Driving 101 - Listen Up Folks

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 05:21 pm
Edit [Moderator]: Moved from General to Autos.

The thread is back.

Today there was a huge accident where I live. Some 18-wheeler ran into a bridge or something. I don't know, but they closed up the highway. I decided to make this thread again b/c while trying to get through this big mess, I saw a police man YELLING his intestines up to try to get these old folks to SPEED IT UP! He kept screaming "what's your problem. GO ALREADY ....GOOOOO!"

I probably shouldn't laugh. /chuckle

So....

* When you're on a highway, DO NOT GO 50 when the speed limit is 70.

* Do NOT think you are king of the left lane when on the highway if you're going 75 (speed limit 70). You DO NOT have the right a-way. At least not in good ol' Texas. You BY LAW must MOVE OVER TO THE RIGHT LANE even if said person behind you is going 90. YOU, not them, will be the cause of a serious accident. Just move on over buddy!

* When you see your exit approaching, this is not a sign you should slow down. This is what the ramp is for. I repeat, THIS IS WHAT THE RAMP IS FOR. Keep your foot ON THE GAS! Smile

* When you plan on turning right at a green light, you do NOT come to a complete stop to make your turn. Again, your foot should remain on the gas NOT break. Didn't you guys learn this in driver's ed?

* If you haven't noticed a theme... the highway is not made for people who want to go 10+ below the speed limit. Seriously.

Thank you. Smile

Please add your own.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,230 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 05:26 pm
* When you are going 65, and the flow of traffic is going 80, you are NOT in the right away. SPEED IT UP or you will Again be the cause of a serious accident. If that's too scary for you, move to the country!

Getting this anger out is great therapy. Laughing
0 Replies

travelbug

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 05:59 pm
*20 in a 30 zone whilst indicating left but staying in the middle of the road all the way up the road? Not the best plan.

Taxi drivers, fools all of them.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 06:34 pm
a few years back, while driving ina mildly ugly freezing rain i got behind this person who was doing 40kph in an 80kph zone, since the road was quite slippery and the visibility was questionable i wasn't too upset, however upon entering a 60kph zone the guy cuts his speed to 30kph, apparently deciding the safest course of action was to drive half the posted limit at all times
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 04:45 am
travelbug wrote:
*20 in a 30 zone whilst indicating left but staying in the middle of the road all the way up the road? Not the best plan.

Taxi drivers, fools all of them.

Ah, I use to own my own taxi business and I was and still am an excellent driver.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 04:50 am
Where I live now (in the country), people have the dangerous habit of driving in the middle of the road. This drives me insane. You'll be coming around a corner and suddenly on the other side of the bend you have this moron in your lane coming at you. I've been living here for 4 years and this is one thing I will never get use to. And people wonder why the car insurance is so high where I live. I hate dangerous drivers!!!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 04:58 am
Another popular thing in my area is drivers looking at their passengers when they're talking to them, when of course, they should be watching the road, duh! This practice amazes me since there is absolutely no reason for this. Do they think the person they're talking to can't hear them unless they're looking at them. I'll be behind someone doing this who is all over the road and I see them look at the road just long enough to get in their own lane and then I watch them turn their heads again to talk to their passenger. Keep in mind that the speed limit is very fast on these country roads and we live in the middle of deer/moose country, hello!!!!
0 Replies

CannibalCrowley

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 07:56 am
* Blinkers/turn signals are not just there for decoration. It should be used in advance of your turn or lane change, if not then you're defeating the purpose.

* If using my brakes would cause you to hit me, then you're too damn close. Tailgating is both stupid and illegal.

* You're blinker isn't a magical tool that will part traffic, you still have to wait until it's safe to complete your maneuver.

* When you turn onto a road from a redlight or a driveway, I shouldn't have to change lanes or use my brakes to accommodate you. Wait until you can enter the roadway and get up to speed without interfering with other drivers.

* Ladies, it's a car not a makeup counter.

* Don't get pissed when someone uses their horn because you weren't paying attention or did something stupid.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 08:18 am
Cannibal
I agree, but as a lady, I've never applied makeup while driving ;-)
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 09:31 am
Jo - about the exit ramp and slowing down - I'm assuming you've never driven on the Southern State Parkway on Long Island. The exit ramps are tiny and spiraling. You truly cannot take them over about 25 mph, as otherwise you end up in the back yard of someone's Islip house. The speed limit is 55 in the Southern State, and there are no lead-ups to the exit ramps. It's a two-lane highway. You're virtually forced to go down to 30 before getting to the ramp. Otherwise, like I said, suddenly you're introducing yourself to some south shore folk.

The highway, like a lot of other picturesque roads in the Northeast, was built in the 30s or 40s and was originally designed for 35 to 45 mph traffic, and cannot be modernized because the houses are too close.
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 10:45 am
jespah, yeah that definitely sounds like a different situation. Smile

One in which it would be necessary to take some precautions. Are there signs warning you that you must go 35 (random number) taking this curve/exit?

I just hate how traffic forms because one person decides to go 50 to prepare for their exit that is more than 100 ft. away.
0 Replies