The Philosophy of Fairy Tales..............................

bobsmythhawk

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 04:16 am
0 Replies

theantibuddha

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 04:30 am
Re: The Philosophy of Fairy Tales...........................
Thomas wrote:
Andersen's "The emperor's new clothes".

Wow. I didn't have a clue who Andersen was, but emperor's new clothes was a damn cool story. I looked through that list someone posted of all Andersen's stories and I haven't read a single one.

I'm going to have to have a look I think.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 08:15 am
anti, If I could render you speechless, that in and of itself is a story to be told around the hearth. <smile> The philosophy of my comment simply means that you and many of us are ephemeral and the stuff of which whimsy is composed. Just when I thought that I had you pegged, you turned into a different personna--poof

Thomas, the Emperor's New Clothes is indeed a comment on the tricksters and those who are willing to be tricked. Only the mind of the child saw the unvarnished truth.

Bob, The Tender Box still tells us of the nature of "friends" and their illusive nature, and the depths to which one sinks to reclaim that fifteen minutes. As a child, I was caught up with the dogs on the chests and their varying eyes.
0 Replies

theantibuddha

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 08:30 am
Letty wrote:
anti, If I could render you speechless, that in and of itself is a story to be told around the hearth.

There are those who have. The most memorable was a christian called Hannah who glorified in the righteousness of babies drowning in the flood. I stared at my screen for about ten minutes with an expression like I had been hit with a rolling pin. Then I wasn't sure whether to laugh or cry, quite literally.

Quote:
<smile> The philosophy of my comment simply means that you and many of us are ephemeral and the stuff of which whimsy is composed. Just when I thought that I had you pegged, you turned into a different personna--poof

Literally in fact, if you're referring to certain threads Wink

In code breaking they would have cyphers which continously change so that each message is encrypted a different way. You could understand one message at a time yet eventually you would be able to crack the master algorithm and understand in what way the cyphers you had and would continue to see, will change.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 10:35 am
I should review this entire thread because I'm not sure what I've read or what I've said.

I've noticed in the flurry of comment about The Gates project in NYC's central part there have been a number of art critics of the H.C. Anderson school
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 11:24 am
hey, Noddy. Now that the gates are gone, can you explain about the critics of Hans?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 01:29 pm
And let's not forget the "Wilde" One. Oscar didn't only write heavy stuff, you know:

http://www.eastoftheweb.com/short-stories/Collections/HappPrin.shtml
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 04:08 pm
Letty--

Clever Hans?

Thanks for reminding me about Oscar Wilde's Fairy Tales. I used to own a Modern Library edition which vanished many moves ago.....
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 04:57 pm
Noddy, all my fairy tales are locked in the vault of my mind as well as the beautiful set of The Book of Knowledge that my family owned.

There I visited the beautiful myths of Greece and Rome; Aesopian fables; fairy tales of delicate proportion, and those that were tales of delight, have become solemn words that guide me through the night.

Many of the tales were told to me by my father, and sung to me by my mother.

Do you remember your thread on Abuzz concerning secret panels? I still think about Missing Page Thirteen.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 05:13 pm
The lady Diane won't let me read fairy tales because she thinks they are about Lesbians and other weird stuff. She only lets me read the Weekly Reader but she edits out the risque stuff first.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 05:42 pm
The Weekly Reader? Oh, my Gawd, dys. I hated those things. I never, never read them in spite of the fact that I loved Ms Carter, my sixth grade teacher.

You tell the Lady, that the tramp needs his daily dose of castles in air.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 05:45 pm
Well Letty the Lady Diane does edit the weekly reader for me so I don't have to see all the nasty bits.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 05:50 pm
And do you edit her Wee Wisdom, dys. You do NOT know about that magazine. I'm willing to bet my dad's old Greek book that I found in the tomes of my real bookshelves.
0 Replies