judge hearing on motions

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2016 02:48 pm
In Ohio, a judge orders a non-oral hearing on all pending motions at a certain date, yet no ruling has been filed by the judge yet. HOW long does a judge have to make a ruling after a hearing?

jespah

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2016 02:55 pm
@deadbirdcreek,
http://www.supremecourt.ohio.gov/LegalResources/Rules/civil/CivilProcedure.pdf
0 Replies

giujohn

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2016 08:52 pm
Let me tell you what I learned as a young police officer going to court. In his court the judge has more power than God because God can't fine you or send you to jail. The judge can do just about anything he wants.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2017 08:39 am
In Arizona, a Superior Court judge has 60 days after an evidentiary hearing to issue their ruling. Otherwise they don't get a paycheck. That's AZ law -- no idea about Ohio.

---

One thing I learned as a young attorney is that many police officers don't really know the law, they just think they do. Another thing I learned is that it's impossible to convince them of that fact.
giujohn

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2017 09:10 pm
@Ticomaya,
Ticomaya wrote:

In Arizona, a Superior Court judge has 60 days after an evidentiary hearing to issue their ruling. Otherwise they don't get a paycheck. That's AZ law -- no idea about Ohio.

---

One thing I learned as a young attorney is that many police officers don't really know the law, they just think they do. Another thing I learned is that it's impossible to convince them of that fact.

I knew the law well enough to rarely lose at trial the felony case packets I submitted. And well enough to represent the city at trial for misdemeanors where the defendant was pro se.

And I can't tell you how many new JDs in the DAs office or the Pub. Defenders office I watched piss off a judge because they thought they knew the law.
0 Replies

josephcmrrt

Reply Wed 3 May, 2017 06:41 am
@deadbirdcreek,
There is no standard amount of time. If you're represented, the person handling your case may have a fairly good handle on how long a particular judge normally takes to get a decision out.
0 Replies