The Netherlands set up global safe abortion fund to counter Trump cuts

Foofie

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2017 04:20 pm
Remembering that New Amsterdam (Manhattan, NYC) was Dutch before the English took it over (where Trump is from) might reflect some unconscious motivation for offering American women the benefit of Dutch largesse?

It was the habit of the English, after they inhabited New Amsterdam, to eat John Cheese, that the Dutch mocked them by calling them John Cheese. The English took up the moniker, but with the inability to say it like a Dutchman; it was pronounced Yankee by the English. I guess there might still be a faint memory that the Dutch could have had this country, if they played their cards right? They could have been a contender.

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2017 07:03 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Canada is in as well

link

Quote:
Canada will increase its funding to international organizations that provide abortion-related services after U.S. President Donald Trump signed an executive order blocking American funding for those services.

"Women's rights is too important for us to make a compromise on that."
- Marie-Claude Bibeau, Minister for International Development, on whether the Trudeau government is fearful of angering Trump.

In an interview with As It Happens guest host Helen Mann on Friday, Minister of International Development Marie-Claude Bibeau said the Liberal government would support a Dutch-led initiative to fund international programs supporting women's reproductive health.

"I think that restricting the access to abortion does not reduce abortion. It only increases the number of unsafe abortions and it endangers the lives of women," Bibeau said.

Quote:
Dutch International Development Minister Lilianne Ploumen said earlier this week that as many as 20 countries had indicated their support for the effort to replace the $600 million U.S. in funding that will be lost because of Trump's decision.

"Yes, we will support the [Dutch] effort," Bibeau said. "Will it be directly through the fund or indirectly, this is not clear yet. But, I assure my colleague, the Minister from the Netherlands, that we will increase our funding to sexual and reproductive health and rights. This is definitely a very important priority for our government."
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2017 08:40 pm
Look at that! The rest of the world stepping up and helping make the donuts!
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2017 11:04 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:
Look at that! The rest of the world stepping up and helping make the donuts!

Quote:
http://i65.tinypic.com/50mhqe.jpg

Source
McGentrix

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2017 11:27 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Someone could say that there are 100,000 deaths per 100,000 abortions... I mean not me, but someone could say that, right? Would they be wrong?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2017 12:01 am
@McGentrix,
So someone, not you, means that its better to let these women die.
McGentrix

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2017 12:10 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

No, someone, definitely not me, might have been talking about the aborted things. I don't think that all of those abortions were done because the mothers life was in danger. Do you think that? That the reason for all those abortions is because the mother's life was in danger?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2017 12:17 am
@McGentrix,
Obviously I don't get it.
I thought, the graph is about deaths due to unsafe abortions.
I thought that the Netherlands and other countries set up a global safe abortion fund.
And that this happens because of the cuts by the new US-government.
My bad that I missed the topic you're referring to.

But as you said, I'm "like Drax in Guardians of the Galaxy".
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2017 01:07 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Obviously, I'm not alone here, though:
Quote:
By removing funding from organisations that also deal with malaria and other child health issues, the policy could threaten progress on many fronts, including efforts to reduce HIV-related deaths and new infections, and decrease childhood mortality through malaria prevention and treatment initiatives and immunisation programs.
Source

But in my opinion - and opposite what others might say, according to McG - the main problem still becomes even worse now:
Quote:
Unsafe abortion is one of the five main causes of maternal mortality, accounting for 13% of cases, according to the World Health Organization (WHO).
The Mexico City Policy is based on the US Republican party's pro-life position, which has resonance with much of socially conservative Africa, where abortion is largely illegal.
Abortion on demand can only be offered in four out of 54 African countries, according to the UN's World Abortion Policies report.
But the continent carries the biggest burden of unsafe abortions, according to the WHO.
[...]
"Without US funding, from 2017 to 2020, over 1.8 million unintended pregnancies will probably occur; more than 660,000 abortions will happen and over 10,000 maternal deaths will not be averted," says Effiom Effiom, country director for Marie Stopes in Nigeria.
Source
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2017 11:29 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

You left out half of the equation, so to speak. For all the abortions, safe or unsafe, a human life is ended (aka, dies). Plus, with the morning after pill, why are women that don't want a baby getting pregnant? My question is, how many of these women that do get pregnant, and not ready/able to care for an infant by themselves, had some goal of having the father of the conception marry them. And, then when the father said bye-bye, they wanted to erase the proverbial blackboard with an abortion?

The mantra that women have the right to do with their body, as they choose, does not seem to be how "mother nature" made women to be that autonomous; otherwise the postman would deliver babies.

Notice how many people of the Catholic faith are pro-abortion. This seems like having one's cake and eating it too, so to speak. Perhaps, there should be "a sin of hypocrisy"?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2017 11:34 am
@Foofie,
Again, I don't get here, too, what thise response has to do with the fact that the Netherlands set up a global safe abortion fund to counter Trump cuts nor with the graph, McG responded to (deaths after unsafe abortions).

hightor

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2017 11:46 am
@Foofie,
Quote:
Plus, with the morning after pill, why are women that don't want a baby getting pregnant?

There are many reasons. Birth control can fail and the woman might not even know she's pregnant until she misses a period. Not every woman has easy access to levonorgestrel, either. (There was a Catholic pharmacist in my town who wouldn't stock Plan B.) Some women are too poor, others might be prevented by a controlling partner. Some might have wanted a baby until discovering later in the pregnancy that the fetus is deformed or that childbirth poses a lethal risk.
Quote:
My question is, how many of these women that do get pregnant, and not ready/able to care for an infant by themselves, had some goal of having the father of the conception marry them.

Basically, it's none of your business.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2017 01:42 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:
For all the abortions, safe or unsafe, a human life is ended (aka, dies).

no. no it doesn't.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2017 01:43 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:
Notice how many people of the Catholic faith are pro-abortion.

People are not pro-abortion.

People who support the right of women to have abortions are pro-life and pro-choice.

McGentrix

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2017 02:15 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Foofie wrote:
For all the abortions, safe or unsafe, a human life is ended (aka, dies).

no. no it doesn't.

How about a "potential human life is ended"?
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2017 02:19 pm
@McGentrix,
How about 'potential human' is not now a human?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2017 03:16 pm
Foofie wrote:

Quote:
Notice how many people of the Catholic faith are pro-abortion

Many Catholic women ( as with many American women, in general) use some form of birth control to avoid unwanted pregnancy. But how does the use of birth control by these women relate to your statement about Catholics favoring abortion as a form of birth control?

I don't think that most American Catholic women favor abortion. Stats have indicated that a very high persentage of Catholics use some form of birth control to avoid unwanted preganancies, but I don't know of any stats that show that Catholics favor the use of abortion.

Do legal, American abortion clinics record, prior to an abortion, the race, creed, etc of the pregant woman prior to an abortion? Even if such data were retained, it would violate American law to disclose such information to the general public.

Thus,there is no reason to conclude that American Catholics favor abortion, while other religions do not. Is there?
hightor

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2017 03:59 am
@Miller,
American Catholics have a higher rate of birth control use compared to women as a whole. Because their use of contraception is higher their abortion rates are lower; the procedure is more likely to be used in response to life-threatening complications (for mother or fetus) in a pregnancy rather than as a method of "birth control".
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2017 01:13 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Again, I don't get here, too, what thise response has to do with the fact that the Netherlands set up a global safe abortion fund to counter Trump cuts nor with the graph, McG responded to (deaths after unsafe abortions).

So my thoughts are non-sequiturs Your Lordship?
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2017 01:17 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Quote:
Plus, with the morning after pill, why are women that don't want a baby getting pregnant?

There are many reasons. Birth control can fail and the woman might not even know she's pregnant until she misses a period. Not every woman has easy access to levonorgestrel, either. (There was a Catholic pharmacist in my town who wouldn't stock Plan B.) Some women are too poor, others might be prevented by a controlling partner. Some might have wanted a baby until discovering later in the pregnancy that the fetus is deformed or that childbirth poses a lethal risk.
Quote:
My question is, how many of these women that do get pregnant, and not ready/able to care for an infant by themselves, had some goal of having the father of the conception marry them.

Basically, it's none of your business.

Actually it is my business, if one day American taxes contribute to this Dutch fund. It is also my business, since if the world wants Americans to help protect them from bully nations, as they have, then my morality about being pro-life is the consequence of asking for U.S. concern in other matters. There are no free lunches anymore (buy a beer for 5 cents and and get a free ham sandwich).
0 Replies