What is the worst thing about your religion?

dauer

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 01:48 pm
This is primarily for religious people, though I guess answers from anyone with a religious affiliation would be good. I was thinking about this, because as somebody who cares about my religion, and as part of a fairly flexible religion as far as beliefs and, depending on affiliation, practices go, it is difficult for me to answer.

I'm looking for issues with dogma, doctrine, and ritual about your own religion.

I'm still thinking so I will post something a little later.

Dauer
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 4,176 • Replies: 52
No top replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 05:33 pm
Great question.

What's wrong with my religion is what my favorite quote says:

"Christians (myself included) who acknowledge Jesus with their lips
Then walk out the door and deny him by their lifestyle.
That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable"
- †

okay, and maybe having to wait for His return. Smile
0 Replies

dauer

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 05:55 pm
I was thinking about it, and at first I thought tribalism was an issue. Then I rejected that because Judaism does not condemn non-Jews. But then because of something that was said in another thread I realized that it can still lead to exclusivism, even though Judaism is not exclusive. In this sense, I mean the tendency for certain people to speak against anyone who would choose to date outside of Judaism rather than accepting it and working with them to help fit the individual's needs.

The other thing is, similar to Jo, when Jews do empty ritual or prayer, although in this case either morally empty or spiritually empty, as there are some people who just go through the motions without taking anything spiritually from it, and do not seek to renew their practices either. It's as if some people believe Judaism is "only" about action, when though this is most important, attentiveness to God is also important.

Also, any fundamentalism that discriminates between the sexes. Because I consider all of the movements of Judaism as one whole, I include this.
0 Replies

Cyanure

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 08:28 am
Rumors
False image and lies propagandized by a so called muslim sect about Islam and the holy prophet.
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 08:42 am
I'm Roman Catholic. My religion suffers from a powerful, hierarchical clergy. A common complaint heard these days is that the ranks of the priesthood are getting thinner. This may not be a bad thing. We will, I hope, be forced to involve ourselves (the "laity") to a greater extent than ever before.

Dauer: my daughter is quite seriously involved with a Jewish guy. There may be rough sailing ahead as his mother is none too pleased about this.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 08:45 am
More people do not belong to it. If everyone did, we wouldn't have many of the global problems we do.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 09:21 am
I have no religion, and the worse part about it is being told by (some) religious people that I am a sinner, that I will burn in hell, that I am ignorant, that I am impure or unclean, that I am a lost child etc. etc.

I have also found that religion in one respect is like juggling. If you meet someone (socially) who can juggle, it never takes long before they have told you (and usually demonstrated to you) that, indeed, they can juggle. And in this respect I find many religious people to be the same. It will never be a long time from meeting someone for the first time until you find out they are religious. Agnostics and atheists are usually different (quieter) in this respect.

Just the ramblings of a heathen, sorry folks, carry on... :wink:
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 11:41 am
The religion I grew up with takes itself too seriously. The services often have a somber feel; the songs are sung deadpan, almost morosely. This is true of most of the churches I've visited in the same denomination, even though I think they're really trying to escape that in some ways. The religions I've "adopted" are more joyful and positive. I do miss certain beautiful rites and rituals, which is why I sometimes go back to the old places.
0 Replies

dauer

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 12:26 pm
George,

is she very observant? Sometimes it seems like individuals who are not very religious at all still hold on to the idea that they must instill a type of value and ideology onto their children, grandchildren, etc, despite the fact that they never acted much within the home or even by going to shul to pass these things onto their children. And then once it's no longer their decision they grasp frantically to pass on their "bagels n' lox" Judaism, swatting away any threat to its intergenerational continuity.

I know that may not be the situation at all. But it does happen.
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 02:20 pm
You are correct, Dauer. As a family, they are really not very observant. In fact, the son is not religious at all. At least not now. I wonder whether that will change if they do marry and have children.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 02:26 pm
The january credit card statements.....
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 02:35 pm
I'm technically Catholic, although I'm not religious at all. I think my religion is pretty much a joke, I mean there's a huge problem with priests molesting boys, after all. Let these damn guys get laid like normal people.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 02:48 pm
are you saying gays aren't normal? Or priests? Or both? I hear the distant sound of the PC police......
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 02:57 pm
Gay isn't synonymous with pedophile, is it?
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 07:20 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
are you saying gays aren't normal? Or priests? Or both? I hear the distant sound of the PC police......

No, "get laid like normal people" means keeping your penis out of people who are still in grade school.
0 Replies

Ghostcat

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 05:26 pm
I used to be Christian, my whole family is very conservative. No coed dances, girls wear dresses and can only teach the kiddy classes, no movie theaters... though my parents let us go to the movies anyway.

Religion serves its purpose, I see this now. It creates a comfort zone for those who need it. It really is intrical to the development of morals and values, I think. But, now that I've chosen not to worship (in my families traditional sense), I get letters from my Church asking me to come back. My Mother gets upset, but insists on bringing up the subject. My Father doesn't think its right for me to upset my Mother by not attending. My Grandmother sends me lists of acceptable churches in the area I live in. She also says that she has friends here and there that would like to have dinner with me, when they're really Church-Nazi's that want to explain why I should come back.

Its the harrasment that really gets me. Religion, and Spirituality are both choices.
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 07:57 am
Ghostcat~
I agree with you that region is for people and not the other way around. It's only natural for your folks to want you back "in the fold", but to me you sound like an honest, open person who is going find their own way. I wish you well and watch out for those Church-Nazis!
0 Replies

Moishe3rd

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 11:30 am
Food.
Massive quantities of food.
You see, all Jewish holidays and the Sabbath have accompanying food rituals. There are various commandments (mitzvos) that go along with each day on what you are supposed to eat.
Therefore, when the Jewish holidays fall back to back with the Sabbath, you can have 3 days in a row, followed by another 3 days in a row (five days later) where you eat at least two elaborate meals a day.

Imagine Thanksgiving dinner in the late morning, early afternoon.
Then another one in the evening.
Then again the next day and the next day....
Oy.

However, that is just about the worst thing I can think of about Judaism - this should be the worst problem I ever have to deal with...
Smile
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 11:35 am
That's what keeps me in the catering business, Moishe, don't knock it.
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 12:04 pm
Hmmm... That makes a strong case for Judaism. Any chance you might waive the circumcision thing?
0 Replies