Is Busking True Performance Art?

Noddy24

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 11:44 am
Street performers attract the public into an area and encourage them to browse from performer to store to restaurant and back to performer. This creates a mutually beneficial commercial environment for the stores, performers and the public.

Street performers cost the city and stores nothing and attract large crowds of people who are introduced to the other establishments during their visits to see the performers. The public benefits because it is exposed to a variety of quality entertainment for a minimum of expense and they can feel a part of the process of supporting the arts.

There is also a benefit which can't be gauged in terms of dollars and cents. Performers encourage people to know each other and to be connected.

http://www.buskpittsburgh.com/history.htm

Busking also can relieve tedium while queuing, brighten a drab subway and amuse fractious children--but is it art?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 864 • Replies: 2
No top replies

mac11

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 09:26 pm
It's also a training ground for musicians and other performers. Lots of young artists make their first money by getting out on the sidewalk and entertaining the public.

Personally, I do consider it art. This sort of public entertainment has been around forever.

And I'd much rather have mimes and jugglers and musicians than panhandlers anyday...
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2004 11:30 am
I find a bit of Big City Glamour whenever I hear a busker playing in the subway. Ah, Real Life!
0 Replies