Proving logic

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 8 Mar, 2017 07:34 am
Idiocy must be exposed even when we are obligated to have empathy with the limitations of a specific human being.
This is an imperative commandment of Reason!
fresco

Reply Wed 8 Mar, 2017 08:58 am
@fresco,
When Wittgenstein coined the adage 'philosophy is the fight against bewitchment by language' it is possible he had phrases like 'vision of a concept' in mind.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 8 Mar, 2017 09:44 am
@fresco,
Please try in the least having the decency of providing a pseudo answer...
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 8 Mar, 2017 10:41 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Of philosophy too! We continue to search for what reality is.
Reality is how each individual perceives it to be. For each, it's subjective-objective.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 8 Mar, 2017 11:57 am
@cicerone imposter,
Yes, perception is a PART of Reality obviously... I think no one denied that...
0 Replies

Razzleg

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2017 02:41 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

Blickers wrote:

Tough one. Don't know if anyone here is into logic like that.

If you don't get an answer, why not try a message board devoted to philosophical topics like Philosophy Forums. Good luck.

Well, dang. I thought that was the name of the forum that was hijacked by a2k about a decade ago and kind of blended into a2k. In fact, I thought that was where we got Krumple and Razzleg.

a dark day for a2k for sure..but to be fair, i'm pretty sure that Krumple came a bit later Smile
roger

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2017 02:44 am
@Razzleg,
And then there was Goshisdead.
Razzleg

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2017 02:49 am
@roger,
in all honesty, i still miss Goshisdead...he was a solid, formidable, informed thinker, and a genuinely nice person -- when that sort of thing mattered on the internet...but to be honest, in my decrepit old age...i even kinda miss kennethamy; he was good for a harmless, outraged laugh in his time...
0 Replies

Razzleg

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2017 03:01 am
@roger,
oh ****, i was wrong, Krumple predates me on a2k by a year. So don't pin that horror show on the phil forums.
0 Replies

Razzleg

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2017 03:07 am
@izzythepush,
Well...i'm in a poor position to explain the OP's post, i'm ignorant...it might, maybe, maybe, maybe be daffodils.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2017 03:31 am
@Razzleg,
Dave Hedgehog is a great sage after all.
0 Replies

Razzleg

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2017 03:46 am
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

When Wittgenstein coined the adage 'philosophy is the fight against bewitchment by language' it is possible he had phrases like 'vision of a concept' in mind.(/quote)

You're not wrong, but if you know half of what you pretend to know, and yet act the way you continue to act on this forum, you should at least be capable of recognizing your own hypocrisy.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2017 04:59 am
@Razzleg,
I know you also indulge in Fresco's pseudo cosmovision about "Realitty" and the problem of Semantics...while no one denies those problems you guys and a good chunk of Philosophers have taken a wrong turn long ago...I say in less then 20 years onward you are about to get ramned by a train of scientific data on Subjectivity, Counsciousness, Intuition, Language, and other topics that will delete you out of History. I wish yould be here to assist to the unfolding of it...

By the way check the latest on Intuitive AI. There's some recent TED talk about it.

Post Scriptum - If you give Fresco any inch of intellectual credit you are way dumber then I thought.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2017 05:16 am
By the way refusing X while pointing to Y is an exercise in futility.
There you have your problem of semantics explained to ya....Fresco is not even aware that he absolutizes his frame of reference just in the same way no matter the coinage he uses semantically speaking. A feast to the eye his babbling...

You should start by reflecting on the topic that if there is no Truth there is no tammable concept of Semantics that is valid.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2017 07:38 am
@Razzleg,
Smile
What I 'pretend to know',would need to be preceded by an analysis of the word 'know' to make any sense to me.

I have stated on occasion that what we are doing here may be merely a form of social dancing. You can take this a possible recognition of hypocracy on my part if you wish, or a transcendent philosophical position concerning language and communication....please yourself ! Obviously, I veer towards the latter, and whereas I am happy to provide the function of 'a punchball' for those frustrated respondents who have difficulty communicating at all, I have found over the years that any 'satisfactory' philosophical discourse is more likely to be confined to my local 'live' group in our monthly discussions of the literature, than here where 'the literature' tends to be ignored.
layman

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2017 07:48 am
@fresco,
Quote:
I have found over the years that any 'satisfactory' philosophical discourse is more likely to be confined to my local 'live' group in our monthly discussions of the literature.

Your idea of "the literature" is mediocre lightweight dullards like Rorty, eh?

Better to contemplate a heavyweight like Fred Nietzsche:

Quote:
"All things are subject to interpretation; whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth."

“What then is truth? A mobile army of metaphors, metonyms, and anthropomorphisms: in short, a sum of human relations which have been poetically and rhetorically intensified, transferred, and embellished…. Truths are illusions which we have forgotten are illusions.”

fresco

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2017 07:55 am
@layman,
...and 'illusion' is defined as...?
layman

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2017 08:21 am
@fresco,
Save the candyass linguistic analysis for some cheese-eater, eh, Fresky?

Homey don't play dat.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2017 08:31 am
@layman,
So in the absence of an answer from you (since you are fond of cutting and pasting barely considered quotations) you might consider what that 'dullard' Rorty had to say about 'truth'. He did not quite go for the one liner 'truth is what works in particular contexts' ( after all, that is what Nietsche implied), but that there was no absolute test between truth candidates.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2017 08:31 am
In musical terms, Wittgenstein and his disciples are Pat Boone.

Fred is Chuck Berry.

In short, Fred ROCKS!