Carving speaker wire into plaster?

tei8153

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 08:31 am
here's my predicament:
i want to hook up my surround soiund in my living room. there are no continuous walls and my basement is finished, meaning i cant' go through the floor. what i'm interested in doing is using my dremel tool to carve a "U" in the plaster wall going up, the ceiling, and then the wall going down to the back of the room. i want to put the speaker wire in the carve out and then patch the plaster, prime, and painting to cover up the damage.
-is this feasible?
-are plaster walls generally thick enough to accomodate this?
thanks for any help you can offer....i haven't had alot of experience working with plaster...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,413 • Replies: 10
No top replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 08:36 am
Should work.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 08:47 am
Plaster is pressed onto and between horizontal lathes and, depending on the plasterer was feeling that day, can be as much as 3/4 of inch thick down to about 3/8". There may be a lathe behind the plaster right where you want to make the groove, but that may only cause you to change the router bit you are using more often.

You better hold the Dremel with one hand while using a vacuum with the other. Gonna be a little dusty.
0 Replies

tei8153

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 11:24 am
how would you suggest making the transition from wall to ceiling then ceiling to wall?
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 02:53 pm
It going to be a little tricky no matter how you do it. I suggest you get some wall joint compound, some router bits and try a few test grooves.

Don't forget the touch up paint.

Joe
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 03:11 pm
The plaster over the wire may hold it to the walls, but you may want use something to help it adhere to the ceiling.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 03:13 pm
have you looked into wireless speakers?
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 06:15 pm
Is there carpet in the room? There is flat speaker wire available to run under the carpet or you could tack the wire along the baseboard and it is hardly visible.
0 Replies

tei8153

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2004 05:18 am
sublime1 wrote:
Is there carpet in the room? There is flat speaker wire available to run under the carpet or you could tack the wire along the baseboard and it is hardly visible.
great idea....and the speaker wire goes between the carpet and the pad?
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 08:20 pm
Sorry for the delay, computer has been on the fritz, but yes it should fit between. One trick is to either get a flat fish tape or tape the fish tape so you reduce the risk of snags.
0 Replies

Andy-A-Vguy

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 03:07 pm
like sublime said one option is the flat speaker wire or you can even get away with regular wire if you have baseboards just lay the wire around the room and lightly push the wire under the baseboard.

I saw a product at an electronics show that is a super this wire that you actually put on the outside of the wall and then mud over it. They had not only speaker cable, but you can get power cords, and A/V cables. unfortunately I can't remember the company name, but if you did a google search you would probably find it.
0 Replies