What is a sweet wine that you can recommend?

Panama

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 11:24 pm
I would some ideas of sweet wines that aren't exactly dry. I liked Asti, and also Arbon Mist, but I wanted other ideas. Thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,721 • Replies: 17
No top replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 11:42 pm
If you're talking dessert wines try:
De Bortoli's Noble One

Then again I don't know how available it is outside Australia. If you have a liquor store with a knowledgable sales person ask them about botrytis wines and other late picked styles like Spaetlese and Gewurtztraminer.

When you say Asti - do you mean their spumante? - Never heard of Arbon Mist. Are you talking about sweet sparkling wines, rather than sweet still wines? - I remember you writing about Dom Perignon...

I'll put my wine w*nker hat back in the cupboard
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 11:56 pm
Any dessert wine made with muscat grapes is usually wonderful. Ex. Nivole. There is another wine very similar to nivole which is both better and cheaper, but I forget the name.

Also, I forget the proper name, but grapes that are frozen on the vine before being harvested get really sweet, and they make a dessert wine out of that.

Also, I love a little triple cream brie' on a wheat cracker (maybe with a little apricot jam...) with my wine.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 12:47 pm
Arbor Mist is a blended drink made of wine and fruit flavors. It comes in several flavors, like strawberry zinfandel, but it's not pure wine.

I think the wine made with frozen grapes is called ice wine, but I may be wrong. I know they've made ice from frozen grapes in Germany for a long time, and it seems the term "ice wine" is newer...
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 01:03 pm
I'm guessing Portal Star meant Muscat grapes, and yes, there are many sweet wines made from them, most notably Moscato d'Asti, which I'm sure you have had, given that you mentioned you like Asti. Ice Wine is made from frozen grapes, and in German it is called 'Eiswein'. It is one of many categories in the German wine lexicon. German wines used to be categorized in terms of sweetness, although these days they are making some fine dry wines as well. The true sweet wines, not Arbor Mist, which as Wy pointed out is a blend of wine and fruit flavours, are made from grapes affected with a common fruit fungus called 'botrytis', also known as 'noble rot'. Ice wine is in a category of it's own, as it is a wine made from botrytis-affected grapes that have also been allowed to freeze solid on the vine. Here is a good link explaining how the German labelling system works: http://www.wineambitions.dabsol.co.uk/german/classifications.htm

For some inexpensive sweet wines of quality, look to Greece. Samos Muscat for white, and Mavrodaphne of Patras for red.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 05:09 pm
cavfancier wrote:
I'm guessing Portal Star meant Muscat grapes, and yes, there are many sweet wines made from them, most notably Moscato d'Asti, which I'm sure you have had, given that you mentioned you like Asti. Ice Wine is made from frozen grapes, and in German it is called 'Eiswein'. It is one of many categories in the German wine lexicon. German wines used to be categorized in terms of sweetness, although these days they are making some fine dry wines as well. The true sweet wines, not Arbor Mist, which as Wy pointed out is a blend of wine and fruit flavours, are made from grapes affected with a common fruit fungus called 'botrytis', also known as 'noble rot'. Ice wine is in a category of it's own, as it is a wine made from botrytis-affected grapes that have also been allowed to freeze solid on the vine. Here is a good link explaining how the German labelling system works: http://www.wineambitions.dabsol.co.uk/german/classifications.htm

For some inexpensive sweet wines of quality, look to Greece. Samos Muscat for white, and Mavrodaphne of Patras for red.

Ah, yes thank you! *feels like an idiot*

We do have mustang grapes here in texas, and they taste like crap. I mean the really sweet, globular green grapes that they make wines out of - I think they are muscat.

"Ice wine" kept coming to mind, but I told myself "No, that's too easy."
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 07:12 pm
http://www.epinions.com/content_2832048260

This sounds good... as an example of the botryis wines.
I've had a small bottle of Conn Creek Late Harvest Sauvignon Blanc 1989 in the refrigerator for two years; I'm waiting until I feel like drinking some sweet wine..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 07:44 pm
But those bottles of wine are expensive. I think at the regular grocery store wine section, a riesling or... to me, a chenin blanc, are fairly sweet.

If you live in city with a good wine store, just go in and ask, and they will point them out to you. Some wine stores have long descriptions near the wine, to help you figure out what is special about one or the other. There is a nifty wine store in west Los Angeles called Wally's. Hmmm, I'll see if it's online; they may have some handy info.

Some wine stores have fliers or bulletins that list their favorite picks of the month. Trader Joe's has some wine with descriptions in their general bulletin, I think (it's been a while since I've lived near a Trader Joe's).

Here's Wally's - http://www.wallywine.com
They have primo wines; haven't checked the site for descriptions yet - there are probably better websites for basic descriptions.
I'd google under Dessert Wines.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 08:59 pm
Ice wine (eiswein), at least here in Canada is generally made from either Riesling or Vidal grapes. Another sweet wine of worth is Tokaji, from Hungary.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 11:45 pm
I like Tocai fruilano from italy, though I haven't had it for years. Not allllllllllllllll that sweet though, at least the bottle I bought in Santa Monica, CA (at some effort, it wasn't easy to find in the early nineties.)

Hmm, spell check says nineties is right, but it looks wrong.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 11:50 pm
Backing up, never mind that it wasn't all that sweet, my memory of it was that it tasted ... good, the tocai fruilano. (Tokay from Friuli, a region of italy that has changed governmental hands multiple times).
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 02:31 am
Good ideas about checking at the local wine shops in the area. I had been racking my brain trying to remember the last time I had a dessert wine and nothing was coming to mind. I kind of get stuck in a rut wine wise and try to buy from local vintners mostly. I have read in Wine Spectator that the Muscats are very good. I'm not too sure on pricing, but if cost is not object, I understand some of the imports are quite tasty.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 02:47 am
If you want really sweet wine, I can recommend Sauternes of Bordeaux.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 07:11 am
If cost IS an object, I think Trader Joe's (if there's one in your area) is a good place to start. They are among the stores that post descriptions of the wine, and the staff can also guide you to something you'd probably like.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 10:48 am
Anything from my uncle Boone.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 10:51 am
cjhsa wrote:
Anything from my uncle Boone.

**College flashback**
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 11:02 am
Oh lord....we all did that, heh heh.

Getting back to satt's comment about Sauternes, you will get better value if you look for wines from the Barsac region, which borders Sauternes, and in fact share a domain, but not the name. They are equally good, IMO, and less expensive.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 05:57 pm
Oh man, I love trader Joe's, but they don't have them where I live.

If a bottle of wine I buy is too expensive, I won't enjoy it. I try to stay under $30, or I'll just fret about how expensive it was. Unless, of course, someone else buys the expensive wine for me, and then I think "I must be really special to be given this expensive wine. Yum."
0 Replies