Big River

sozobe

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 05:44 pm
I might see my first actual Broadway show! I've been following this one since it began in L.A., with people I know in the cast, then reading the (quite good) reviews in the New York Times and New Yorker. It's coming to Columbus!

Has anyone else seen it? Does anyone know what it means, exactly, if the Broadway show is coming to Columbus -- is it automatically not as good as the version I read reviews of?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,964 • Replies: 17
No top replies

mac11

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 09:18 pm
Soz, it's going to be great. I promise!

I didn't see this new version of Big River, but I saw several clips on TV and read a lot about it too. If you've been reading about it all along, then you know how special it is. They've worked hard to make it completely accessible to hearing and deaf audiences. I can't think of a single mainstream play that has gone to these lengths. Not just using an interpreter for one or two performances, but making the sign language part of the show. Very interesting.

Touring companies don't always have big-name stars, but Big River wasn't using stars on B'way either. The sets and lighting are usually simplified, but then Big River has fairly simple production values anyway.

I've seen lots of touring shows and I have always enjoyed them.

When will you be going to see the show?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2004 09:40 am
There's a broken heart for every light on Broadway--meaning there are more talented actors than available parts.

Some of these actors languish as whinging wanna-bes, but the best of them join touring companies to get experience, beef up their resumes and be ready for the lucky break.

You'll see excellent theater.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2004 09:47 am
Yep, if I remember right it was actually developed by deaf actors and the accessibility actually went the opposite direction, making it accessible to hearing people. I think it started with DeafWest, a highly regarded deaf theater company in L.A.

So it sounds like it will be second-tier, but the second tier is likely to still be fabulous...?

I'm excited! It's here in February I believe.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2004 09:59 am
One of my favorite songs from Big River, Soz:

Song: WORLDS APART

JIM:
I see the same stars through my window
That you see through yours
But we're worlds apart
Worlds apart
And I see the same skies through brown eyes
That you see through blue
But we're worlds apart, worlds apart
Just like the earth, just like the sun
Two worlds together are better than one
I see the sun rise in your eyes
That you see in mine

HUCK:
I see the same stars through my window
That you see through yours

BOTH:
And you see the same skies through brown eyes
That I see through blue
Just like the earth, just like the sun
Two worlds together are better than one
I see the friendship in your eyes
That you see in mine
Together, but worlds apart
And a mockingbird sings in an ol' yonder tree
Twaddle-ee ah dee dee dah dee dee dee
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 01:40 pm
So, soz, will the sozlet be going too? Or is she still too little? I bet she would love it.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 09:50 am
Sozobe, did you get tickets for this? When will it be?
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 10:02 am
I always loved the late Roger Miller, one of Nashville's greatest songwriters. Big River is a living testament to his status in popular American music history.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 10:05 am
http://www.rogermiller.com/memorybook/RM_w_Rocco_Landesman.gif

Roger and producer Rocco Landesman who pushed Miller to his greatest triumph
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 10:17 am
D'oh thanks for the reminder, mac. I dunno when it will be here, I think now-ish. Will look.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 10:19 am
February 11th - 13th!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 10:33 am
I haven't been able to find tickets for less than $110 EACH yet. Whoa nelly!
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 10:55 am
Damn! I guess that answers the question about whether you were going to bring the sozlet to the play!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 11:00 am
I found some better prices tho I think -- ~$45/ea ($35 list and then all these charges tacked on.)

Still pricey!

Not sure if I'd bring sozlet. I think I'd bring her to something more purely kiddie for her first theater experience. Seussical is coming to town, too.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 11:29 am
I saw Seussical in NY. Loved it! (The critics didn't though.)
0 Replies

lite2shine

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 12:34 am
Must See Musical!
Hi, I searched for Big River, Columbus and got here. I'm a huge fan of the show, and actually the show finished its run in Sacramento, CA today, and I saw the show FIVE times here (two weeks run).

I'm so jealous that the highest tix price in Columbus is only $45 (compared to $85 in LA and $65 in Sacto). And the theatre has "High 5" program where kids age between 13-18 can see a show for only $5.00! The show only run from 2/11-13 in Columbus (very odd) but you have to see it. Your native son, Stanley Bahorek is in the tour company, so you have to see him perform to support him! There will be a second company in D.C. from mid March and Stan will be Tom Sawyer in the company Smile

BTW, I created a fan site and you can read the interview of the cast and crew as well as check out the show clips and photos. I hope you'll check it out and go to see the show. Enjoy the show!

Light To Shine: Big River Fan Site

Edit: Moderator: Link removed
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 09:31 am
Hi lite2shine, welcome to A2K!

The hour draws near and I haven't decided yet. I'll regret it if I don't go, right?

Curious if you're deaf or hearing, in terms of how much you like the show.

I didn't know that about $5, wow!
0 Replies

lite2shine

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 02:56 pm
Hi, I am a hearing person. :wink:

Yes, you will regret it if you don't see the show. Especially if you can take the advantage of $5/ticket offer. That's cheaper than a movie and this is a Broadway musical! I hope many many people will see this show.
0 Replies