DO YOU HAVE A FAVOURITE AUSTRALIAN FILM?

LarryBS

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2003 07:07 am
I love great movies.

Found this site, thought I'd post it here, since it calls itself,

Australia's Essential Movie Review Source

eFilmCritic!

Looks pretty good, but I haven't had a chance to take a good look at it.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2003 10:15 am
Larry BS, Bread and Tulips is very Italian.
Did you see it dubbed?
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2003 03:41 pm
I really dislike dubbing, and I won't watch a dubbed film anymore. These days they have mostly disappeared thank goodness. Life is Beautiful was released dubbed and turned out so bad, that hopefully they won't do that again. Dubbing turned what I thought was the greatest war movie I've ever seen, Das Boot, into the silliest.

I think I am so used to subtitles now that all it takes is a glance to take in each line. They really aren't that big a deal if you get used to them.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2003 04:06 pm
I also dislike dubbing and can't remember the last time I saw a dubbed film. I do wish however that they could develop a technology which would intensify white lettering when it is superimposed on a light background. Actually they probably have such a technology but it is impractical to use.
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2003 04:41 pm
Many of them now seem to be done in yellow, easier to see but a bit more intrusive. But at least many of the older classics have been remastered and the subtitles enhanced.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2003 11:12 pm
LarryBS

I saw the dubbed version of Life Is Beautiful on video. I hadn't seen the original version, but the voices (especially the father) really grated! The sounds & the images seemed to be at odds with each other.
Worst dubbed film I've ever seen: Day For Night - Truly a horrible experience, particularly as it's a film I'm very fond of. Truffaut (sp?) just didn't sound like himself! Turned it off after 10 minutes.
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2003 11:42 pm
After Life is Beautiful won its Oscars and was released on video, my local Lackluster video store had 20 copies of the dubbed version and one of the subtitled. Tells you a lot about how many people watch subtitled movies, around here at least. I remember Ebert addressed that horrible dubbing on his show, the worst he'd ever seen. I always thought Das Boot was the worst, but I read somewhere where someone said it was the best. Eek.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2003 11:47 pm
You become SO conscious of the voices in dubbed movies ... They sort of overwhelm the other aspects of the film. I loath it!
0 Replies

dakini

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 07:00 am
my favourite
Sick I may be - but it was Bad Boy Bubby!!! Just bloody brilliant!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 08:22 am
dakini - always wanted to see that - but not sure i could cope - how distressing is it?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 11:00 am
They attempted in "Das Boot" to come as close to the actual translation as possible and it often didn't sync with the movements of the mouths. I didn't find it to be terribly distracting or lose any dramatic flow. Never saw the "Life is Beautiful" dubbed but I also generally stay away from dubbed.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2003 05:35 am
dakini

I felt the same as dlowan. Wasn't sure whether to expose myself to the Bad Boy Bubby experience. Have heard that it's "interesting". Coward, aren't I? Very Happy
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2003 04:44 pm
For the clueless americans among us, including me:

Bad Boy Bubby (1993)

http://www.filmwritten.org/reviews/1993/badboybubby.htm
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 04:21 am
Hey Ms Olga - I miss talking Aussie/UK movies with you! Have you heard of the movie above (Bad Boy Bubby)?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 04:31 am
Hello, LarryBS Very Happy

Bad Boy Bubby?
No, haven't seen it. I thought about it & decided that I was too squeamish - apparently a bit of cat torture featured - Not for me! Can't cope with that sort of stuff. (Check avatar Very Happy ) And I have a big furry critter on my lap as I type this.
But it got a lot of very good reviews here.

Watched any good Oz/UK movies lately?
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 04:48 am
I had never heard of it, so if I'd known that, I wouldn't have mentioned it!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 04:53 am
That's perfectly OK, Larry Very Happy
Anyway, don't think it's a major feature of the film ...
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 06:47 am
OK, one we haven't mentioned yet, I think .... The Year of Living Dangerously.
Of course it's not set in Australia, but in Jakarta, Indonesia.
I loved it! The atmosphere, the political suspense, the lives & attitudes of the the journalists .... But most of all, for the vivid depiction of Jarkata in a time of crisis. The only thing that disappointed me was the unrealistic *happy ending*. The rest was great!
Most people remember this film for Linda Hunt's brilliant performance.
Did any of you see it? What did you think?

http://www10.pair.com/~crazydv/weir/danger/

~
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 04:34 pm
I know of it of course, but I don't think I've ever sat down and watched it. Its on here frequently though, maybe next time! Sounds like americans must have played some part in its production, since they went with the Happy Ending! Isn't it "based on a true story?"
0 Replies

Bluxx

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 02:40 am
Lantana.
0 Replies