What is the worst thing about your religion?

dauer

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 11:41 pm
Moishe3rd wrote:

To be properly contentious and obstreperous, the Orthodox Jews are the only ones with staying power. Therefore, ergo, we will be the last men (and women) standing in the end.
There are very few (none?) grandchildren of Reform or secular Jews.

Hey! I had to look one of those words up!

I disagree with you that only the Orthodox have staying power. I do believe that only those Jews who cleave to the mitzvot, cleanly rejecting the mitzvot they do only after much wrestling, finding spiritual life in Judaism without rejecting the great big world around them, will be the liberal Jews who remain through the generations religiously Jewish. It just takes a little Renewal -- I'm not endorsing everything the movement does, but am endorsing the change they're bringing in liberal spirituality.

I'm worried that Orthodoxy is going to spiral further and further away from the rest of the world, one s'yag after another. The lack of spirituality among many liberal Jews saddens me. I don't approve of the general Reform approach, which ultimately seems to push people away from the mitzvot. But then again, they're turning around and are now affirming the mitzvot more than they used to. They realize they are not dirty.

Now there are liberal mikvahs in major cities. I've seen from an agenda that the Renewal Jews are suggesting rabbis look for candidates for different positions in a liberal Jewish community, ones for every single position in the Orthodox community from scribe to the group that prepares the dead.

So my forecast is this:

"It is a tree of life for those who hold fast to it..."

as long as it can serve as a spiritual path.

Dauer
0 Replies

ForeverYoung

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 07:36 am
dauer wrote:
So my forecast is this:

"It is a tree of life for those who hold fast to it..."

as long as it can serve as a spiritual path.

Dauer

Perhaps this page will be of some interest to those participating and/or following this discussion of Judaism. I will post its final paragraph and the link to the page.

Quote:
May our words find expression in holy actions. It is appropriate that a religious document, which looks to the infusion of kedushah, holiness, in our lives, should conclude with a prayer that we be successful in accomplishing that difficult goal.. Though the composition and passing of the Pittsburgh Principles was itself a major accomplishment, it will ultimately be for naught if it does not become a spur for Reform Jews to examine our beliefs and practices, to dedicate ourselves to ongoing, serious Jewish learning, and to a lifelong dialogue with God, with the Torah, and with the People Israel. This commentary is intended to encourage all Reform Jews to enter into dialogue with the statements of the Pittsburgh Principles, and to resolve to use them to enhance the kedushah of their lives wherever they may dwell. Ken yehi ratzon-May it be God's will that we succeed.

Commentary from The Central Conference of American Rabbis
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 07:44 am
The worst thing about my religion is those fat, rude Baptists cutting in line in front of me at the Golden Corral every Sunday...that's why we Methodists let out at 11:55... to get a head start.....
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 07:21 pm
On a side note: I talked to a Jehovas witness at work today, did you know they aren't allowed to give or take blood transfusions, or celebrate any holidays (or even birthdays)? The justification is that blood is sacred, and that every day should be a celebration under god.

Dauer: that's just the thing: how are you supposed to know there -is- a god if everything is subject to interpretation? The torah is a collection of storied to be mused upon, as is the bible. So why deem it a doctrine of truth in the first place?

Yes, I do see the world as very black and white in terms of fact and non-fact. Sure, we are limited by our amount of contact and our senses, but we have gotten very far as a species using facts. We have gone to the moon because of facts. Evidence + observation = the road to fact. We have no evidence of god or observation of god. Why on earth should we, educated people, believe in a god? Especially in a god who can sometimes be very cruel - both in fiction (killing egyptians first borns, testing abraham) and in reality (the existance of viruses, death of good people.)

When it comes down to it, a world without an interventionist god just makes more sense. Both catholics and Jews value higher education, and their members seem to stay in the religion - despite the trend that higher education means less belief in god.

As far as I can tell, cultural and social benefits [of religion] abound. I really miss the connections that I had through the synagogue. I could sing, play music, go to dances, go on retreats, have a close community, have a way to celebrate birth and mourn death. But all of this is cheated by the fact that it centers aroud traditions that seem to no longer apply to contemporary life, and a god which is cruel and unproven. (And, not to mention, one that comes with a good serving of persecution.)

Moishe, tell away! I love to hear a good story. By the way, I love the book "The Joys of Yiddish." It makes great bathroom reading (can I say that here?) - he tells a joke to illustrate most words.
I knew an orthodox jewish family who would tear their toilet paper into little squares so they wouldn't have to rip on the sabbath.
0 Replies

dauer

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 08:49 pm
Portal Star wrote:

Dauer: that's just the thing: how are you supposed to know there -is- a god if everything is subject to interpretation? The torah is a collection of storied to be mused upon, as is the bible. So why deem it a doctrine of truth in the first place?

You are interested in Truth and clear cut definitions. I am interested in becoming aware of the Ineffable in all of my life.

Quote:
Yes, I do see the world as very black and white in terms of fact and non-fact. Sure, we are limited by our amount of contact and our senses, but we have gotten very far as a species using facts. We have gone to the moon because of facts. Evidence + observation = the road to fact.

In the physical world. But if you deny there is anything but the physical world, every heard of Reconstructionist Judaism?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reconstructionist_Judaism

Quote:
We have no evidence of god or observation of god. Why on earth should we, educated people, believe in a god?

That's what the Reconstructionists asked.

Quote:
Especially in a god who can sometimes be very cruel - both in fiction (killing egyptians first borns, testing abraham) and in reality (the existance of viruses, death of good people.)

I don't believe that a description of God is God. Just a group of people's attempt to understand that which goes beyond all labels. Brahman is just another view of Hashem. We name because we are human. It's what we do. The more rigid our views of God become, the more we flirt with idolatry.

As far as viruses and the death of good people, there are many answers to this, none of which you'd probably like much. The fact is that they do happen. I consider all of existence good, even if we may not realize it, may not be capable of realizing it.

Quote:
When it comes down to it, a world without an interventionist god just makes more sense. Both catholics and Jews value higher education, and their members seem to stay in the religion - despite the trend that higher education means less belief in god.

I'm not sure what you mean by interventionist. I don't believe God ever interferes with the laws of physics. I do believe that sometimes God reaches out to man, and sometimes man reaches out for God. This is the transcendant experience.

Quote:
As far as I can tell, cultural and social benefits [of religion] abound. I really miss the connections that I had through the synagogue. I could sing, play music, go to dances, go on retreats, have a close community, have a way to celebrate birth and mourn death. But all of this is cheated by the fact that it centers aroud traditions that seem to no longer apply to contemporary life, and a god which is cruel and unproven.

Your God is a true God. Don't tie yourself down to views of God that don't help you. Many Jews go through the same struggles as you have. It's good to wrestle with God. This is the meaning of Yisrael.

Quote:
(And, not to mention, one that comes with a good serving of persecution.)

You mean the Jewish identity? We don't only remember the persecution, and I find that's the stuff that usually only gets remembered around its time of year. The themes of the holidays also match up with the rhythm of the calendar. Arthur Wascow wrote much on this in Seasons of our Joy.

Dauer
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 01:18 pm
I appreciate your considerate responses. However, I still fail to see the point.

What advantages are there to being Jewish, if it can mean the exact same thing as being agnostic "A non-fundamentalist method of teaching about Jewish principles of faith, along with the belief that no Jew needs to accept all, or any, principles of faith."

And, in addition to being unnecessary, it means people will be continually trying to kill or persecute you?

I like the approach of questioning - but that is also not a methodology that is unique to Judaism.
0 Replies

ForeverYoung

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 01:24 pm
Portal Star wrote:
And, in addition to being unnecessary, it means people will be continually trying to kill or persecute you?

Ouch, Portal Star. Yes, people continue to kill and persecute Jews, but, IMHO, that is no reason to dismiss one's ethnicity out of hand. Again, I am not an observant Jew, but I would certainly hope that nobody (including you) allows any decision to be dictated by the bullies of the world.

Smile
0 Replies

dauer

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 01:46 pm
Portal Star wrote:
I appreciate your considerate responses. However, I still fail to see the point.

What advantages are there to being Jewish, if it can mean the exact same thing as being agnostic "A non-fundamentalist method of teaching about Jewish principles of faith, along with the belief that no Jew needs to accept all, or any, principles of faith."

There are agnostic reconstructionists, as well as atheist reconstructionists. There's nothing wrong with being agnostic or atheist. What I noticed about you is that a) you have been rejecting something that isn't quite Judaism at all. and b) you seem to have a strong connection to Jewishness. You would find many people who could relate to your situation in a Recon community.

You've said already what you miss about Judaism. Why does there need to be anything more than that? In my case I am looking for an encounter with God, whatever God is. You seem to be in a different situation.

Quote:

I'm not sure I understand. Have you had trouble making peace with this? I don't see this as such a problem these days. The largest problem is groups like J4J who try to convert ignorant Jews. Mostly I'd say we're doing okay. What do you think is the cause of persecution of the Jews? What perpetuates it?

Quote:
I like the approach of questioning - but that is also not a methodology that is unique to Judaism.

No, it's not. Judaism is the sum of all parts. You have a general idea of what it means to be a part of that.

Dauer
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 06:08 pm
ForeverYoung wrote:
Portal Star wrote:

Ouch, Portal Star. Yes, people continue to kill and persecute Jews, but, IMHO, that is no reason to dismiss one's ethnicity out of hand. Again, I am not an observant Jew, but I would certainly hope that nobody (including you) allows any decision to be dictated by the bullies of the world.

Smile

Of course not. But it certainly isn't a selling point.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 06:26 pm
dauer wrote:
Portal Star wrote:

There are agnostic reconstructionists, as well as atheist reconstructionists. There's nothing wrong with being agnostic or atheist. What I noticed about you is that a) you have been rejecting something that isn't quite Judaism at all. and b) you seem to have a strong connection to Jewishness. You would find many people who could relate to your situation in a Recon community.

You've said already what you miss about Judaism. Why does there need to be anything more than that? In my case I am looking for an encounter with God, whatever God is. You seem to be in a different situation.

This makes a lot of sense, in terms of what I said earlier, but I'd still feel false. Religion without god is like dancing with no music. What's the point?

dauer wrote:

Quote:

I'm not sure I understand. Have you had trouble making peace with this? I don't see this as such a problem these days. The largest problem is groups like J4J who try to convert ignorant Jews. Mostly I'd say we're doing okay. What do you think is the cause of persecution of the Jews? What perpetuates it?

Actually, I have experienced plenty of trouble related to it. It was only occasional when I lived up north - people telling me to repent, that jews killed jesus, or their parents wanting them to dump me. (Or the more subtle, constant invitation/forcing to attend church and church lock-ins.)
But here in Texas I never even mention my roots. I used to get beat up for it in summer camp in a bad part of San Antonio, and now even in the most liberal part of texas, the Christian majority don't like Jews. I hear people telling Jew jokes (mostly about how jews are stingy) or using "jew" as a word for a means of price lowering.

Also, many contemporary jews (such as my mother) cling to these stereotypes as a means of uniting themselves, further perpetuating the negative perception. (My mother insists on bargaining down in the most ridiculous of places, like asking to use five of what is clearly a one only coupon, and then blaming it on being Jewish - instead of being plain rude.)

As for Jews for Jesus, there's a word for that. In fact two. Christian. And also, Denial. But it's a good example of how Judaism is very much a culture - one that converting jews have trouble parting with when they convert to Christianity.

Why is it a persecution? Why is it perpetuated? Because it is not the predominant religion (since christianity and islam) and both see Jews as people unaccepting of the most important part of their religion - the messiah. Some even say that the jews killed Jesus, therefore Jews are evil, and many disagree with the Israelites policy on the middle east conflict, and tie that discontent in with all followers of Judaism.

On the opposite side of things, the Jewish people always assumed I wasn't jewish, because my family is from Russia and are light skinned. I'm half Russian jew, and forty percent English and the rest Scotch and Cherokee. (Couple that in with a Japanese name and culture and you have confusing ethnic roots.) Not to mention that most Jews are as liberal politically as you can get, while I'm a libertarian.

Quote:

No, it's not. Judaism is the sum of all parts. You have a general idea of what it means to be a part of that.

Dauer[/quote]

I think you are taking a personal general spiritual/philisophical methodology and superimposing concepts of Judaism over it. When it comes down to it, aren't most people religious because that was the way they were brought up? Not because it's right or wrong, but because it's a group where you are comfortable?

And, if you don't mind my asking, are you a Rabbi? You sound like a reformed rabbi.

Oh, side note, I really miss traditional Hasidic jewish music. I love the F sharps and the quirky pace changes, and the beautifully sad classic guitar. Slowly, like cancer, all the synogogues got organs, and their songs changed from minor to major. I swear, in a few years the hora is going to sound like "Ave Maria."
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 09:23 pm
Buddhism requires a lot of meditation and reflections. It's hard to understand sometimes...
0 Replies

dauer

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 05:14 pm
Portal Star wrote:

This makes a lot of sense, in terms of what I said earlier, but I'd still feel false. Religion without god is like dancing with no music. What's the point?

It's really about you and what you get out of it. If you get something out of it, why not do it? Not everyone approaches Judaism the same way, or for the same reasons, even among Orthodox Jews. Everyone's looking for something different, but we still form a community out of it. If it makes you happy to practice a particular observance or go to shul once in a while, why not? It's not going to hurt you.

Quote:
Actually, I have experienced plenty of trouble related to it. It was only occasional when I lived up north - people telling me to repent, that jews killed jesus, or their parents wanting them to dump me. (Or the more subtle, constant invitation/forcing to attend church and church lock-ins.)
But here in Texas I never even mention my roots. I used to get beat up for it in summer camp in a bad part of San Antonio, and now even in the most liberal part of texas, the Christian majority don't like Jews. I hear people telling Jew jokes (mostly about how jews are stingy) or using "jew" as a word for a means of price lowering.

My view is this: There are two things to watch out for. The first is being pushed into being something we don't want to be because of the situation around us and the second is being pushed out of being something we want to be because of the situation around us. There are Jews doing both of these things. I don't care for either. It's really about what makes you happy. Joseph Campbell said it: "Follow your bliss."

Quote:
Also, many contemporary jews (such as my mother) cling to these stereotypes as a means of uniting themselves, further perpetuating the negative perception. (My mother insists on bargaining down in the most ridiculous of places, like asking to use five of what is clearly a one only coupon, and then blaming it on being Jewish - instead of being plain rude.)

I know there are people in the Jewish community who act that way. I don't see it so much. I really don't agree that many Jews do that. Maybe in a younger congregation you'd see less of that.

Quote:
As for Jews for Jesus, there's a word for that. In fact two. Christian. And also, Denial.

One more: wolf-in-sheep's-clothing.

Quote:
But it's a good example of how Judaism is very much a culture - one that converting jews have trouble parting with when they convert to Christianity.

I disagree. Judaism is a tribal religion. Like being Sioux Indian. It's harder to leave a tribal religion than a faith, regardless what someone believes.

Quote:
Why is it a persecution? Why is it perpetuated? Because it is not the predominant religion (since christianity and islam) and both see Jews as people unaccepting of the most important part of their religion - the messiah. Some even say that the jews killed Jesus, therefore Jews are evil, and many disagree with the Israelites policy on the middle east conflict, and tie that discontent in with all followers of Judaism.

Yes, and on top of that the Christian scriptures paint a horrible picture of Jews. Also, the fact that we continued to be after Jesus came was an affront to the Christian religion. There are Christian arguements for why Judaism still exists, but that is how it has at times been viewed. It's funny because I think many Jews disagree with Israel's policies anyway.

Quote:
On the opposite side of things, the Jewish people always assumed I wasn't jewish, because my family is from Russia and are light skinned. I'm half Russian jew, and forty percent English and the rest Scotch and Cherokee. (Couple that in with a Japanese name and culture and you have confusing ethnic roots.)

How does that make being Jewish difficult for you? Judaism is not defined by a person's appearance. In America we've got a lot people from Eastern Europe but in Israel there is much more ethnic diversity. Are you saying this makes it easier to stop being Jewish?

Quote:
Not to mention that most Jews are as liberal politically as you can get, while I'm a libertarian.

I knew a libertarian Jew. He was an ex-hippy. He was a friend of my parents and I think he was president for a while a their shul.

Quote:
I think you are taking a personal general spiritual/philisophical methodology and superimposing concepts of Judaism over it.

I think you're just looking at Judaism as too rigid of a system. It's actually very loose and the Orthodox have only begun to get more rigid in their beliefs over the past few hundred years. If you listen to the Orthodox saying that their way is Judaism, well they're wrong. 1000 years ago Judaism was different than the way they live it. It can change again. Did you know that the mechitza, the divider, was originally only used for one holiday because there was a singles mixer after? But a fence was added to protect the Torah. Orthodoxy itself is a reaction to the modern world, just as much as Reform Judaism is.

Quote:
When it comes down to it, aren't most people religious because that was the way they were brought up? Not because it's right or wrong, but because it's a group where you are comfortable?

I never said it's right or wrong. I said it's a way to attain spirituality and some other benefits as well. If a person grew up in the jungle, was raised by gators, they'd never develop reading or writing or speaking skills like you and I have. It's a function that has to be taught. Sure someone could discover a path to spirituality. There are also many paths that already exist, and you've been conditioned to have a predilection towards a path with a particular flavor, if you take one at all. You could always find another path, but it would mean rejecting something that's written inside your skull. I just read Jew in the Lotus and it seems like JUBUs have a hard time letting go. They all deal with it differently.

Quote:
And, if you don't mind my asking, are you a Rabbi? You sound like a reformed rabbi.

No no no. If I was a rabbi I would end each post with Rabbi Benjamin Dauer just to impress people with my level of expertise. I'm just a nosy, opinionated Yid beginning my 4 year wandering at an inter-denominational Jewish College. UMass just didn't have any Judaic Studies courses to offer. I don't know how Reform I sound. I think many liberal Jews sound similar; recon, reform, renewal, liberal conservative. I'm more about Renewal, I think, in that I see beauty in all of the movements and try to draw inspiration from each. I also go to a Renewal shul.

Quote:
Oh, side note, I really miss traditional Hasidic jewish music. I love the F sharps and the quirky pace changes, and the beautifully sad classic guitar. Slowly, like cancer, all the synogogues got organs, and their songs changed from minor to major. I swear, in a few years the hora is going to sound like "Ave Maria."

I know what you mean. That's why I try not to go near Reform or Conservative synagogues. They're like mainstream music. I like the Havurah movement and the Jewish Renewal movement. They're much truer to Jewish-sounding prayer. Here, this might interest you:

http://www.sixthirteen.org/audio/

The stuff on top is all interpretive but then they have kabbalat shabbat melodies and some niggunim. But this page is entirely liturgical melodies, much of it Carlebachian but with other stuff as well, many versions even of just one prayer -- 14 lecha dodis:

http://www.sixthirteen.org/kolzimrah/resources/

(I am not affiliated with them in any way, just happen to have the link)

Dauer
0 Replies

duce

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 12:44 pm
Razz
As a Christian My bunch says "you can not earn your way to heaven" thus we are ALL totally undeserving and are "SAVED BY GRACE & GRACE ALONE" Yet they cannot seem to resist the "funk-a-mentalist" theology of adding a do do this and a don't do that list afterwards.

(Stolen in part from one of my present day heros, Dr. EuGene Scott. One of my favorite quotes of his is "you don't have to Park your brain at the door to be a Christian" and he backs that up.) Check out the Website if you get a chance.

He also said to the "Healers" who have people there to catch those caught up in whatever. "I'll believe it when they let em hit the floor and Bounce. IF God is doing the healing, it won't hurt em."
0 Replies