2003 Subaru Outback Wagon with 70K mileage. Should I buy it?

lois

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 01:50 pm
I am interested in a 2003 Subaru Outback 4 Dr AWD
Wagon. It has clean report, 1 owner and good price
(about $14k). But it has 70K high mileage for a 2003
car. Do you think it can be a problem for a 1.5 years
old car used so intensively? When I test-drive this
car, what should I pay attention to? Should I buy it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,448 • Replies: 8
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 05:58 pm
Highway miles are much less damaging to a car than city miles. Take the car in for a used car check. Check the blue book value then try to dicker the price down a bit (standard suggestion for any used car sale).
0 Replies

stoplearning

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 06:08 pm
I wouldnt buy it. 70,000 miles is a long way for a year or so.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 06:14 pm
At that age and milage there is only one thing I would be really concerned about with the test drive.

Take it out and floor it going up a hill and listen for knocking/pinging. Those Subaru's have a habit of stretching their timing belts and if it's stretched you'll hear knocking or pinging when you floor it (Subaru recommends the belt be replaced at 60,000 miles).

I wouldn't consider knocking/pinging to be a disqualifier if the rest of the car is in good shape but if you hear it expect to pay out another $400 soon to have that timing belt replaced. Maybe you can use that in negotiating a final selling price.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 06:32 pm
I had a Subaru once ... little sucker was still runnin' fine when the front strut mounts rusted through the towers. That was somewhere arounf 399,000 miles, as I recall. If the puppy seems tight and responsive, doesn't make unpleasant noises, and seems otherwise fine, as long as you're buyin' it for the long term, I see no reason to shay away from it. I might try to hammer the price a bit.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 06:51 pm
Sounds pretty cheap for that car. Just have it checked by a mechanic before you buy.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 10:06 pm
Hm, the Subaru was driven approx. 200 miles per day and at 70 K you probably won't have any warranties left. I would
not buy it, there might be too much wear and tear.

Bluebook value is around $ 13,000.
0 Replies

lois

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 03:17 pm
Thank you
Thank you guys for replying me. I will surely consider your inputs.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 03:51 pm
Actually, the real retail value is $17050, according to NADA, which is the guide that insurance companies use when compensating you if you total the car or it's stolen. Trade-in is $14K. This is considering a base-model outback wagon w/70K miles.

However, these guides, NADA, Blue Book and Edmunds usually mean jack-sh!t in the real world. They're not usually an accurate representation of the true market value. Best way to check that is see how much comparable cars are selling for in ads. But, at least you know you'd make money if the car was a loss to the insurance company!

A used car with 70K definitely obviously won't have any factory warranties left. But you can always buy an extended warranty from the dealer or online.

It's high miles, but only for the year. If the car was ten years old, it would be considered low miles. And being high miles doesn't necessarily equal abused. Obviously it's a lot cheaper than a low mileage '03 Outback. And Subarus are reliable cars.
0 Replies