The three thousand mile oil change.

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 10:31 pm
The belief in the three thousand mile oil change is one of the biggest myths in car-dom. It wastes oil and is completely unnecessary. There was a time when we filed the points in the distributer, adjusted our valves, and changed our tires at 20,000 miles, that a 3,000 mile oil change was probably a wise thing. We now have a tune-up at a hundred thousand niles, run tires for at least 50,000 miles, have sophisticated computer technology to run just about everything. But there has also been improvements in metalurgy and oil in the last few decades.

Still, the myth persists and many/most American men still hold by the three thousand mile oil change. The manufacturers hesitate to recommend much longer oil change intervals because it is perceived by some male customers to be a way to wear out your engine and make you buy another car. (The logic of that escapes me)

I have noted that some new cars now come with a recommendation to use fully synthetic oil with a low weight, say 5-30 weight year round. I have used a good brand of fully synthetic oil 5-30W for several years in below zero weather and 90 degree weather. One of our cars has 100,000 miles with no problems and does not burn oil. The same is true of our other car with 250,000 miles on it. I have the oil changed about every 10,000 miles. I would not do that with regular oil, but would go with the new car recommendation.

That means for every 100,000 miles, I need about 10 oil changes.
The true believer has to have 33 oil changes in that same distance. I would still hold to the respect for time between changes. I think you should not wait more than three months between changes.

What do you say?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,031 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Adrian

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 11:06 pm
High BillyF.

Lower weight oil has been made necessary by tighter engine tolerances.

Tighter tolerances mean lower emissions, reduced fuel consumption and greater reliability.

They also mean that clean oil is more important than it was.

Having said that, as long as you use good oil and a good filter, 10 thousand miles is not overly terrible. I know of some big fleet users in Oz that run 20 thousand kms between oil changes on brand new vehicles, as part of their service contracts.
0 Replies