Post your favorite Chili recipie

Fedral

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2004 10:06 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Ooh, do we have a Bengals fan in the house?

I thought I was the last Bengals fan left in America
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 10:21 am
My chili recipe doesn't follow strict measurements and the ingredients are subject to change, but as far as I've been able to figure out, that helps make it authentic Western California Cowboy style. This freezes well as individual servings or in quantity.

Put into a deep soup pot:
2 cups or more of your favorite salsa, homemade or store-bought
2-4 pounds of lean & meaty, raw beef, cut into chunks or left whole
2 cups or more beef broth (water OK for all or part)

Make sure the meat is covered by liquid (one reason to chunk it up a little). Bake at 250, covered, about six hours. You can check it if you want & add liquid. (This can be done overnight if you bake at 225 and ensure there is plenty of liquid).

When the smell is absolutely tantalizing and the meat falls apart, remove from oven. There should still be plenty of liquid in the pot. If not, you can add some later.

Let it cool, then tear apart the meat with forks or fingers, removing anything you don't want to eat. The chili is done and will be delicious as soon as you warm it up again.

Good additions to increase the yield:
canned or cooked beans of any ilk, my preference is canned kidney beans, rinsed well
refried beans will give it "body"
black olives -- I like them whole, but can be sliced
canned tomatoes -- or lightly sauteed fresh
more peppers -- must be cooked
more broth

After you've added whatever you want, heat the chili for at least a half hour on the stove or fire. It is unlikely you will need to add any salt or pepper.

Favorite way to serve for a crowd: This makes a pretty buffet meal if you put all the interesting ingredients out for guests to serve themselves.
Bowls of shredded lettuce, chunks of tomatoes, chopped green onion, minced white onion, olives, grated cheddar, grated jalapeno jack cheese, a couple kinds of salsa, guacamole, hot sauces, hot-from-the-griddle corn and flour tortillas and the big pot of chili.

My favorite way to eat chili is with cornbread -- put a square of cornbread in a bowl, ladle on chili & top with slivers of sharp cheddar.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 10:25 am
oooh....Piff...I like it.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 10:49 am
Wink
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 11:11 am
CAV_I found the thread from last Jan. Once you get past Diddie questioning my manhood, its all good
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18344
0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2008 09:44 am
Tagging
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2008 03:54 pm
Its soon the middle of chili season. I always liked this thread because it was the interplay of this one, one I started , and one that cavfancier started."((((sigh)))) memories.
Butrflynet

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 01:35 am
Found an Alton Brown episode on Chili and chili powder so am posting it here. Recipes featured in this episode: AB's Chili Powder and Pressure Cooker Chili.

Part one:

Part two:
0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 07:31 pm
Frost predicted tomorrow morning.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2009 11:01 am
@farmerman,
Found it! I was thinking your thread was on abuzz, but here we go on a2k:
http://able2know.org/topic/18344-1 Chili Help Requested
farmerman

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2009 02:27 pm
@ossobuco,
Brings nack memories, when cav and Timber were still with us. Eveb Diddies gone to the blogosphere.
0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Mon 2 Nov, 2009 08:09 am
@au1929,
I have made au1929 chili con carne recipe many times now. It was my first chili recipe I have ever attempted. It is great for a starting recipe,..have had many good reviews.

Here is au1929 recipe:

Chili con carne

3 table spoons of olive oil
1/2 cup of chopped green peppers
1/2 cup of chopped onions
pound of lean ground beef
2 cups of crushed tomatoes
1 10 1/2 can of tomato soup
1/2 teaspoon of paprika
1 bay leaf
1 table spoon of chili powder
1/8 teaspoon of cayenne pepper.
1 clove of garlic mashed
1 16 0z can red kidney beans with liquid

Heat oil in ten inch skillet, brown ground beef, onion and green peppers in oil. Add all ingredients with exception of garlic salt and kidney beans. Cover and simmer on low heat for an hour. Stirring occasionally
than add garlic, salt and kidney beans with liquid and heat thoroughly

If you like it hotter use 1 1/2 table spoons of chili powder.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 05:31 pm
terrible sadness to not see piffka ,fedral and au1929 around anymore.

Anyway, sometimes I'm lazy and wanna throw stuff in the crock pot and walk away.
So I put a lb of ground beef and a link of parsley & cheese sausage(sliced) in the crock pot with a can of Manwich and a can of pinto beans. Add a McCormicks chili envelope and let it simmer for 3 hours.

Top with shredded sharp cheddar and minced onions.

Piffka is right ...goes good with cornbread.
alex240101

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 08:23 am
@panzade,
Sounds good. So does sopping up your recipe with crusty bread.
panzade

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 11:46 am
@alex240101,
sounds good...
0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2011 07:43 am
Today is a chili day.
0 Replies

thack45

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2011 03:31 pm
Well I don't have a favorite, but I've been looking for a go-to recipe. I've only made chili a few times and was never particularly thrilled with them. Here's an easy one that looks like it has potential:

Ingredients -----------------------------------------------------------

1 1/2 lb. stew meat, cut into 3/4-inch pieces, or ground beef
2 medium onions, finely chopped
2 tablespoons diced green bell pepper
2 garlic cloves, minced shopping list
1 (28-oz.) can diced tomatoes
1 (15- to 16-oz.) can kidney beans, undrained
1 (6-oz.) can tomato paste
1 cup water
1 beef bouillon cube
2 to 3 teaspoons chili powder
2 teaspoons salt
1 to 2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 bay leaf
1 cup beer

How to make it -----------------------------------------------------------------------

Cook meat, onions, bell pepper and garlic in nonstick Dutch oven
or large saucepan over medium-high heat until browned, stirring frequently.
Drain fat.
Stir in all remaining ingredients.
Cover; bring to a simmer.
Cook 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
Remove bay leaf before serving.

http://www.grouprecipes.com/36294/homemade-classic-chili.html

Now I don't do onions or bell peppers (I know, I know), so those were omitted. I did use onion powder. The tomatoes were Muir Glenn fire roasted. And i tried Swanson beef stock in place of the 1 cup water and bouillon. (yeah, I don't really know what I'm doing here. just trying to keep the sodium down) To start, I used only 1/2 cup of Sam Adam's Winter lager. Hmm. We'll see how it goes...
farmerman

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2011 04:38 pm
@thack45,
I totally forgot about this thread. Thanks for bringing it up. I too would lose the green peppers cause they just make foods bitter. BUT , I would use ripe bell peppers where the bitterness is replaced by a sweet undertone. I also will lose the cumin. (I cannot stand cumin)

Stew meat is better than hamburger.
I would also add 3 whole cloves. It adds a dimension that you dont really recognize but it brings up the complexity.

Ill use ST Pauli Girl NA
thack45

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2011 05:14 pm
@farmerman,
It's funny you mention the green peppers. I was just wondering if that was the missing ingredient. The chili is coming along nicely but there is a bit of sweetness that I always end up with when I make it. Last time I cut in a little yellow mustard with decent results. I guess we all like our chili a little different and most every kind I've loved had green peps in it (I'd eat around them). And I specifically sought out a recipe that listed cumin as an ingredient.

I'll agree that stew meat is better than ground meat, but it's too complicated. Silly as it sounds, even though it tastes better, the extra chewing is a little too laborious to me for a comfort food like chili. (oh, and I never added the other 1/2 cup of Sam Adams.)
0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Sat 19 Oct, 2013 08:56 am
@Fedral,
Making au1929 chili con carne recipe today.
0 Replies