Over 16,000 Californians wants to secede

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2016 09:57 pm
Because of Trump, over 16,000 Californians wants to become an independent country. It ain't gonna happen, because our state gets too much money from the Feds that includes social security, Medical, welfare funds, and state highways. The Feds also provides defense. It's also unlikely that local and state government will approve such a foolish move.
I understand that many have threatened or have already moved to Canada or some other country.
At my age, my motto is, "What, me worry?"
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 1,947 • Replies: 13
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2016 10:23 pm
I think Abe Lincoln gave the definitive answer to questions of secession. Besides, if they all jump ship, who will vote for change in two and four years?
0 Replies

giujohn

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 01:23 pm
Happy to see them all go... California the land of fruits and nuts where the nuts are a little fruity in the fruits are a little nutty
0 Replies

seac

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 02:56 pm
@cicerone imposter,
They should move to Mexico and see what it feels like to be there.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 03:53 pm
@seac,
It's a ridiculous idea any way; nobody is going to be moving out this state or the country based on Trump getting elected president.
Blickers

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 11:35 pm
The move to secede in California was underway years before Trump. Besides, 16,000 people out of a state of 38 Million isn't very much.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 11:47 pm
@Blickers,
Didn't know that, and I live in California.
Kolyo

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 11:56 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

It's a ridiculous idea any way; nobody is going to be moving out this state or the country based on Trump getting elected president.

Oh, I don't know...

In a nation of 300+ million, there might be one or two.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 11:58 pm
@Kolyo,
That would be a "normal" migration out of the country.
It seems there are many problems trying to keep track of migration of Americans to other countries. The US State Department has estimates.
Quote:
U.S. State Department Data
There is currently no reliable estimate of the number of U.S. citizens living abroad. The U.S. State Department occasionally publishes data about U.S. nationals living abroad based on registrations at embassies and missions, but there are major questions concerning its validity.
According to U.S. State Department data there were 4.1 million U.S. citizens living abroad in 1999 (see Table 1). Nearly one-quarter (1 million) of these people lived in Mexico, while 687,000 were in Canada. Other countries with large numbers of Americans included the United Kingdom (224,000), Germany (211,000), Israel (184,000), Italy (169,000), Philippines (105,000), Australia (103,000), France (102,000), and Spain (95,000). In fact, according to these State Department data, these ten countries contain about 70% of all U.S. citizens living abroad.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2016 02:41 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

...At my age, my motto is, "What, me worry?"

So, at your age you are quoting Mad magazine's Alfred E. Newmann (or is it Neumann?)? I wouldn't worry about it, since nature abhors a vacuum, and whoever makes Calif. their own will value your contribution to civilization as an auditor.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2016 02:46 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

F.Y.I.: I've read that there are Hispanics that refer to the ancient Aztec name for Calif. (Hazlatan I think). Hispanics having a higher birth rate than many Anglos will populate Calif. quickly, and my only suggestion is to get a Spanish/English dictionary. In fact, my four years of high school Spanish comes in handy in NYC. The reality is that there are blue states that are already bilingual, in my opinion. Es la verdad (it's the truth).
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2016 03:12 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Yes, there have been north and south CA separation questions, and for some years now a secession effort in the high north of the state. No link, but I've read about it off and on for years.

From early on in my long time in California, I was well aware of snappish takes by northern californians, which I as a southern one could see their points about, even decades ago. And, natch, vice versa.

Whatever (I say keep it together myself, but I would, even though I've lived south and north) - in any case, it's not about secession from the US.

This brings up a book I'm reading that is set in California... by Wallace Stegner. It was a little hard to figure the organization of the book at first, but now I'm into it: All The Little Live Things. I've hardly started and I know I have to read more of him. He was very knowledgeable about the land and it shows in some of his simple descriptions that 'knock me out'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wallace_Stegner
Gee, even the list of his students is something...
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2016 03:36 pm
Secession can't happen. Some Californians want to split it into two states. I sort of like that idea, though I don't know if it could be done.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2016 04:10 pm
@ossobucotemp,
I didn't mean the north folks want to secede from the US - it's a word tossed around now.
0 Replies