated guess because of personal bias. You have muddled the biblical picture intentionally, I can only assume so you can reject it.

You ask for my sources, they are the King James Bible. You can look these words up yourself... If you cannot follow their simple logic what good are naming my sources going to do? So you can be rank and openly insult them? I will tell you my sources someday when I feel I am in better hands...
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2004 02:26 pm
RexRed wrote:
father] of Mary."

Joseph.

Except that Mary's father's name was Joachim, not Joseph.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2004 03:10 pm
Since you are probably going to tell Joe that Joachim translates to Joseph (which is why I didn't mention it when I wrote last) I will ask you once again for the research citation.

I suspect you are using Jehovah's Witnesses propaganda...but I would like to be sure.

In any case...why are you so upset with me, when I did ask you for the further information you offered.

Am I supposed to take your word for the fact that Luke actually meant "father" rather than "husband?"

And what is this problem you have with Googling to get information? Would you give me as much shyt if I told you I went to a library?

Did I give you any grief when you went to research your facts?

What is it with you?
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2004 11:08 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
RexRed wrote:
father] of Mary."

Joseph.

Except that Mary's father's name was Joachim, not Joseph.

The Catholic encyclopedia says of their assertion that Mary's father was Joachim...

True, this tradition seems to rest ultimately on the so-called "Gospel of James", the "Gospel of the Nativity of the Blessed Mary", and the Pseudo-Matthew, or "Book of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary and of the Childhood of the Saviour"; and this origin is likely to rouse well-founded suspicions.

Comment:
These books mentioned above were written if not a few hundred years after the Gospels.

Here is a link to more of the research I posted before...

And NO Frank it is not from the Jehovah's Witnesses...
Another slur to insult my sources... I might also add the the Jehovah's witnesses do have some very sound research though not all is reliable of course. No more reliable than Joachim being Mary's father...

I might also add the it is the Bible that says the "Mighty man" of Mary is Joseph not me.

Also I was incorrect when I said that both genealogies Matthew/Luke were from Mary... The one in Luke is from Joseph the "husband" of Mary... Please excuse my error... It has been a few years since I have breached this subject.

This research explains this. http://rexred.com/Royal.html (this took me a while to put in digital form I hope you all appreciate the effort)

After studying this, I tend to accept this study over the research done in the Catholic encyclopedia on the subject of Mary's father... It was not Joachim but Joseph. I have used my honest intellect to decide and not personal bias...
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2004 11:34 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
Since you are probably going to tell Joe that Joachim translates to Joseph (which is why I didn't mention it when I wrote last) I will ask you once again for the research citation.

I suspect you are using Jehovah's Witnesses propaganda...but I would like to be sure.

In any case...why are you so upset with me, when I did ask you for the further information you offered.

Am I supposed to take your word for the fact that Luke actually meant "father" rather than "husband?"

And what is this problem you have with Googling to get information? Would you give me as much shyt if I told you I went to a library?

Did I give you any grief when you went to research your facts?

What is it with you?

Frank
I am not really upset with you...
But you have insulted my view rather then giving me a bit of room for having specific knowledge on the subject. You accuse me of making things up when I have concrete examples and viable studies under my belt. I realize that there is a shock factor involved but how about a little bit of respect? I don't expect you to have known that Mary's father was Joseph too but it is not so unlikely given the studies I have presented... considering that Joseph was such a common name at the time also.

It does miff me a bit that whenever you do not like the answer you just state that it is all myths and has no coherent meaning anyway.

I cannot reasonably accept that there is no real geneology attributed to Jesus Christ in the Bible but only Jesus' step father... this is both inaccurate and shows a lack of Biblical understanding. Mary would have to have been descended from Abraham, David and Solomon in order for Jesus Christ to have any right to the throne in a patriarchal royal lineage.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 06:30 am
RexRed wrote:
The Catholic encyclopedia says of their assertion that Mary's father was Joachim...

True, this tradition seems to rest ultimately on the so-called "Gospel of James", the "Gospel of the Nativity of the Blessed Mary", and the Pseudo-Matthew, or "Book of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary and of the Childhood of the Saviour"; and this origin is likely to rouse well-founded suspicions.

You are correct...the source for the parentage of Mary is derived from Apocryphal sources. And if you too choose to be suspicious of those sources...no problem. I am suspicious of all Biblical sources as well.

However, to then choose to say that Mary's father's name was actually Joseph…based on nothing…well…where is the sense in that?

Quote:

Quote:
These books mentioned above were written if not a few hundred years after the Gospels.

Not sure what that sentence was trying to convey...but I will agree that most Biblical material was written much later than most Christians want to suppose.

Quote:
Here is a link to more of the research I posted before...

And NO Frank it is not from the Jehovah's Witnesses...

Really?

And how do you know it is not from the Jehovah's Witnesses...since it is simply a collection of words with absolutely no source whatsoever given in it.

And how can you, with a straight face, possibly talk about suspicion for the Books of the Apocrypha...and then reject the monumental, well-documented, scholarly Catholic Encyclopedia...and use an unsigned, undocumented piece of writing as a "source" instead?

Are you a serious person? Some of your lecturing of me indicates that you think I do not take you as a serious person, Rex...but you don't write like someone who is serious.

Quote:
Also I was incorrect when I said that both genealogies Matthew/Luke were from Mary... The one in Luke is from Joseph the "husband" of Mary... Please excuse my error... It has been a few years since I have breached this subject.

No problem. We all make mistakes...and I thank you for, and respect you for...this comment.

Quote:
This research explains this. http://rexred.com/Royal.html (this took me a while to put in digital form I hope you all appreciate the effort)

After studying this, I tend to accept this study over the research done in the Catholic encyclopedia on the subject of Mary's father... It was not Joachim but Joseph. I have used my honest intellect to decide and not personal bias...

Of course it is a personal bias, Rex...it cannot be an honest intellectual exercise...because in the apocryphal writings, you have material that was set on record (as you estimate) within a hundred or so years of the founding of Christianity...and with the "research source" you have an unidentified, apparently modern day source who is simply saying things you think help your thesis.

In any case, we are getting far astray...and it is obvious to me that you will suppose that the 871 prophesies of the Old Testament were all met...no matter how much scholarship is brought to bear questioning the tenuous...often laughable...grammatical gerrymandering that is shown.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 07:15 am
Frank you wrote:

Really?

And how do you know it is not from the Jehovah's Witnesses...since it is simply a collection of words with absolutely no source whatsoever given in it.

And how can you, with a straight face, possibly talk about suspicion for the Books of the Apocrypha...and then reject the monumental, well-documented, scholarly Catholic Encyclopedia...and use an unsigned, undocumented piece of writing as a "source" instead?

Comment:

I know who wrote the work and if you choose to think it is from the Jehovah's Witnesses then so be it, but, I know it is not because I know the author's name and denomination. It is the substance of the words that are written... and not the importance of the writer that matters.

About the Roman Catholic Encyclopedia... I have found it to be a great source of learning. I diverge from it's accuracy when it relies on tradition over the written word. (It does this quite liberally) It is the Bible that names Mary's father as Joseph and the Bible that names Mary's husband Joseph's father... I choose to believe the written word of the Bible over traditions of any religion.

The Bible tells us that Jesus was descended from David, Abraham and Solomon.. and it makes no sense that it would only give Joseph, Mary's husbands genealogy but not give Mary's of whom he was actually related by blood to... Why would the Bible tell us who he was descended from then give genealogies that are not relevant to his royal bloodline...

With all considered I think it does give his genealogy in Matthew and to me it is a part of logic and not something that I have to stretch the Bible to make it work.

"As the Messiah, Jesus Christ had to fulfill certain genealogical requirements promised in the Old Testament, among them, he had to be a descendant of Abraham; and he had to be a descendant of King David. The Old Testament further stipulated that the Messiah's royal lineage would trace its way through King David and Solomon. Besides
being the son of Adam, Abraham, and David, the Messiah would also have to be the Son of God. Jesus Christ's genealogy, as with all people, was determined by his mother and her predecessors."

Acts 2:30
Therefore being a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him, that of the fruit of his [David's] loins, according to the flesh, he would raise up Christ to sit on his throne;

Romans 1:3
Concerning his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, which was made of the seed of David according to the flesh;
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 07:31 am
RexRed wrote:
Frank you wrote:

Really?

Comment:

I know who wrote the work and if you choose to think it is from the Jehovah's Witnesses then so be it, but, I know it is not because I know the author's name and denomination. It is the substance of the words that are written... and not the importance of the writer that matters.

Rex…you have cited as your source…and unnamed, undocumented collection of words that you may have made up yourself…and now you are getting in a huff because it is questioned.

And you reject the scholarship of the Catholic Encyclopedia and the books of the Apocrypha…in favor of this unnamed, undocumented source supposedly in the name of intellectual reason and logic…instead of mere bias.

Give us a break here, will ya!

Identify your source…or don't.

It is your choice.

But don't pretend indignation if someone gets a laugh out of nonsense like this.

Quote:
About the Roman Catholic Encyclopedia... I have found it to be a great source of learning. I diverge from it's accuracy when it relies on tradition over the written word. (It does this quite liberally) It is the Bible that names Mary's father as Joseph and the Bible that names Mary's husband Joseph's father... I choose to believe the written word of the Bible over traditions of any religion.

Once again…gimme the source!

Where, as you state here, does the Bible name Joseph as Mary's father?

And while you are at it, where, does the Bible name "Mary's husband Joseph's father?" (Whatever that means???)
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 02:36 pm
And what does all this historical theology have to do with the problem of the self?
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 04:22 pm
Its about "self maintenance" ! :wink:
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 05:50 pm
Isn't that always the case? Laughing
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 09:52 pm
fresco wrote:
Its about "self maintenance" ! :wink:

Fresco, once again you are right on target.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 10:25 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
RexRed wrote:
Frank you wrote:

Really?

Comment:

Rex…you have cited as your source…and unnamed, undocumented collection of words that you may have made up yourself…and now you are getting in a huff because it is questioned.

And you reject the scholarship of the Catholic Encyclopedia and the books of the Apocrypha…in favor of this unnamed, undocumented source supposedly in the name of intellectual reason and logic…instead of mere bias.

Give us a break here, will ya!

Identify your source…or don't.

It is your choice.

But don't pretend indignation if someone gets a laugh out of nonsense like this.

Quote:

Once again…gimme the source!

Where, as you state here, does the Bible name Joseph as Mary's father?

And while you are at it, where, does the Bible name "Mary's husband Joseph's father?" (Whatever that means???)

Frank,

You do not have to have a doctorate in theology to use the thing between your ears...

Comment:

Here is the research...

translation is "man."

father] of Mary."

Joseph.

rendered "father."

Comment:

The Roman Catholic Encyclopedia goes outside the revelation given to the first century apostles for answers.. They do not address any of the points in the article above... Why? Possibly because they are so used to tradition that they have not even thought about the possibility. regardless, the truth exists over and above their assertions.

If you would take a concordance and research the words "andra", "aner", "bala" and "gavra" you would come to the same conclusion as the person who wrote the articles above and by the way does have at least one doctorate in theology and greek/aramaic. I just have too much respect and love for him to have his name bantered around in this post. He is also someone whom I have met and have been taught personally by.

He is now deceased and none of his books are available in bookstores or the internet.. a few on ebay but that is it. I own all 12 of his books and lovingly refer to him as my "father in the word" because he fathered the word of God in me.

It is the Word of God that has formed the self that I have today and I feel so blessed to have this knowledge firsthand from this master of the Bible.

Let the words stand on their own.

My "source" is the Bible and if you study it you will come to the same conclusions.

Do I need to post the scriptures and the same genealogies again? If you are just going on blind faith and allegiance to the Roman Catholic encyclopedia, how can I possibly help?

I have given you my sources before on Abuzz and you did not lift an eyebrow then, why now, if not to just slander his name? I am not into the attacks on character but the weight and the substance of his words. I am not here to slander the Roman catholic church in light of their seemingly barbaric history I expect likewise.
0 Replies

Xior

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 10:27 pm
there is no probelm of self. becuase i have no problem with my self, so no probelm with self exists.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 10:31 pm
Xior wrote:
there is no probelm of self. becuase i have no problem with my self, so no probelm with self exists.

Sounds a bit farsighted, like saying, it is because, I say so.
0 Replies