Do you prefer to write longhand or on the computer?

sozobe

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 12:56 pm
I haven't seriously written in a long time, and am trying to work my way back into it. I've never stopped having ideas now and then; a snippet of dialogue, a plot element, a description. So I finally went and got a book specifically to write these things down when I think of them.

I just seem to get a better flow when I hand write things, though I have no idea why that would be. I think about each word more carefully, perhaps. I seem to get paralyzed more easily when I am in front of a computer screen... just starting to write, seeing the words take shape, is somehow a spur to more.

What about you?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,365 • Replies: 25
No top replies

Seed

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 01:06 pm
i dont know really... i tend to do both, i write when ever i get the urge to write... but i seem to flow bettr when i write long hand. kinda interesting now that you broached the topic really.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 01:13 pm
I find the physical scratching out of ideas on paper oddly satisfying. In fact, I am a chronic scribbler in meetings and anywhere that I am expected to listen and take notes. But my handwriting has never been good and has gone down hill since my school days.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 01:47 pm
The Romantics and Victorians kept "Commonplace Books" in which they kept track of both ideas and material that provoked ideas.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 02:15 pm
I do better on the keyboard. When I run out of inspiration, I'll print, spell check, and maybe reorganize things. Then I'm usually ready to get back to work.
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 02:32 pm
I like to write longhand for the things you describe, but use the computer for writing at any length.

I have ideas, notes, unfinished poems and such on various scraps of paper and interleaved with the contents of "serious notebooks". I stumble upon old notes every now again. Half the time I have no idea what I was on about when I read something I wrote a long time ago.

Self-archeology.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 10:11 pm
I can write faster on the computer, and I find it impossible to write any great length by hand...although I do write myself lots of notes by hand.

The main difference I find is in editing....it is much easier to edit something that has been printed out than to edit it on the screen.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 10:22 pm
I write most everything with a fountain pen. Then i make an outline later. Then I take all the stuff I wrote and dictate it and send it to be typed. I also correct and change drafts on paper. I print the copy at double space and keep on in an endless chain till done.
I cant get used to writing long works on a computer cause I forget what ive said 3 pages before, and I d find myself repeating myself and Id find myself repeating myself .
i love fountain pens and second place are gel pens. Each allows a maximum of doodlery to accompany writing. I often find my handwritten meeting notes posted up on a bulletin board because Im an expert at rendering WWII warplanes like p51's and P38's.

Growing old=required
growing up=optional
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 10:38 pm
I remember I used to love to write with a fountain pen, but now, I would much rather type. The words seem to flow much quickerÂ…plus they can be edited and reworked in a word processor and filed away where you can find them. I seem to have a lot of writings that are labeled "unfinished."
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 11:03 pm
I'd rather type now as well. I know you're talking about 'original writing' here and I haven't done any of that in many years but just in letter writing, I realized at one point that I no longer corresponded with my older relatives because it had become a dilemma. I didn't want to write, physically, but typing on the computer lacked warmth for me and I was afraid that my ninty year old aunt in particluar, a retired school teacher, would find it just plain lazy and unacceptable.
When I asked her about it, she didn't have a problem with it at all and reminded me that for many years, until he died, my father had typed his letters to her, on one of his old Regal typewriters. I'd completely forgotten that.
0 Replies

poetryanthogy

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2004 02:18 am
any it doesnt matter much to me.
I need help i have a question i need help with for my poetry class
What form does the poem take
I dont know what that mean so i dont know how to go about answering the question can anyone help me
from peotry anthology
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2004 02:30 am
Nothing better than copy and paste versus rewriting it in the midst of a thought. Copy and paste leaves much more time for thinking and inspiration. It is a "learning curve" beneficial over the blank piece of paper and the love affair with pens... it is more creative on the computer in the long run and I recommend it over the manual approach. Believe me I used to use those old manual typewriters and type in triplicate with carbon paper... big mistakes and pushing hard keys to type... the digital word processor is the way to go by far!
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2004 02:32 am
Poetry takes the form of rhyme and meter.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2004 02:32 am
A repeating chorus.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2004 02:40 am
Actually a song has a repeating chorus and poetry does not... sorry, I am a song writer, and I got confused for a moment. A repeating chorus is what distinguishes a song from a poem... for the most part. The idea of song writing is knowing the form and deviating from it with intent and technique. The form of song writing is what makes a great song. Poetry has form too, till you evolve to rap, then it takes on a freeform style.
0 Replies

poetryanthogy

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2004 04:11 pm
well ill type in the poem i need help for
I am a tree
like you i breath
I reproduce
I too need the warmth of the sun
The wetness of the rain
The space to grow
One difference between us two
you need me
more than i need you

What form does this poem take?
any ideas
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2004 04:32 pm
You make my point. When I read a report done by one of m y employees I can tell the "cut and paste" approach that is mainstream.
I like a creative approach, and even a pencil draft followed by a series of keyboard edits is better than a strait keyboard approachh from start to finish.
Im not the brightest bulb , but I can tell well worn passages that people lazily stuff into their writing for pure girth.
Even a lot of novelists are cut and pasters. Thats why I stopped reading Stephen King, his work became so derivative that you could pick out his well used passages.
i must say, however, I aam 'The Duke of Download", I keep entire notebooks on research or investigation subjects and , if an opportunity presents itself to utilize the material, I slap it in , or address it by reference

What part of Maine are you in Rex? anywhere near Machias or Eastport?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2004 05:22 pm
I know what you mean, farmerman. I write differently on the computer than by hand -- more stream-of-consciousness, Dave Eggersian. When I hand write, I'm more careful choosing each word because of the hassle involved in changing it, and so the sum total seems to be of better quality. Seems.

I hand-wrote everything in college, then typed it on a horrible manual typewriter (computers existed then and everything -- 90's -- but the lines at the library were endless and buying one was NOT an option, money-wise.) So there's probably that, too, just how I'm used to writing, rather arbitrary 'cause I would have LOVED to have had a computer then.

eoe, I consider letters to be very pertinent to what I'm talking about. Yeah, I just never write letters anymore -- sad. I did write both grandmothers regularly until they died, but with everyone else it's email, email and more email. Which does have its benefits.
0 Replies

poetryanthogy

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2004 05:42 pm
my tree poem
does any body know anything about a poems form i dont and i desperately need to know what form my i am a tree poem is taking for a assignment does anyone know
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2004 05:43 pm
Except for taking quick notes when 'on location', i.e. away from a keyboard, I don't write anything by hand. Haven't since grammar school. I started using a typewriter when very young because my father always had one around, sitting on his desk. As a freshman at university, I recall, an English comp. course required us to submit a 'rough draft' along with the finished copy, to show that we had done a thorough job in writing the thesis. It took me a while, at first, to explain to the prof why even my rough drafts were typewritten. Most of my classmates hand-wrote theirs.

My handrwiting is almost indecipherable to most people, including myself sometimes. But that's a chicken-and-egg sort of thing. Is it indecipherable because I so seldom write longhand or do I prefer to type because it is indecipherable?

I feel a kinship with farmerman, however, when he says he prefers editing hard copy rather than cutting and pasting on the computer screen. I may compose on the 'puter but then I'll always print out what I've written and go over the typed pages with a ballpoint pen, making all the editorial changes that way before bringing the ms. back up on the screen and transcribing the corrections. There's nothing can beat a piece of paper in the hand.

And -- again, like farmerman -- when I take handwritten notes, I tend to doodle like crazy, drawing medieval battle scenes and old West shootouts with infinite detail.
0 Replies