BillW

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2002 11:38 pm
I have about 3 or 4 cups of bananas in the freezer and am thinking about doing some banana nut bread. Any good recipes, I like mine very moist and gooey, not dry. Even though dry, toasted with lots of butter.

Oh, Oh - It's soooooooooooo good!
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 08:54 pm
Idea Question
0 Replies

JerryR

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2002 12:50 am
Hiya BillW,
I've got a really great recipe,..to late to look for it tonight,..but I will post it tomorrow!!
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2002 09:40 am
Thanks http://bostonabuzzers.homestead.com/files/chefffy.gif
0 Replies

JerryR

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2002 09:11 pm
Hi Kara,

Sorry to get to this so late!!

Here's a great e-source for food substitutions:

Cook's Thesaurus

Here's the cake flour info:

Cake Flour
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2002 12:17 pm
http://bostonabuzzers.homestead.com/files/chefffy.gif Idea Exclamation Question Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

JerryR

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2002 01:40 pm
OOOPPPPPSS!!!! Laughing :wink:
Sorry BillW,..I think the season is getting the better of me,..to much work to do!! Laughing

Banana Bread

Ingredients
2/3 cup butter, softened
1 cup white sugar
2 Tbls mollasses
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 ripe bananas, mashed
2 eggs, beaten
2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup chopped walnuts

Cream shortening and sugar; add the mollasses and salt. Add beaten eggs and mix well. Combine flour and soda, then add to creamed mixture alternately with bananas. Stir in nuts. Pour into greased and floured 3-1/2 x 7-1/2 inch bread pans (4 x 8-inch pans work just as well). Bake at 350 degrees for 40 to 45 minutes or until center is dry.

Makes: 2 loaves.

Hope you like!!
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2002 02:39 pm
Thanks Jerry, can brown sugar be used for white sugar - I love the results of brown sugar? UMMMMMMMMMMMMMM good - I'll let you know results!

BTW, glad you read hyroglyphics!
0 Replies

JerryR

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2002 02:59 pm
Hi Bill,

If you use brown sugar, reduce the amount of mollasses to 1 tbls.
(Brown sugar = sugar + mollasses)
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2002 03:01 pm
Thanks!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2002 06:26 pm
yummmmmmmm ... banana bread - the only thing i like better is banana waffles ... actually i'll have either very very happily ... ohhhhhhh there's still one frozen banana bread in the freezer ... it's coming out now, to be sacrificed to a greater good tomorrow.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2002 11:55 am
JerryR, recipe was wonderful. I made a mistake with my first batch. I was making a double batch and inadvertently didn't double the butter or the flour/soda; ie, it had double sugar, molases, salt, nuts and bananas. This turned out very good also. The bread was much shorter in stature, but was still mighty fine.

Thanks for Christmas bakin help. This recipe will now become a cherished delight for years to come!
0 Replies

marycat

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2002 04:48 pm
Beth, I know about banana pancakes, but I've never had banana waffles. Do you put bananas on the waffles, or put banana chunks in the waffles in the iron like pancakes, or mush the bananas into the batter...? How do you get them to unstick? So many delightful banana possibilities!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2002 04:54 pm
Quote:
View topics with posts since your last visit (1006)

Shocked

Just wanted to report that the gift brownies went over big.
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2002 04:54 pm
What an interesting little site there
a Food Thesaurus.... I have to keep
that one bookmarked. Thanks
Normally, every xmas season, I am
cooking banana breads for everyone
I know...this year seems so odd, I have
not baked a single home made desert
not even just the usual xmas cookies
0 Replies

JerryR

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2002 08:01 am
Mornin all!!

{{{{marycat}}}},..great to see ya!!! :wink:

BillW- Glad the banana bread turned out well,..I really like that recipe Very Happy

Babs- Glad you like the thesaurus! Very Happy . Get baking already!!,...only one more day til "diet season" officially starts,..(note the veggie and fish threads I posted this week!!!) Laughing Laughing

OK,..today's victim is Date Nut Bread,..for my mom to bring to a brunch tomorrow (I always bake this one the day before,..then wrap it in cellophane overnight,..so that it's even more moist and delish the next morning!! Very Happy )

Nana's recipe:
Date Nut Bread
(Stores well! Very Happy )

1 1/2 cups chopped, pitted dates
1 1/3 cups boiling water
1/2 cup light brown sugar
2 tls. mollasses
2 tbls. pure vanilla extract
2 tablespoons butter, softened
1 egg
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup chopped walnuts

Bring water to boil in small saucepan. Stir in dates. Remove from heat and cool.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place brown sugar, mollasses and butter in mixer bowl; cream until blended. Add egg and vanilla, beat until smooth. Add date/water mixture, and beat until blended.

In another bowl, combine flour, soda and salt, mixing thoroughly. Stir wet ingredients into flour mixture, stirring just until blended. Do not overbeat. Stir in the nuts.

Pour batter into greased loaf pan, or three small mini-loaf pans. Bake until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, about 60-75 minutes for large loaf, 45-60 minutes for small loaves.

Remove from oven and cool in pan for 15 minutes. Remove from pan and cool on wire rack
0 Replies

JerryR

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2002 08:24 am
sozobe- Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 05:11 am
Time for the holidays again so I thought I would revive this thread and let everyone start drooling as they envision Jerry's Triple Chocolate Chip Cookies from page 4. Very Happy
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 11:58 am
Hi Squinney, I just looked back and found the cookies -- they are on page 3. I will make them next week for Thanksgiving.

I have a child-pleasing recipe for gooey brownies if anyone is interested. It includes caramels, choc chips, german sweet choc cake mix, evap milk, etc. Sinful. (Orgasmic brownies is the name give to them by a friend.)
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 12:00 pm
(sluuurp)

Please post it! Very Happy
0 Replies