Looking for information on a particular artist/painting

JMarie

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 05:09 pm
I found a lovely painting but am finding it difficult to find any information about the artist or the painting itself. It seems quite old judging by the stretcher which is very dark and the bisquits (I'm not sure if that's what you call them) in the corners of the stretcher seem irregular in shape. The canvas is tacked on with small tacks. The canvas is very dark at the back as well. The artist's name is difficult to read but seems to be G. Kloss (Might be Klos or Klose). Here is a link to a picture of it. Sorry but my flash left a bit of a glare on it.
G.Kloss painting
The woman I bought it from said her parents brought it to Canada from Germany.

I'm looking for any information on this artist (the name is signed both on the painting and on the stretcher) or the location depicted in the painting. I'm really not sure if this is the kind of thing this forum deals with. If not, can anyone direct me to a website that might be of help?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

JMarie
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,248 • Replies: 9
No top replies

carrie

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 05:22 am
The only person I could find was Gene Kloss. I google searched the name.
0 Replies

Rayvatrap

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 02:52 pm
You might want to consider going to an art school library and talk to the librarian or maybe a museum, they are always (must of the time) happy to help. :wink:

The painting is very impressive, I like it a lot!

Good luck in your search.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 03:03 pm
A large library should have a "Who's Who European Art" or even "Who's Who in German Art."
The style I would place in the last one-hundred years -- possibly 1920-1930. You can access these volumes on the internet but libraries generally charge for these services.
0 Replies

mistral

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 09:52 am
The landscape painter Gene Kloss was born 1903 in Oakland, Ca. This is all what I could find.

Other G. Kloss are not listed in the great German biografical artist dictionaries.

Mistral
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 10:17 am
Doesn't appear to be the same painter as Gene Kloss is a woman artist who paints in the genre of Western or Southwestern styles.
LINK:

GENE KLOSS PAINTINGS
0 Replies

JMarie

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 06:59 pm
Thanks to everyone for your input. I guess this is going to involve a little detective work. I'll take some of your suggestions on where to start.

Thanks again
JMarie
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2004 09:40 am
You could have a student painting who was trained in classic style and technique. The painting appears to be executed to look like an old masterpiece. That a search shows no results is fortifying this because there would have to be data showing up at some auction. mistral (and WELCOME TO a2k) appears to have access to a book on German artist other than Who's Who. Like I said before, you can go to the site for a major library like the NYC and pay to get into the reference books you need. That's if you're not near a large city with a comprehensive library where you will find the volumes. Whether the work is worth a lot of money or not is best researched by offering for auction at a house that will accept it. Such paintings that are no true antiques (over 100 years old) are not likely to be worth a great deal of money.
0 Replies

mistral

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 08:59 am
World dictionary of artist biographies
The dictionary I used is perhaps the greatest project in the history of dictionaries at all and still "in construction".

You find more about it in English under

www.saur.de/akl

Mistral
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 10:25 am
Bonham & Butterfields could be the best auction house to offer the painting and may reveal its true intrinsic value. They are online if one enters their company name into Google.

An appraiser, again, would be $300.00 if they are accredited (which is the only one to trust). I don't know if this route is worth it except for insurance or write-off (donating the painting) purposes.

The link lists the volumes, mistral, but as you seem to have access to them, it looks like it just confirms what I've been writing. I have the Yale Dictionary of Art and Artists but it isn't comprehensive enough, especially to cover all the commercial, decorative artists that have cropped up for the past three decades due to the American fascination with the "limited edition," which is, in truth, only a reproduction.
0 Replies