Do you prefer to write longhand or on the computer?

RexRed

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 06:07 am
Farmerman I am a Portlander I grew up in Jonesport and was Born in PA near Philly. Always great to meet a fellow Mainer!

Poetryanthology

I do not know the exact name of your poem's form other than "stream of consciousness". You have deviated from the standard poem form in that you have not rhymed the lines. Many poems don't rhyme though. The standard form of a poem are four lines that two of them rhyme. That is the most basic form and all deviation from the standard builds or departs from that model respectively. If you add a repeating line or lines then it is a song.

As for cut and paste I did not mean cut and paste as a form of plagiarism I meant it as a convenience when having repeating lines like a song chorus and not having to retype it three times. I had over 100 songs hand written and there came the day that they became digital and I was so relieved to have them done. I first typed them on a commodore computer and then the PC became the standard. There was no really good way to convert the text from the commodore to the PC document format so I had to retype them. I now do most of my typing in a frontpage (a web page maker) because most of what I type I publish on my website. I sometimes start writing on paper then I suddenly remember that I don't do that for good reason. It not only wastes paper and erasing sharpening pencils and doodling is a ritual I can live without. I used to have a love affair with pens and paper, kind of like a kid with a new box of crayons, but now I get the same excitement as my word processor is opening. Smile It is the blankness of the screen and my keyboard that inspires me to greatness now. It was hard switching from the pen and paper to the computer but now I find it to be natural and I am a pretty fast typist so I do not feel I have any impediments. My hand writing is good but more of an obstruction than my typing. I play musical instruments and find typing to be an extension to the dexterity and coordination I have with the piano and guitar. Also the spell checker is a great learning tool.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 07:55 am
ive noticed that, with the universal use of the keyboard, language is morphing into a "1984" form of newspeak, in which the rules of linguistic engagement are just flat ingnored. I refuse to correct papers in which a student has , lazily inserted an " The sediments r depos'ted"... or some series of phrases like that. AND I teach at the graduate level, so I have an expectation that language skills are in the students kit bag.

rexred, I like Jonesport, they have the best marine yards there. I bought my boat on Beal Island next door.
I love Maine, alathough I live in Lancaster County PA, I always look for excuses to be downeast. Portland Me. was voted as one of the most livable cities in the US a year or so ago.the only problem Its just a damn long ride from Kittery to our place. Its as long from Pa to the Maine border as it is from Kittery to eastport.

I suppose Id type more than I do but, Ive got this semi paralyzed left hand with no feeling, so, when I do type, I create work with tons of typos and repeated letters. Ive adjusted my keyboard so it isnt so sensitive but its not foolproof.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 11:35 am
I spend a moderate amount of my time at work doing loose drawing and accurate hand drafting, with some associated hand printing. Most of our specifications and notes are done via computer, but we do call-outs on concept plans in hand printing. So, when I get home, I am not so inclined to pick up a pen or pencil. A paintbrush, maybe...
0 Replies

fallen2you

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 09:17 pm
i write more easily on computer because i can edit fairly easily, and other "convienient" tools. however, lots of things during the day inspire me so i like to jot down ideas for future writing and whatnot on a small notebook.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 09:23 pm
fallen--

Welcome to A2K. I hope you stay around.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 09:34 pm
Computer, hands down. It's so to get started, and the editing process is so much easier. "No, this sentence is too long, better split it in two. Done. Oops, there's a hole in the storyline. Better insert a paragraph there to fill it. Done. Oops, this should be 5000 words but it's 5500. Which 500 words to strike. Let's try it this way ... nah, won't work. Control-Z way back to the 5500 word version, try another 500 words. Ahhh, now it works. Done."

I know I can write papers by hand because I used to do it in High School, but my current writing-editing-rewriting-reediting style would be a nightmare without the computer. Bless its little silicon soul.
0 Replies