Behaviour of electrical elements

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2016 10:28 am
Some electrical elements act linearly and some don't. Ohm's law is not applicable for non-linear elements. I know that but what is the stuff that differentiate the two? I mean why do elements behave linearly or non-linearly? What is the phenomena or parameter that affects the linear or nonlinear behaviour?
Help me please.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 578 • Replies: 7
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2016 12:31 pm
@koyashu076,
Mebbe, Koy, it's where powers are entailed, like "squared," "cubed," etc
Lousy answer; help, somebody

Where something is nonlinear for instance it could be building upon itself
Forgive, achu, my wild guess, and gezundheit
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2016 09:17 am
@koyashu076,
As an electronics hobbyist, I can say that in practical circuits, most of the nonlinear behavior has to do with semiconductors-diodes and transistors and such. The so-called pn junction, both singly as in a diode, and a compound arrangement such as a transistor, (pnp or npn), are nonlinear, and from this we can get amplification, compression and expansion of the signal, and a whole host of effects that comprise modern electronics.
Blickers

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2016 09:34 am
Here's a quick overview of diodes, transistors, and FET, (field effect transistors). There are other semiconductor devices as well.
https://www.renesas.com/en-us/support/technical-resources/engineer-school/electronic-circuits-02-diodes-transistors-fets.html

Here's a chart of a nonlinear element, the diode. Look at the forward voltage. From 0 to 0.7 Volts, (silicon diode), no voltage is passed by the diode. But over 0.7 Volts, voltage is passed. Compare that behavior with a transistor, which will pass voltage as it is applied to it.

http://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/ah279/LeviStubbs/diode%20breakdown%20voltage_zpslgxoxonx.jpg
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2016 09:57 am
This video explains it better. The narrator has a little bit of an accent, but his points are clearly made and it's worth listening closely to him. The video is only 2 minutes long, so it's worth listening to again if you missed anything.

0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2016 12:16 pm
@Blickers,
Thanks Blick for amplifying my feeble attempt. I too was an electronics hobbyist but I can't help thinking there's a deeper meaning to nonlinearity; something much deeper than me
Blickers

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2016 01:13 pm
@dalehileman,
Well, in really advanced physics, they examine every single nonlinearity, no matter how infinitessimally small, and frequently make discoveries from those. These discoveries usually are announced by a team of scientists using an atom smasher five miles long and staffed by a multi-story building full of researchers and equipment.

But the OP just wanted the definition needed by students beginning to study electronics, so that's what I gave him or her. I wouldn't be much good working on one of those research teams with the five mile long atom smashers anyway, Very Happy
dalehileman

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2016 01:19 pm
@Blickers,
Yes, but no, Blick, your posting was most excellent
0 Replies