Taken in by Aljazeera com - which ISN'T Al Jazeera - dammit!

panzade

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 09:48 am
hmmm? interesting
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 09:53 am
Yeah, I can't find any information on whose site aljazeera.com is, but the real aljazeera news is definitely aljazeera.net.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 10:07 am
Maybe we got snookered Deb
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 10:11 am
Well, some of those are still interesting topics.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 02:47 pm
Well, that is interesting - I am in Al Jazeera net now - and it is in Arabic - I can't see a button for English.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 02:53 pm
dlowan wrote:
Well, that is interesting - I am in Al Jazeera net now - and it is in Arabic - I can't see a button for English.

Al Jazeera English website
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 02:55 pm
Quote:
Tuesday November 30, 2004

Europeans, Americans subscribing to Al Jazeera

IPOH: About four million Europeans started subscribing to Qatar satellite TV network Al Jazeera to get more reliable updates of the Iraq war, said a British journalist.

Yvonne Ridley, a former journalist with The Sunday Express, said Al Jazeera became more popular with Americans and Europeans who were disillusioned with the news carried by the Western networks.

"They found Al Jazeera more believable at that time and it became the best alternative to getting the right picture on Iraq," she told reporters after giving a talk on her experiences in Afghanistan and Iraq here yesterday.

Raja Muda of Perak Raja Nazrin Shah was the guest-of-honour at the talk organised by the Al Khaadem Organisation and the Kelab Bakti Gunung Keledang. Ripley was here to raise funds for orphanages, too.

She was in Afghanistan to write a series on the insight of the people and their views on America's foreign policy after Sept 11 when she was captured and held for 10 days by the Taliban on Sept 28, 2001.

Ridley now writes for a New York-based Islamic weekly from her London home.

She became a Muslim some 20 months ago.
Source
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 02:59 pm
But - googled and found English edition.

http://english.aljazeera.net/HomePage

AlJazeera.com says it is the "International English Edition"......definitely different........

My Goodness!!!!!!

Bless you Freeduck!!!!!!

I have now signed on for email alerts from Aljazeera net too - will do some research when I get home from work!!!!!!

BLUSH!!!!!!

I mean - if it has nothing to do with Aljazeera net, but uses their name, it can be up to no good!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 03:01 pm
For interest - Aljazeera.com on the blast in Mosul:

http://www.aljazeera.com/me.asp?service_ID=6308

Aljazeera.net

http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/7CFA91E9-FEFB-4724-AAD2-D6F764A21858.htm
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 03:02 pm
dlowan wrote:

AlJazeera.com says it is the "International English Edition"......definitely different........

You could have asked me .... or looked at my response above :wink:
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 03:05 pm
Good googling deb. There is an English button in the left corner of the topmost menu too, I think. But it's all the same.

I thought the real aljazeera news was more BBC-ish than the fake one, but that's just my take.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 03:08 pm

One thing kind of funny, the Aljazeera.com article lists the time of the attack at 4AM Eastern Time. Must be an American site. The article correctly names the time as 12 noon -- the time in Iraq of the attack.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 03:09 pm
Al-Jazeera.com is a news portal/conspiracy site based out of the United Arab Emirates (that's where questionable stories such as 'Bin Laden in China' etc are from).

Al-Jazeera.net is the news site based in Qatar which gets all the Al-Qaeda videos etc.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 03:23 pm
Goddammit!!!!

Conspiracy by whom????

I was wondering if it was a damned CIA plot!!!!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 03:30 pm
Lol - I am killing this thread!!!!

Covering my shame, I am gonna delete these damned bodgy reports!!!
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 03:32 pm
Why? Don't do that. It serves as good information for others.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 03:34 pm
And just to make things more confusing, now Panzade's comment on the first page DOES make sense...

(Panzade, are you psychic?)
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 03:36 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
dlowan wrote:

You could have asked me .... or looked at my response above :wink:

I was googling as you posted.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 03:38 pm
Panzade's comment ALWAYS made sense - it was about the article ON Al Jazeera, or so I thought???

Unless - sometimes the position of posts here seems to change - for me, Pan's post is after the article on Al Jazeera, which I have left there.

Was it in a different place for others?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 03:39 pm
I have done it, Free Duck - the thread as it stood was a lie!!!!
0 Replies