The Biggest Loser

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 08:43 am
starts tonight!

12 contestants, who can lose the most weight.

I'll be watching.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,930 • Replies: 26
No top replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 09:13 am
This show seems to be like watching a car wreck. I will not tune in. At first I thought that this could actually be a positive thing, until I heard some additional information. It is not only "helping" obese people lose weight, but they are having them engage in all sorts of degenerating challenges. For example squeezing into a car window. Even though these particular individuals did agree to this sort of participation, other overweight people may feel comfortable about their weight. This sort of show makes fun of people who are overweight and puts them in positions that really put down such people. I just think the show is in poor taste.
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 09:19 am
aren't most reality shows in poor taste? I mean c'mon... One guy, 12 or more girls all fight, pull hair, and backstab just to get and hopefully marry this stranger?

recording anyone's life and magnify their weaknesses just to make them out to be slut, racist, etc?

While I see your point, I'm positive that this will have more of a positive effect than negative at the end. Sometimes seeing who you don't want to be (picture of your BEFORE self for example or in this case that you can't fit in ONE seat) helps individuals striver harder to achieve a goal. Sometimes being in the spotlight/embarrassed does this too.

They are also having a celebrity biggest loser on comedy central (or is it VH1). One of the two. I can't wait to see that one. It's got good ol' Ralphie from Last Comic Standing.

Smile
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 09:45 am
Yes, Joahaeyo most are in poor taste. I guess this show really turned me off when I first thought, this may be helping some one that wants to lose weight and has had difficulty do so. Then when I heard about some of the challenges, I was disgusted with it.

But the one thing about this show is it is classifying one group in a negative light. What if you were overweight and thought, I look beautiful just the way I am, but then a show displays this as being ugly. They actually call these people ugly fat slobs in the ad I heard. There really is not much redeeming value in that.

What if they had a show depicting dwarfs or midgets? Wait they did - the littlest groom. I never watched that show either, but imagine if you were of that group? How would it make you feel?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 09:54 am
Reality shows are a joke. Every single one, except American Idol. For some reason I have a soft spot in my heart for that show....beats me....

I hate Survivor, The Bachelor, The Bachelorette, The Littlest Groom, My Big Fat Obnoxious Fiance, My Big Fat Obnoxious Boss, The Apprentice, The Biggest Loser, Big Brother, The Simple Life, The Real World, Road Rules, The Mole, Are You Hot?, Manhunt, For Love or Money, Who Wants to Marry a Millionaire?, Who Wants to Marry My Dad?, The Benefactor, Average Joe and The Amazing Race.

Did I miss any? I'm sure I did...but just look....my god...have our lives become so mundane and boring that we have to have "reality" (and i use that term incredibally loosely) television? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 09:55 am
I definitely see your point and agree.

I am weak though and I guess somehow enjoy seeing people set themselves up for failure.

And I don't mean it as BAD as it sounds, but I mean in general in regards to other reality shows since they did sign themselves up knowing there will be some twist or SOMETHING to shock them. At least they should know after so many reality shows have been on tv. I always hope for mroe drama, fights, backstabbing b/c this is why I watch!

Again, I know that sounds bad. Just being honest.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 11:11 am
Joahaeyo - we all enjoy different things - does not make you a bad person at all. I can understand the attraction to such stuff even when we all know it is pure garbage. I admit I have watched the Bachelor and Survivor. Sometimes when I get home at night after working all day and then coming home and taking care of the kids, what I really want is some useless thoughtless garbage TV with not one ounce of value whatsoever.
0 Replies

chris56789

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2004 01:10 am
i like when they tempt them with fatning food and they are all like, "Oh man, i want it, i want it!!!"
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2004 12:34 pm
pretty bad that they don't just tempt them, but they give them a challenge where they must use their "mouth" to transfer their favorite fatty foods. Laughing
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 08:33 am
Hey I missed it last night... who got kicked off?
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 08:10 pm
I didn't watch either.

I'm watching tonight though and cried when that guy got reunited with his wife. He really looks good now and it shows!

I can't believe the biggest guy there is having the hardest time losing weight (number wise each week). He came in next to last when they ranked the total percentage they lost since they got there. I think he lost 50lbs though, so good for him.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 08:14 am
Ok, I am guilty of watching this for the first time.....shame shame on me....actually, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Hm.

I am glad they didn't get rid of the big guy. He needs the most help.
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 07:45 pm
Watching Moe achieve his goals tonight and finish that run made me get all teary-eyed. Good job!!

I'm so proud of everyone.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 08:11 am
I watched it again....
I am glad Mo is still there.
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 04:22 pm
oh, is he? good to know. I missed the last 10 minutes because I'm packing up.
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 08:17 pm
Everyone looks FABULOUS!!!

That one guy (not one of the finalists) who threw up when they first started working out, the tallest, and thought to be the most athletic (1st episode) ...is looking mighty good. He's the brunette with the bowl type haircut (bangs) ...probably one of the youngest.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 07:31 am
Did you see Mo!!!!!! He has a neck!!!!
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 09:18 am
Gary was so close to winning... I think he deserved it. Ryan may have lost more weight but Gary had such huge improvements health wise and I think worked harder that n anyone. I was rooting for him.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 09:28 am
me too.
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 09:43 am
me three, but mostly b/c I didn't like Ryan.
0 Replies