Separate ground wire legal?

Wed 11 Jan, 2017 09:16 pm
My home was built in 1964. It appears that all of the outlets (except some that were for an addition) are 2 wire with no ground. There are GFCI's in both bathrooms, however they are not marked as not grounded (required to be marked I believe), and were probably added to pass inspection at one time. I want to run a seperate wire from each ungrounded outlet to the main breaker box (service panel?). Would this be legal? From what I understand it is, but I am not 100% certain. It must hold up to NEC code obviously for when I sell the home in 10 years or so.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,444 • Replies: 2
Topic Closed
No top replies

Placid Carcass

Wed 8 Feb, 2017 12:51 am
@mikenusaf,
Lol, if you're going to run a separate wire back to the panel, why not run a proper grounded cable to the panel instead? Do irtright!
wellliving

Mon 27 Feb, 2017 12:42 am
@Placid Carcass,
National Electrical Code 2014

Article 250 - Grounding and Bonding

VII. Methods of Equipment Grounding

250.130 Equipment Grounding Conductor Connections. Equipment grounding conductor connections at the source of separately derived systems shall be made in accordance with 250.30(A)(1). Equipment grounding conductor connections at service equipment shall be made as indicated in 250.130(A) or (B). For replacement of non–grounding-type receptacles with grounding-type receptacles and for branch-circuit extensions only in existing installations that do not have an equipment grounding conductor in the branch circuit, connections shall be permitted as indicated in 250.130(C).

(C) Nongrounding Receptacle Replacement or Branch Circuit Extensions. The equipment grounding conductor of a grounding-type receptacle or a branch-circuit extension shall be permitted to be connected to any of the following:
(1) Any accessible point on the grounding electrode system as described in 250.50
(2) Any accessible point on the grounding electrode conductor
(3) The equipment grounding terminal bar within the enclosure where the branch circuit for the receptacle or branch circuit originates
(4) To an equipment grounding conductor that is part of another branch circuit that originates from the enclosure where the branch circuit for the receptacle or branch circuit originates
(5) For grounded systems, the grounded service conductor within the service equipment enclosure.
(6) For ungrounded systems, the grounding terminal bar within the service equipment enclosure
0 Replies