Geraldo

Reply Sat 26 Oct, 2002 07:30 pm
I was just surfing the tv (I like to multi-surf) and happened upon Geraldo Rivera on FoxNews. Do any of you ever watch him and, if so, what do you think?

Being from the New York metro area, I've been exposed to Geraldo since he was a reporter on the local news. Personally, I don't quite understand how come he's still around, but I'd like to know what others think of his abilities.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,590 • Replies: 13
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 26 Oct, 2002 07:35 pm
Heh heh...

I know someone who knew him from when he was Jerry Rivers (college) and has the same question. She SO doesn't get it.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sat 26 Oct, 2002 07:37 pm
Good question, bandylu.

It's my understanding that Geraldo has won a number of awards ~ the only thing I can chalk it up to is stupid bravery ~ some of his stories are truly just sensational journalism. I have, on the other hand, seen several of his unpopular documentaries and specials ~ unpopular most likely because they didn't fulfill the 'Jerry Springer' characteristics.
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Sat 26 Oct, 2002 07:42 pm
He did a meaningful expose of mental institutions many years ago (which is how he went from local reporter to 'celebrity'). But then he got a little crazy, I think. Hey, 'crazy' is making him lots of money and famous, too, so what's wrong with a little crazy?
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sat 26 Oct, 2002 08:34 pm
Nothin.....it pays, apparently.

I remember the mental institution expose ~ in fact, I remember seeing it in a 'Geraldo rememberance/celebration show. If I remember correctly, his wife instigated the show, produced and directed it. Publicity! Go figure.
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Sat 26 Oct, 2002 08:49 pm
I didn't know that about his wife, Rae. It was probably his first wife, too.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sat 26 Oct, 2002 08:59 pm
That sounds right, bandylu.....about the first wife.
0 Replies

Tex-Star

Reply Tue 24 Dec, 2002 02:05 pm
Being a former reporter: It's the reporter that does the work, makes the most noise. You get an A for effort, trying, then you're IN. It's that way in most professions, I think.

I really can't stand Geraldo. I once had an editor who was the nastiest little white-haired bitch alive. If things didn't go right she'd just stand there spouting 4-letter words. But, she wasn't afraid of anything and got a paper out on time. See?
0 Replies

Lash Goth

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 09:41 am
Geraldo is either coming down with a case of Personality disorder, or his drugs are no longer working.

I saw him do one of the most horrid pieces of journalism ever captured on film night before last.

He was interviewing the family of Laci, the missing very pregnant woman, whose husband is/is not a suspect.

He was standing there beside her sister, who was distraught and verbalizing a weak, but desperate hope that her sis was still alive. Geraldo would speak to her, as if there was still hope, and then turn to the camera, discounting tht possibility that she could be alive and talking about the prospect finding her dead body at the marina, as if her sister wasn't standing right there.

Hubby said I missed the worst. Earlier, he started crying while he was interviewing the mother. He was so 'overcome' he hugged and cried on the mother's shoulder??!!! Journalism?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 10:05 am
I think that Geraldo is a fine reporter who became too full of himself. From his earlier works, I know that he has the ability, but he has sold himself out to the notoriety junkies. What a pity!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 10:10 am
Geraldo=gate is down, lights are flashing, mouth engaged and there's no train coming.
0 Replies

Lash Goth

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 10:13 am
The first time I saw him, he was running down a NY sidewalk, thrusting a mic in the face of some slippery bad guy, yelling accusations--which I thought was very cool.

I thought, at that time, he was great and would be the next....(can't think of the name of a great investigative journalist)...Mike Wallace...only with brashness and energy.

Al Capone was a disaster, but I didn't blame Geraldo for the outcome, only the hype and self-promotion. It does seem to me Geraldo has left his greatest assets in the dust, and has raced toward self-promotion with reckless abandon. And, gushes forth with his emotion... As if it is the Geraldo Show, not covering a story.
0 Replies

Lash Goth

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 10:16 am
dyslexia wrote:
Geraldo=gate is down, lights are flashing, mouth engaged and there's no train coming.

dys--point, with economy of words. Can I ever learn this? Cool
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2003 09:50 pm
I used to really admire Geraldo - thought he was a guy with balls and integrity. I used to really enjoy the segments he did with 20/20, and other things on ABC News. He started going crazy, I think, when he got his own talk show. Then he really flew over the cuckoo's nest when he went to FAUX News. It's like he sold his soul, or something.
0 Replies