If there is no free will, should we show sympathy towards evil doers?

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2017 08:21 am
If we truly have no free will, then that means criminals and psychopaths who do horrible deeds are doing these deeds with no choice on their part. Their brains made them do it. Therefore, should we feel sorry for them and show sympathy towards them knowing that they had no choice in the matter? Should we treat them with kindness, compassion, and respect since it was something that they had no choice in the matter?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,381 • Replies: 14

DrewDad

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2017 08:56 am
@MozartLink,
If we truly have no free will, then there's no sense in worrying about whether we should show sympathy towards them.
MozartLink

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2017 09:00 am
@DrewDad,
But when the brain is presented with enough information, there is the possibility that a change can take place though. So by telling you over and over again that you should feel sympathy towards these evil doers, then chances are that information might get through to you and change your attitude and cause you to show sympathy. Or maybe not. It all depends on the capacities, configuration, etc. your brain has.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2017 09:51 am
@MozartLink,
Can something or someone without free will do evil?

Mount Vesuvious didn't have free will. And, it killed thousands of innocent people. Was it evil?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2017 11:08 am
@MozartLink,
I think you need to go read up on what "no free will" means....
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2017 11:16 am
@MozartLink,
Moz, good q. Basically, is 'free will' even possible
Science seems to postulate a 'no.' though our intuition says otherwise
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2017 11:38 am
I don't know anything bout "evil doers"...only competent and incompetent ppl, more naturally altruistic able, or less, more emotionally intelligent and social aware or sleep zombies...who's to fault ? oh well, prolly losing my time here...
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2017 02:28 am
@MozartLink,
MozartLink wrote:

If we truly have no free will, then that means criminals and psychopaths who do horrible deeds are doing these deeds with no choice on their part. Their brains made them do it. Therefore, should we feel sorry for them and show sympathy towards them knowing that they had no choice in the matter? Should we treat them with kindness, compassion, and respect since it was something that they had no choice in the matter?

I say yes. Which is why I'm against capital punishment and excessive sentences.

Here is my philosophy. Everyone just wants to be content, free of worry and fear. We just want to be happy but we don't know the best way to obtain contentment.

Not everyone has equal opportunities. Some people are raised in terrible families or communities. They struggle much more than average so they get lost in crime to find quick solutions.

So I can easily forgive people, they are driven inwardly to find contentment but our method to get it is not always the best way. We create problems for others sometimes. If we were content to start with we wouldn't cause problems.

So I see this as a force, people are compelled to commit evil because of this curse. Some people just have it a little easier so they don't have to resort to crimes to find C contentment.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2017 03:54 am
@Krumple,
Yes indeed, well put old chap.
0 Replies

Razzleg

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2017 03:49 am
@MozartLink,
MozartLink wrote:

This post is ****...it's the the tabloid version of Φ. It seeks no proofs, evidence, etc, certainly not thought or reflection; it observes nothing -- it just provokes intolerance. Dog whistles abound.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2017 04:14 am
Unless we are actively educating we should always show some degree of empathy with others unfolding experiencing. That implies we understood its particular rational chain of events. In simpler coinage, we were successful in fitting the other shoes.
Razzleg

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2017 02:57 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
say again?
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2017 05:36 am
@Razzleg,
I see your point...

What I meant was that education sometimes may require a more disciplined form of empathy...one that is often confused with lack of it.
I think you got the idea...but yes what I said can be miss interpreted very easily. Thanks for bringing it up so that I was forced to clarify what was meant.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2017 06:18 am
@MozartLink,
MozartLink wrote:
Should we treat them with kindness, compassion, and respect since it was something that they had no choice in the matter?

If we truly have no free will, then we have no choice in the matter and our mechanical brains treat criminals the way they are mechanically forced to treat them, whatever that is, and whatever the result of this present discussion is.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2017 06:54 am
Lack of choice doesn't automatically equate with dumbness or lack of computational capacity. If and when there is understanding even without free will then empathy will happen. Not because we want to be empathic but because we must be empathic. Once you understand the chain of events that cause X and Y behaviour there is no going back to darkness and throwing rocks at the "bad" guys...
0 Replies