0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2017 04:44 pm
@maxdancona,
Thank for sure.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2017 04:51 pm
This is actually a better clip on rape jokes... from Louis CK.

Louis CK and Jon Stewart wrote:

Louis: Well, I had this weird thing that happened this week. I was on vacation. I was in Vermont, just being in the green of America.
Jon: Were you teaching them how to get sap out of trees the easier way?
Louis: Laughs. That’s right. And so I was in Vermont and I was watching TV in a hotel room, and Daniel Tosh’s show comes on, Tosh.0, and it’s making me laugh, it’s a funny show. So, I wasn’t reading the internet at the time, because that’s how I go on vacation, I really hate the internet, so, I just stop reading it. But I’m watching TV and Tosh is making me laugh, so I wrote a tweet to say “your show makes me laugh,” and then I put it down, and two days later, I come home and I read these like bloggers and Hollywood Reporter, “Louis C.K. Defends Daniel Tosh Amidst Rape Joke Controversy”
Audience laughing
Louis: I had no idea that he got in trouble for making some jokes about rape, and I didn’t know about it, and so… I’m a defender of rape, that’s what everybody says now. And I’ve read all of this stuff like “SHAME ON YOU, LOUIS C.K.,” “I’ll never watch your show,” “you’re a rape apologist.” I’ve been called a rape apologist ‘cause I said “hi” to a guy, ‘cause I said “hey, nice show” to a guy everybody was mad at. So, it’s…
Jon: So, you’ve really… you know the lesson here: never go to Vermont.
Louis: No, it’s dangerous… it’s dangerously… well, here’s the thing, this is like a fight between comedians and bloggers, which is, that’s, were all just like, hyperbole and garbage comes out of those two places. It’s also…
Jon: Those are two very similar groups
Louis: Uneducated, unfettered, just BLEEEEAAAAAAGHHHHHHH!
Jon: Say whatever pops into your head, like BLEAGHHH! And you do it for hummus.
Louis: It’s also a fight between comedians and feminists, which are natural enemies, because stereotypically speaking, feminists can’t take a joke.
Audience laughing, some getting upset and booing
Louis: …stereotypically speaking. And comedians… see? And comedians…
Audience laughing and cheering
Louis: And on the other side
Jon: I’m gonna have a chopper for you to send you back to Vermont right after the show
Louis: On the other side comedians can’t take criticism, comedians are big pussies, and they can’t… so, to one side you say “if you don’t like the jokes, stay out of the comedy club,” on the other side, you say “if you don’t like the criticism, stop Googling yourself every ten seconds.” Nobody’s making you read it. It’s positive! To me, all dialogue is positive.
Jon: And it’s a learning experience. I think, you know, what’s interesting is, these new technological innovations challenge the performers to… do you remember in the old days, comedy, you’d feed your family, you’d come up with 15 minutes of material, half of which was stolen, you’d feed your family for life. Then the variety show comes out, a guy goes on, he does his five minutes and he’s like “hey!” and he goes to the club and they’re like “uh, I’m sorry, you’ve already done that” and he’s like “what?”
Louis: No, exactly. And I see, I think you should listen. When you read… if someone has the opposite feeling for me, I wanna hear it so I can add to mine. I don’t wanna obliderate theirs with mine, that’s how I feel. Now, a lot of people don’t feel that way. For me, any joke about anything bad is great, that’s how I feel. Any joke about rape, the holocaust, the Mets, ahhhh whatever, any joke about something bad is a positive thing.
Jon: YOU HAVE NOW CROSSED THE LINE, MISTER!
Louis: But now, I’ve read some blogs during this whole thing that have made me enlightened of things I didn’t know. This woman said how rape is something that polices women’s lives. That they have a narrow corridor, they can’t go out late, they can’t go to certain neighborhoods, they can’t dress a certain way, ‘cause they might get … now, I never… that’s part of me now that it wasn’t before, and I can still enjoy a good rape joke, so I have both now. This is the last thing…
Jon: I don’t like the way that you evolve as a person.
Audience laughing
Jon: I don’t like the way you’ve come up with a way to grow as an individual.
Louis: No, it’s not fair.
Jon: Be the person I knew twenty years ago.
Louis: I will. But here’s the last thing I wanna say about it. This is also about men and women, because a lot of people are trading blogs and things about this on the… you know, with each other. Couples are fighting about Daniel Tosh and rape jokes.
Jon: Really?
Louis: Yeah, that’s what I’ve been reading in the blogs.
Jon: Laughs and covers his face
Louis: But, they’re both making a classic gender mistake, because the women are saying, “here’s how I feel about this,” but they’re also saying, “my feelings should be everyone’s primary concern.” The men are making this mistake, they’re saying, “your feelings don’t matter, your feelings are wrong, and your feelings are stupid.” If you’ve ever lived with a woman, you can’t step in **** worse than that, than to tell a woman that her feelings don’t matter. So, to the men I say, listen, listen to what the women are saying about this. To the women, I say, now that we’ve heard you, you know, shut the **** up for a minute, and let’s…
Audience applauding and cheering
Louis: Let’s all get back together, and uh, kill the Jews.
ossobucotemp

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2017 04:52 pm
@maxdancona,
Thanks for that.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2017 04:57 pm
@djjd62,
I think it was slappy who taught me about sanity.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2017 05:09 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

I think anything can be funny,

But some people never can. And I'm sorry for stirring up the rat's nest and bringing them all here.
djjd62 wrote:

i was more offended that dale thought he'd told a joke,

It was a bit like a fart in a mausoleum.
ossobucotemp

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2017 05:56 pm
@maxdancona,
Thanks..
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2017 06:17 pm
@maxdancona,
I didn't catch it.

Why on earth would I like rape jokes?
maxdancona

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2017 06:30 pm
@ossobucotemp,
To me the point is that you can make a joke about anything, no matter how horrible it is.

Censorship is far more dangerous than offense. On the American left, we have come to the point that anything that causes offense is seen as aggression. It isn't. You do not have the right to silence people who offend you. This is a good thing; the Suffragettes were offensive, so was the Gay Liberation movement and on and on. Freedom means there will be always be people who push the boundaries of what is socially acceptable and people who get offended by that.

Comedy is suppose to push limits. At its best it is more than entertainment. It is a way to mock convention and to challenge assumptions. Not every joke is funny, and some jokes are offensive. That is the price we pay for freedom of expression.

If you start censoring comedy... then anything can be censored.

In the clip I posted, after talking about rape jokes, Louis CK turns to Jon Stewart and says "let’s all get back together, and kill the Jews."

Jon Stewart didn't get offended. He laughed... because it was funny. That's how comedy works.
ossobucotemp

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2017 09:26 pm
@maxdancona,
Don't lecture me. I tend to agree on the ok-ness, but I get to consider some talk as hate in action. Sorry you might not get that.

Plus, who said I am censoring anyone? Slappy clued me in to the room to talk, long before you appeared on a2k.

Walk your lecture elsewhere.
dalehileman

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2017 09:29 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
It was a bit like a fart in a mausoleum
Izzy you're a riot
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2017 09:31 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
anything that causes offense is seen as aggression...Comedy is suppose to push limits
Max you have a handle on obvious and to that extent you have made my entire week or maybe two. I see I had listed you under 'Good Guys'
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2017 09:41 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Quote:
but I get to consider some talk as hate in action.

I don't think I understand what you are saying here. I didn't mean to imply that you were censoring anyone (my use of the word "you" should have said "one").

I do think that censorship from the left is an important topic. There is certainly pretty nasty attempts, involving personal attacks and threats, to silence certain points of view here. Rather than engaging in discussion, it is about vilifying anyone who disagrees.

And it isn't just here.

I am not sure if you followed the attacks on the Charles Murray at Middlebury college. Charles Murray (author of the controversial book "The Bell Curve") was shouted down by an angry mob and not allowed to speak. When they moved to a more private room for a teleconference, students pulled fire alarms. As he was leaving, there was physical violence leading to the injury of one of the professors.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/03/middlebury-free-speech-violence/518667/

Krumple

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2017 09:52 pm
@MichaelKiet,

I work in a school. I’m a toaster.
I work in an office or a hotel. I’m a retard.
I work in the theatre. I’m an alligator.
I work in a hospital. I’m not a doctor. I’m a Neanderthal.
I work in a restaurant. I’m a wimp.
I’m at university. I’m a sex offender.
dalehileman

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2017 09:57 pm
@Krumple,
Krump, hilarious, the TAT'll tear you apart
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2017 10:08 pm
@maxdancona,
No, I didn't follow that.

I am so sorry you mind that I don't like rape jokes, even as I don't actually go around censoring..
izzythepush

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2017 01:42 am
@ossobucotemp,
That's because they're not funny. Although I do recognise the need for sad, pathetic, humourless men to watch such misogynistic crap in order to come to terms with the loss of their testicles.

Attacking victims is not pushing limits, it's falling back on the crap sexist humour of the past, the repulsive garbage that was confined to dustbin with the alternative comedy movement of the early 80s which really did push limits.

Inadequate men don't have a sense of humour which is why they need to put others down. Similarly the loudest homophobes tend to be closets themselves who are trying to hide the fact that dockside favours were the key to their success, or that trans men have considerably more in the trouser department than their pork scratching.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2017 02:13 am
Sometimes jokes can be so embarrasing that one just laughs as one does not know what else to do.
I think that a good joke means making fun of two sides. I can tell jokes which makes fun of / or men and women. It is gets to be fair.
A rape joke is onesided. Men making fun of men raping women. I do not think that women would like to tell jokes about getting raped. Nor are there jokes about men getting raped by a woman.

A Finnish woman author wrote very interesting book "Men can´t be raped"
It was a bestseller and the German titel was "How to rape a man"
izzythepush

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2017 02:28 am
@saab,
Frankie Boyle's stuff is like that, sometimes it's so close to the mark you really don't want to laugh but can't help it. He doesn't need to, or want to, tell rape jokes, his audience is people with a sense of humour, not sad inadequates.

saab

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2017 02:59 am
@izzythepush,
It is at times too British for me...as I am not really an insider of everything in Britain, so I cannot catch the joke.