A middle class guy with a shed?

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2017 11:22 am
Well, it is from McGentrix's self introduction. What does "a shed" mean here? Does it literally refer to "a small building, usually made of wood, used for storing things"? Or "an outdoor Amphitheatre used for live music concerts"?

For the former, a middle class guy would usually not care to mention. For the latter, a middle class guy seems not rich enough to have one.

What does it mean then?

Thanks in anticipation.

Quote:

I am a middle class guy, married, 2 kids, and a shed. I have an SUV and a car, One for hauling kids, the other for commuting. When I was in college I was a hippie liberal. did drugs, hated the establishment, all that crap. Now, I have responsibility and with that comes a change in attitude. I find myself on the conservative side of politics and I enjoy discussing politics with the many people that inhabit A2K. I disagree with most of them most of the time, but that's what makes it fun.

I believe that in life you get what you give, give a lot, you get a lot.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 734 • Replies: 5
No top replies

centrox

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2017 11:57 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:
Does it literally refer to "a small building, usually made of wood, used for storing things"?

Probably.

Quote:
For the former, a middle class guy would usually not care to mention.

Why not? You are mistaken. In Britain, to my knowledge, lots of people of all classes have sheds, and are not ashamed to mention them. Many people (mainly men) are fans of sheds and will eagerly discuss them. It is like being a fan of cars, boats, lawns, plants, trees, whatever. Male hobby interest. In the famous Monty Python comedy series, there was a character who had two sheds, called Arthur "Two Sheds" Jackson. Thus listing a shed alongside family members etc may be seen as semi-jocular.

My shed is like this, but not so clean looking.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/0d/Cedar_storage_shed_wood.jpg/220px-Cedar_storage_shed_wood.jpg
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2017 12:10 pm
Sacred ground

0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2017 01:38 pm
@oristarA,
If you want to know, it would behoove you to ask him.

Maybe he means a sidewalk shed...which seems to greatly resemble scaffolding.
ossobucotemp

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2017 01:46 pm
@Sturgis,
Or maybe he meant it as that he has a roof over his head, and doesn't mean any of the regular kinds of sheds/workshops, whatever.

Some of us on a2k, me, for example, sometimes play a bit with words.

Or, my goodness, maybe a watershed.. (I'm kidding, kidding)
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2017 09:22 pm
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:
What does "a shed" mean here? Does it literally refer to "a small building, usually made of wood, used for storing things"?

Almost certainly.

In the context of the American male, there is often also a small work area for doing basic jobs with tools.

I've never even heard the word used before in the context of outdoor concerts. But I don't claim to be young and hip.

oristarA wrote:
For the former, a middle class guy would usually not care to mention.

Like centrox mentioned, it could have been included to add a bit of levity or humor.

And like chai2 mentioned, sacred guy space.

My guess is a little bit of each.
0 Replies