If you think you know your art

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 09:27 am
Our school is participating in the State of Jefferson Scavenger hunt. We are allowed to find answers through internet based sources, print based sources, etc. We have to find the title and artist of these images.

Q1. Name the artist who painted this sea bathing scene. What century did he live? What is his nationality?
http://www.sou.edu/ecp/youth/IMAGES-YOUTH/SCAVQ1.jpg

Q4. What do these "brush" and "comb" drawings represent?
http://www.sou.edu/ecp/youth/IMAGES-YOUTH/SCAVQ4.jpg

Q5. This woman's adornments reveal her identity. What is her ethnicity? (
http://www.sou.edu/ecp/youth/IMAGES-YOUTH/SCAVQ5.jpg

Q6: Your friend has disappeared. The only clue, strange designs colored on the wall of his apartment. What are they?
http://www.sou.edu/ecp/youth/IMAGES-YOUTH/SCAVQ6.jpg

Q7: Waiter! There are thumbs in our soup! Artist and title?
http://www.sou.edu/ecp/youth/IMAGES-YOUTH/SCAVQ7.jpg

Q8: Nothing like a good book. Artist and title?
http://www.sou.edu/ecp/youth/IMAGES-YOUTH/SCAVQ8.jpg

If you have the time and know-how to tackle the challenge of identifying this artwork, please reply with an answer. Thanks for your time!

David
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,054 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Odd Socks

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 04:38 am
I think that you are cheating, but since i am bored and don't want to do my own work , the picture in Q7 was painted by Bruegal. It's a picture of a wedding, so my guess is that the answer is "The Wedding" but you can google as well as the rest of us.

If you weren't studying art, I'd say that Q4 looks like an illustration of genetic translocation.

Also, the image at q6 looks like either the " watermarks" that artists put on their drawings and prints to identify themselves, although they also be an ancient script

Q1 has a strong late nineteenth century feel, just as modern art was beginning. Do your work!

I know the artist in the last picture, I swear I do, but it has temporarily escaped me.

I hope that that helps. It probably doesn't, but good luck anyway.
0 Replies

Odd Socks

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 04:38 am
I think that you are cheating, but since i am bored and don't want to do my own work , the picture in Q7 was painted by Bruegal. It's a picture of a wedding, so my guess is that the answer is "The Wedding" but you can google as well as the rest of us.

If you weren't studying art, I'd say that Q4 looks like an illustration of genetic translocation.

Also, the image at q6 looks like either the " watermarks" that artists put on their drawings and prints to identify themselves, although they also be an ancient script

Q1 has a strong late nineteenth century feel, just as modern art was beginning. Do your work!

I know the artist in the last picture, I swear I do, but it has temporarily escaped me.

0 Replies

Odd Socks

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 04:39 am

0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 04:36 pm
Mary Cassat comes to mind for Q8, but there is much that does not look like her work. Similarly the icons of Q6 bring to mind Gottlieb, but much does not. Rolling Eyes You are right about the detail from Bruegel.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 05:24 pm
Q6 looks like those weird "Zodiac killer" letters that he wrote to the police so if my friend disappeared I'd look for the "Zodiac" nutjob but that doesn't seem to fit with the art them of your images.

Q1 does look very 19th century to me too. The sombrero, the woman's hair style and the light makes me think it was someone who painted in Mexico.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 06:06 pm
My God, you're right, Boomerang. Now we know that Gottlieb was the Zodiac killer.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 06:24 pm
Ohmygod! Case solved!

Seriously though, there was something in our paper not too long ago, about when they arrested the Green River Killer (not too far from here) about unsolved crimes. They reproduced one of the "Zodiac Killer" letters and it looked a whole lot like that.
0 Replies

Odd Socks

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2004 03:27 am
http://www.cs.umbc.edu/~stephens/crypto/CIPHERS/ZODIAC/zodiac3.JPG

This is from the zodiac killer. There is some resemblance, but they don't seem to match entirely
0 Replies

Odd Socks

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2004 03:28 am
they still look more like artist's sigs to me.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2004 07:26 pm
I thought at first - cattle brands...
0 Replies

Odd Socks

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 09:13 pm
lol , you could be right, osso

Smile I bet the answers that we have difficulty with can be easily found in museums, etc around the Jefferson state area. Jefferson state? What is that anyhow? Is Jefferson a state? A school? Crazy Americans ! YOu always say "London , England" or "Sydney, Australia" or even, I've heard , "Latvia, Europe" Razz Razz but you don't deem to even tell us what the hell Jefferson is.

Also, your election, what's with that ? WHY would anybody even vote for Bush? WHY? Wink I haven't heard who has won, but last I was told, Bush was slightly in the lead, and I hold all of you responsible if he gets in . Wink
0 Replies

Odd Socks

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 10:03 pm
ALL OF YOU !!!!!!
0 Replies

benconservato

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 09:26 am
can I point the finger too?
Perhaps you agree with me Odd Socks - from various posts I would suspect you are an Australian, so why didn't we get to vote in the US elections? He tries (and usually succeeds) to run our country through our little lap dog Johhny, so I want my rights as a world citizen!

I digress, sorry...
0 Replies

katealaurel

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 10:19 pm
Q7 is "A Peasant Wedding", I think by Bruegel. (I could run upstairs and check my copy of Janson or Fleming, but it's late and I'm tired..)

As for the others, I'll fiddle with the textbooks tomorrow.

-Kate
0 Replies