Ambiguity Relative Clause

khal01

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2017 12:50 pm
Hey there!

I would be gladful if anyone of you could correct me if I'm right. It's about ambiguity in defining and non-defining relative clauses (it's British English):

1) Seller is the parent company of the Parts group which is active in the business of machine components.

2) Seller is the parent company of the Parts group, which is active in the business of machine components.

3) Seller, which is active in the business of machine components, is the parent company of the Parts group .

4) Seller is the parent company of the Parts group that is active in the business of machine components.

In my opinion 1) and 4) "which is active in the business of machine components" could refers to Seller or Parts group --> ambiguous.

2) "which is active in the business of machine components" refers solely to Parts group.

3) "which is active in the business of machine components" refers solely to Seller.

By the way, is there a difference when I use which and if in a defining relative clause? I would be really gladful if anyone of you could help me!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 419 • Replies: 1
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2017 02:20 pm
@khal01,
Quote:
1) Seller is the parent company of the Parts group which is active in the business of machine components.
'Cause can be misread to mean there are a number of Parts Groups only one of which is into machcomps; so doncha need a comma after 'group'

Cen where are ya; is it just me, am I losin' it
0 Replies