Electrical tape

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2017 01:47 am
A piece of electrical tape is stuck inside of the sockets on my wall. Is it safe to use the socket with the piece of tape in there or do I have to remove it? I don't want my electronic devices destroyed.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 790 • Replies: 7
No top replies

fresco

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2017 02:00 am
@Kevinthomas,
Since electrical tape is an insulator it should have no effect other than perhaps making your contacts harder to achieve.
Kevinthomas

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2017 02:16 am
@fresco,
What do you mean making my contacts harder to achieve? When I plug the fan or tv in, it works fine. I'm just concerned if it the tape inside the socket might spark and damage anything.
fresco

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2017 02:24 am
@Kevinthomas,
It would only 'spark' if you think the tape has residual bits of wire stuck to it which could cause a short circuit. But in that case it would blow a fuse or trigger a cut out. So, if the fan works and there was no cut out, I wouldn't worry about it..
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2017 03:02 am
@Kevinthomas,
fresco has this right.
dalehileman

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2017 02:01 pm
@blatham,
Kev, Blat and Fres have that right
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2017 03:24 pm
I'm wondering why the tape is there in the first place. Could the socket some how be defective and the tape was intended to prevent it's being used? Really, how would electrical tape get there in the first place?
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2017 07:11 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

I'm wondering why the tape is there in the first place. Could the socket some how be defective and the tape was intended to prevent it's being used? Really, how would electrical tape get there in the first place?

I'm going to speculate that the tape was there to quasibaby proof the socket (completely covering the socket) but the tape was improperly/incompletely removed when the baby proofing wasn't needed.
0 Replies