Dieting and Coca-Cola

GeneralTsao

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 05:31 am
Wy wrote:
Kristie, it's the American Way -- snacking on diet soda and Ding-Dongs, supersizing the fries and skipping breakfast...

GeneralTsao, are you saying Diet Coke has more than one calorie? Exactly one? None at all? I don't understand.

Wy, all I know is that it allegedly has a lot more calories than just one.

As an interesting sidebar, I am a collector of beverage containers, specifically soda cans. For a while, Diet Coke stated on its nutrition label that one serving was six ounces.

Think about that--a 12 oz can of Diet Coke, and one serving was half of it.

Stranger than that was the fact that the nutritional label stated that that one serving contained zero calories.

So my teachers were all wrong--Zero plus zero actually equals one.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 06:17 am
Eva, I am shocked at those numbers!! Were you testing with a blood sugar monitor? I am just not sure if the tests you had read differently than the ones in Canada. The only reason I need to go on insulin is because oral medication would aggravate my liver problems.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 07:56 am
I thought Diet Coke was listed as zero calories...not one calorie.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 12:10 pm
cavfancier wrote:
Eva, I am shocked at those numbers!! Were you testing with a blood sugar monitor? I am just not sure if the tests you had read differently than the ones in Canada. The only reason I need to go on insulin is because oral medication would aggravate my liver problems.

No, I've never used a monitor. It was just part of the regular blood work I have done every three months. The doctor said that a blood glucose level between 90 and 110 is considered perfect. 120-125 is "prediabetic," and if they get two consecutive readings over 126, diabetes is formally diagnosed. Fortunately, I got it under control before then.

Anyway...I understand about the oral medication, but assuming this is Type II, can you not control it through diet alone? I hate the thought of needles.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 12:42 pm
My dad was diagnosed with type II about 2 years ago and he has to take insulin as well. Sad My poor daddy....
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 02:17 pm
That does suck Kristie. Diabetes in epedemic in this country. We should educate people on proper diet and exercise. Meanwhile, I love your avatar.
0 Replies