Ecology and the Rainforest - Preservation or Destruction?

ehBeth

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 05:16 pm
aktbird57 - You and your 282 friends have supported 1,587,658.4 square feet!

piff - tell the pfk to watch for an email from andy t or aktb or something to that effect. i'll also try to send an e-vite to your current e-ddress.
0 Replies

jeanbean

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 05:32 pm
I didn't get the pix!
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 07:22 pm
Pix didn't show up on my screen either, Stradee. Got a little box w/a little red cross and the words 'image', that's all.
0 Replies

jeanbean

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 07:29 pm
I even right-clicked, chose see pix, and it didn't show.
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 07:38 pm
Ya know, isn't that weird! When I posted the pix they were there, and now all i see on my puter screen is the frame where the picture should be and a x mark also!

There are pic stealing gremlins afoot! Confused

Will try reposting both the pix again
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 07:44 pm
curiouser and curiouser

I can see the pix now! Check one page back and see if you can see the photos also. If not, I'll repost. Thanks.
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 07:44 pm
curiouser and curiouser

I can see the pix now! Check one page back and see if you can see the photos also. If not, I'll repost. Thanks.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 07:47 pm
Nada, zip, zilch.
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 07:50 pm
ma, how in the heck did i get two posts instead of one and how do i delete the second post?

jeese

ok, will repost pixez now
0 Replies

jeanbean

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 07:50 pm
No, non,zip, zilch...
0 Replies

jeanbean

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 07:54 pm
You may be getting it b/c YOUR computer has it...
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 07:58 pm
https://www.msnusers.com/dondan10@hotmail.com/Documents/Pictures%2Fimage0021%5DOrca%26Pal.jpg
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 07:59 pm
Well that worked well
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 09:10 pm
Stradee,
With my photo site I have to check 'Share the pic" or 'Share the Album' etc. Then fill out the email address to share it to myself. Then I copy and paste that URL listed after it comes to me via email - that's the one to post here at A2K.
It isn't as easy as bringing up the image and copying the URL - that's not the "share" URL.

Hope it works.
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 10:40 pm
Danon, I transfered the pix via Publishing Wizard.

Fingers, eyes, and toes crossed - hope the url works.

http://www.msnusers.com/wildllife/shoebox.msnw?Page=1
0 Replies

wordworker

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 12:27 am
Abducted by publishing aliens. Will return after lunch.

Clicked, over and out.

ww
0 Replies

Matrix500

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 01:11 am
Hi, all...

Only have time to leave a link to the Luna article for you. Will try to post more tomorrow (today!).

Oh, and ehBeth...
I got the e-mail you sent out re this thread.

Quote:
Whale of a Tale
When Luna, a people-loving orca, chose Vancouver Island's Nootka Sound for his home, he set in motion a drama of leviathan proportions

When a male orca born in 1999 was missing from the 2001 census of his family group that spends summers in the waters between Washington State and Canada's Vancouver Island, scientists assumed he was dead. They were wrong. The killer whale (actually a member of the dolphin family) suddenly appeared in Nootka Sound halfway up the west side of Vancouver Island, and soon Luna, as he was nicknamed, had a new family group, the boaters and fishermen of the Sound.

Orcas are extraordinarily social, and Luna became increasingly bold. He cavorted in the wake of ships, played fetch and tug-of-war with a boat fender, and even let people rub his tongue when he put his head up on the gunwales of their boats. People fell in love. "You really get moved by them," said Lisa Larsson, a researcher who studies whale sounds. "You don't really know how, but it just touches you inside somehow."

But human interaction with whales can be dangerous for them and for us and Luna's antics were causing damage to boats. The Canadian fisheries department decided that the animal should be captured and moved to rejoin his orca group. This effort has been complicated by concerns of the Mowachaht/Muchalaht First Nation band, who identify with the whale and are afraid that he will be harmed by the capture.

Author Michael Parfit moved to Nootka Sound to report on the unfolding drama, and introduces the diverse cast of characters including Luna, whom he calls a "charmer, a rogue, a goofball, a rambunctious kid."

To read the full text, click here:
http://www.smithsonianmag.si.edu/smithsonian/issues04/nov04/luna.html
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 02:23 am
Matrix, thanks for the new information. The Smithonian link terrific!

<photos of wildlife courtesy of ci and Helen>

all clicked
0 Replies

jeanbean

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 07:47 am
How can that man approach a polar bear through the window?
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 08:37 am
Stradee,
May I have permission to use the photo of the siberian tiger as my avatar on the other site?

Clicked.

And please add me to your email list, ehBeth.

s
0 Replies