Amateur Pen and Ink

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 10:46 am
Here is a picture I drew. I know it is terrible and I need advice on how to improve my artwork. Anybody's help is wanted and needed. Thanks

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0VABmAwQafGftTpnsQ8ExGAhpoaDCtJrr8KbcIMcKM8sONKtZOzrc3!12ND5vltb6yMjcPFSa2IWYcqivjj4n5GxVvJ5KeqhdpgFEYSsOlhonmSouOd1whWntubSHA4Ya/Triangle%20Escape.JPG

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0VgDpAu0Z2GZdPSPYmKL9mQfBiASdfYjDQMxH!qiJZEp5Vwswj!edlP!yyI6w*YUIx0*zGRe*JHqeOaFQE0FcRT!SZ*t16qnpTLU*0gFNkv5fDd6!XLOXmefiRRaqetY6/Long%20Road%20Ahead.JPG

PLEASSSEE HELP ME!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,330 • Replies: 11
No top replies

CarbonSystem

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 10:52 am
These are all Pen & Ink and Crayon
0 Replies

Vex86

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 10:19 pm
to start off dont call your stuff terrible even if it looks bad to you call it learnin an noone can tell u how to draw its one of those things that just takes time an cant be rushed i can tell you this tho learn to see the lines in things everything has its own outline an shape learn to see the lines in side the outline an find your own style no two ppl draw the same way thats the best i can really do for u ahh one last thing do it only b/c u enjoy it when it becomes work theres no longer a point to it anymore it just another job when it comes to that
0 Replies

CarbonSystem

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 04:46 am
Thanks vex, I'll keep all of that in mind. I'll keep practicing and maybe I'll improve.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 10:13 am
to start with, you need to change the entire way you go about drawing

you are drawing what you know, rather than what you see or remember seeing

it takes an extreme amount of skill and experience to draw well from your head...in addition to having a really good eye for composition, you need a great memory

I would not even bother trying to draw a whole lot from your head at this point, because you need to have mastered the ability of drawing what you see first

I suggest that you put off trying to draw creative new stuff until you get really good and comfortable with drawing what you see, because that is how you will get the most improvement the fastest

start by drawing much more complicated scenes, from photographs where nothing moves. after much practice, your mind will start to remember the irregular forms and shapes of people and things rather than just the abstract representations...and then your drawing from your head skills will be improved

you really need to improve your compositional skills...and this is the hardest thing to do, because it is mostly something that you are just born with. can you look at something and recognize what about it makes it beautiful? can you organize the shapes in a pleasing way? I don't know what advice to give you here
0 Replies

CarbonSystem

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 12:46 pm
thanks stuh, ill try all that out
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 09:54 am
carbon,

the reason I suggest drawing more complex scenes from photgraphs is because the more complex it is, the less precise you need to be on each individual line...it is much more satisfying.

it also gives you a great opportunity to forget "what you know" and just concentrate on each little part and try to draw every little detail. You don't have to worry about if your lines are straight, you don't have to worry about if you got something in the right position...as long as you put down a line for every edge that you see. this is a great starting point a t least.

did you modelthat penguin & juice box yourself?
0 Replies

Vex86

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 01:01 pm
thats all is very true but you may as well tell him the kind of time it takes to get the level of skill most ppl would like to have an that would be where they can draw from there head an just so you know some ppl can never do it even if they can look at photo or a pic an draw it with very lil flaw.
0 Replies

CarbonSystem

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 01:50 pm
no i didnt model that penguin and juicebox

most of the things i want to draw are out of my head though, and isn't art about doing what you makes you happy?
0 Replies

Vex86

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 02:15 pm
yea its about wat makes you happy an i didnt mean it to sound so umm *mean* an what stuh said was true ull learn the lines alil faster if u draw what you see but it wont help with how well you see what you want to draw in your head thats why i say noone can teach you wat you want to know.to draw from your head takes alot of energy an alot of experience iv done it for most of my 18 years an id say im still not that good at it mostly thats b/c i know it can be better
0 Replies

CarbonSystem

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 02:16 pm
Yeah, i just started trying to draw things and I don't really think I can draw all that well, but we'll see.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 05:59 pm
drawing well as stuh says, takes practice practice and practice, you need to truly LOOK at things.

I think looking at real 3D objects is more valuable as you have to deal with volume and the change from 3D to 2D.

I'd also suggest using charcoal and drawing large (A3 at least).
0 Replies