Pastels help and advice

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 01:34 pm
I'm just starting out and I need advice from anybody who can give me some. I really want to start using pastels but I am totally clueless. I don't know what kind of paper to use for it, if there is a certain way to blend colors, techniques, layering. I know nothing and I really need help. Anybody who can lend a helping hand, PLEASE DO SO, it will be much appreciated.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 881 • Replies: 7
No top replies

colorbook

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 03:36 pm
I hope you can find the information you need here Smile

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17510&highlight=pastels
0 Replies

CarbonSystem

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 08:27 pm
Thanks colorbook. You have no idea how much this helped me. When I start my first pastel piece I'll be sure to post it up here and hopefully get the same response as the thread you sent me. Thanks again.

carbon
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 08:32 pm
You're welcome CS...by the way, I'm from Michigan too Smile
0 Replies

CarbonSystem

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 08:47 pm
Well it's good to know there's a fellow Michigander here. I don't see too many of them. The best landscapes we have to draw are mainly lakes and forests. Whereabouts in MI?
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 08:52 pm
A bit northwest of Detroit.
0 Replies

CarbonSystem

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 12:49 pm
I've just bought all of my supplies to start painting w/ pastels. The only problem is, I wasn't thinking when I bought them and I got oil pastels and not normal pastels. So I can't very well do the style of art I've been thinking of and I also bought 'canva-paper' to use. What is the difference between oil pastels and other kinds?
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 05:53 pm
they are totally different and you can't use them in the same way.

I use them as a resist in sketches with watercolour - putting down some intense darks and some of the lights in oil pastel and then being able to slosh the watercolour about knowing that these areas are preserved, I do a lot of mixed media work. (also combined with acrylics and charcoal)

Personally I don't like them for using alone in a finished work - sorry if this is depressing when you haved a set! some other painters may have different advice.
0 Replies