Discussing 80's TV Classics

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 11:51 am
The 80's have many things to answer for - the birth of gross consumerism, terrible music, gawdy fashions - but one thing I think they managed to get right is TV.

The decade spanned my 4th and 14th birthdays, which is probably the time in anyone's life when they watch the most (or at least the most formative) TV, and these programs I watched for hours on end have made me the person I am today.

I'd like to start a thread for nostaglia purposes really, but, as always in A2K, any debate is very welcome. Post whatever you want relating to 80's TV - shows you loved, shows you hated, why you loved/hated them, theme tunes, explosions, whatever!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,261 • Replies: 31
No top replies

Grand Duke

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 11:58 am
A few questions/observations however about my two favourite shows, Kinght Rider and The A-Team:

Why did Michael Knight have to push a button on the dash to get KITT to drive itself, and yet if Michael was outside the car, he merely had to ask it via his watch? and...

How could a team of crack-commandos like Hannibal, Murdoch, Face & BA ever manage to fight in 'Nam, when they could only ever shoot windows and flower-pots?
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 12:00 pm
With all due respect Duke, I'm passing on this one.
Discussing cheesy American TV is not my bag....but you run along and have fun...y'hear?
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 12:06 pm
I was in college when you were 5-9, so I doubt we were watching the same things.

During that time I was watching Luke and Laura get married, finished off the final M*A*S*H in style, and HAD to be home Thursday nights for LA Law.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 12:58 pm
Pan - surely there was one program in the whole 10 years that you liked?

Squinney - I wasn't allowed to stay up to watch MASH when they were shown here the first time round, but I've since grown to love it from the repeats, even owning 4 series on DVD.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 01:04 pm
Sure there was...Hill Street Blues and MASH of course...can't remember anything else.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 01:09 pm
While I watched it, I can't admit to being a Knight Rider fan. However, I loved The A-Team. Now....I'm cheating here...but THIS was one of my all-time favourite TV shows, but it ran from 1990-92 and I was already twenty by then: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098802/
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 01:12 pm
Come on in, and pull yourself up a chair (like Chairry !)
Let the fun begin, it's time to let down your hair !
Pee-wee's SO excited,
'Cause all his friends have been invited (that's you !)
To go wacky, at Pee-wee's Playhouse!

There's a crazy rhythm, comin' from Puppetland (what that ?)
Dirty Dog, Cool Cat, and Chicky Baby are the Puppet Band (yeah !)
He's got a couple of talkin' fish,
and a genie who'll grant a wish -
Golly, it's cuckoo at Pee-wee's Playhouse !

Globey's spinnin', Mr. Window's grinnin',
'Cause Pterri's flyin' by (hello !)
The Flowers are singin', the Picture Phone is ringin',
And the Dinosaur family goes, "Hi!"
Mr. Kite's soarin', Conky's still a snorin',
There's the flashing Magic Screen.
The Cowntess is so classy, Randy's kinda sassy -
A nuttier establishment you've never seen !
Spend the day with Pee-wee and you'll see what we mean ! (Come on !)

Get outta bed, there'll be no more nappin'! (Wake up!)
'Cause you've landed in a place where anything can happen -
Now we've given you fair warnin' !
It's gonna be that kind of mornin' -
For bein' wacky !
For getting nutty !
Golly, it's cuckoo !
At Pee-wee's Playhouse !
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 01:15 pm
was that the 80's? ...nah...
Brilliant stuff that Playhouse...brilliant
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 01:21 pm
Top Shows: 1980-1981 Season (in order)
Dallas (lots)
60 Minutes (med)
The Dukes of Hazzard
The Love Boat
Private Benjamin
M*A*S*H (lots)
House Calls
The Jeffersons
(tie) The Two of Us
(tie) Little House on the Prairie
Alice
Real People (lots - first reality TV) LOL
(tie) One Day at a Time
(tie) The Greatest American Hero
Three's Company YES
Magnum, P.I. YES
(tie) Too Close for Comfort
(tie) ABC Sunday Movie YES
Diff'rent Strokes YES
Archie Bunker's Place
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 01:27 pm
Yeah, the playhouse was mid-80s and yes indeed it was brilliant. They're releasing it on DVD now. I know what Mo is getting for Christmas this year!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 02:20 pm
I used to watch a lot of superhero shows, but I can't remember which ones started in the 80s. Here is a short list:

The Hulk (Lou Ferigno version)
Shazzam
Isis
The Greatest American Hero
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 02:37 pm
You're probably too young for Six Million Dollar man, Cav. He put Shazzam to sha-shame! Very Happy

(I have to confess that both were adorable, though that's not likely why you were watching.)

OMG- One Day At a Time. Forgot about that one and Eight Is Enough. My college roomies and I used to head up after our wonderful dorm dinner for "Snuffingit" which was our shorthand for "After dinner we will be Eight Is Enoughing it."

One Day At a Time - Any time we heard a car horn outside we called out "Coming Charlie!" Classic line from when oldest daughters date was waiting outside while Mom got onto her about him not coming up to their apartment to get her for a date. He just kept honking the horn and between arguing with Mom, she would yell out the window with increasing frustration.

I still have to say it in my head (and, yes, sometimes outloud) when I hear a car horn.
0 Replies

Don1

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 01:54 am
Mash
Cheers
Fools and Horses
Yes Minister
Porridge
Fawlty Towers

I've gone blank, I'll be back.
0 Replies

carrie

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 07:36 am
I was born in 1981, but I do remember some shows, of which I loved many.

Wizzbit
He-man and She-ra
Thundercats
Transformers
Dungeons and Dragons
Dooby Duck's Dicso Bus
Fun House
Get your own Back
Live and Kicking
Rentaghost
Number 73
Grange Hill
Byker Grove
Henry's Cat
Garfield
Scooby Doo
Duckula
Sesame Street
Playskool
You and Me
Teabag and T-shirt (?)
Simon and the Witch
Finger Mouse
Trumpton
Postman Pat
Pob
BC Birthday Cards (Mispronounced my name :-( )
Mooncat
Bagpuss
Moomins
The Riddlers
Ghostbusters
Tin Tin
Penny Crayon
Raggy Dolls
How to
Magpie
Button Moon

(There was also one where a green dragon thing which had a majic tree which he used to grow a different thing on every day, like chocolate, or buttons. There was an owl in the tree which used to chat away too)

Oh, and I also loved Michael Jackson's Thriller, and showed it at my birthday party. My friends mum came round and asked my mum not to put it on while he was there as it upset him! lol
0 Replies

carrie

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 07:39 am
The Racoons
Camberwick Green
Gummy Bears
Fraggle Rock

My minds buzzing now...lol
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 07:48 am
Oh my. The 80's, I was 9 through 19. I remember a lot of "Must See TV" stuff -- Cosby Show, Cheers. I wanted to be Lisa Bonet, I thought she had fantastic fashion sense. Lesse, further back -- Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom. What was the show that had "No guhnews is good guhnews with Gary Gnu?"

Bless Google -- "The Great Space Coaster", evidently. (Reading more to jog non-gary memories...)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 07:57 am
This has been so interesting! Turns out that Kevin Clash worked on the show... the guy who later became Elmo.

Lots of fervent fans out there who say "nobody else remembers the show!!!" So now I'm curious if anyone here does..?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 07:59 am
Ahh squinney, you understimate my childhood fascination with television. I remember both the Six Million Dollar Man AND The Bionic Woman. Also, Wonder Woman and the New Adventures of Wonder Woman. I watched a lot of Sesame Street as a kid, but preferred The Electric Company, mainly for Morgan Freeman's afroed, dashikied Easy Reader character.

Most of the sitcoms I liked were actually from the 70s, and I caught them in rerun, like All in the Family, The Jeffersons, Barney Miller, Sanford and Son, and Good Times. Man, just try making sharp, satirical sitcoms with social commentary these days! The FCC would fry you for being un-PC.

Does anyone remember The Hilarious House of Frightenstein?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 08:03 am
cavfancier wrote:
I used to watch a lot of superhero shows, but I can't remember which ones started in the 80s. Here is a short list:

The Hulk (Lou Ferigno version)
Shazzam
Isis
The Greatest American Hero

I loved the Great American Hero!!!!! I mean, who couldn't love a bumbling idiot who could fly? :wink:
0 Replies