Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 05:56 pm
Anybody here familiar with netbeans, myeclipse, or anything like that and how they work wrt applets?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,871 • Replies: 11
No top replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 07:05 pm
We use JCreator here, though we don't do much with applets -- more servlets-jsps, etc... I like it okay. I haven't tried either of the ones you mention, but others at my job use myeclipse and some are very strong advocates of it.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 07:29 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
We use JCreator here, though we don't do much with applets -- more servlets-jsps, etc... I like it okay. I haven't tried either of the ones you mention, but others at my job use myeclipse and some are very strong advocates of it.

Thanks, and almost unbelievable that a question like that would get answered in less than six months...

Here's the problem. I've inherited a situation involving Java and the last time I took any sort of a look at Java was seven or eight years ago and that wasn't much of a look then. Programming languages which I normally use are C, C++, Tcl/Tk, and python, though I've used others.

I'd have figured IDEs for Java would have been more or less standardized by now but they don't seem to be and I asimply am not seeing anything which I'd call a gui builder with netbeans 4. At least, if it is there they've hidden it well enough I can't find it.

Do most of these packages have guibuilder capabilities or are they just supposed to be code editors?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 07:54 am
We use JCreator almost exclusively as a code editor so I haven't explored it enough to know whether it has gui building capability. We do web apps so most of the interface is done by people who know more about that than I do. I will check it out, though, since it's at my disposal, and get back to you on it.

A very long time ago (probably around the last time you looked at java) I used something called VisualCafe and another called JBuilder. They had swing gui tools included in them. I have no idea what their status is now or whether they even still exist . I could do some research, but I'm guessing you have access to the same resources I do.

Sorry that isn't much help.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 07:57 am
Also, the very best gui builder ever there was is InterfaceBuilder by Apple (was NeXT). I think they are still bundling it with WebObjects and ProjectBuilder. They do Java now, but I don't know if they are widely accepted on the Windows platform.

http://www.apple.com/webobjects/
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 08:57 am
FreeDuck wrote:

A very long time ago (probably around the last time you looked at java) I used something called VisualCafe and another called JBuilder. They had swing gui tools included in them.

Sorry, I should have mentioned, I have a copy of JBuilder but can't use it for this project. This thing has to use the new Java Media Foundation (JMF) stuff which doesn't seem to work with JBuilder on the machine. I can see the gui capabilities of JBuilder but it doesn't help me. I need something more plain vanilla with works with the latest versions of Java and the most natural thing to use would be netbeans IF I could figure the thing out. Every other IDE and gui tool I've ever used were pretty obvious...
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 09:04 am
Well, sorry then. I don't think I have any knowledge to help you with that. I'm sorry to hear it's not so intuitive. Can you find a listserv somewhere for netbeans users? That's always been my best resource when learning something new.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 09:22 am
FreeDuck wrote:
Well, sorry then. I don't think I have any knowledge to help you with that. I'm sorry to hear it's not so intuitive. Can you find a listserv somewhere for netbeans users? That's always been my best resource when learning something new.

It doesn't have to be netbeans, just something which can work with latest Sun Java, MyEclipse is also a possibility. I'll try to get a look at that later today or tommorrow.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 09:29 am
You should try Eclipse.

I am very happy with it and have always found it intuitive. I have used it to produce applets and I know people who have happly used it with JMF.

Good Luck.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 09:32 am
BTW Eclipse is free. It is also widely used and quite robust. I don't know what MyEclipse is offering you that is worth $30.

I would just download Eclipse proper from www.eclipse.org
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 09:53 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
BTW Eclipse is free. It is also widely used and quite robust. I don't know what MyEclipse is offering you that is worth $30.

I would just download Eclipse proper from www.eclipse.org

Does eclipse come with some sort of a gui builder feature?
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 12:26 am
Answer seems to be here, and seems to work...

http://www.eclipse.org/vep/
0 Replies