Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2016 05:37 am
Thanks again, Obama.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 4,824 • Replies: 116

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2016 08:46 am
"They were attacked with water cannons,” said LaDonna Brave Bull Allard, a Standing Rock Sioux tribe member and founder of the Sacred Stone camp. “It is 23 degrees [-5 °C] out there with mace, rubber bullets, pepper spray, etc. They are being trapped and attacked. Pray for my people.”
0 Replies

giujohn

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2016 10:03 am
The pipeline that moves nearly a half a million barrels of oil a day versus all the trucks barreling down the highway and railroad tanker cars barreling down the tracks what happens when they have an accident? I'm sure with the pipeline there has to be some emergency shut-off that takes effect.

When these protesters violate the law theyre no longer protesters and they get what they deserve.
Sturgis

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2016 10:59 am
@giujohn,
Quote:
When these protesters violate the laws they're no longer protesters and they get what they deserve.

Well, even if they were violating laws (which they are not, since, people have the freedom to protest), they'd still be protesters.

If you want to go on about violations, then look at how the government is violating the rights of the indigenous people who live there. They do not want this mess going through their land, land which the white man down in D.C. ordered and forced their ancestors to live on, moving them from what had been their land. They are standing up for their rights at Standing Rock and many people from other places are joining in solidarity with them. If they succumb to the government's wishes at this time it will be yet another defeat and the broken law, the crime, would be that which would be perpetrated by the Feds.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2016 03:22 pm
@Sturgis,
Quote:
Well, even if they were violating laws (which they are not, since, people have the freedom to protest), they'd still be protesters.

This is not correct (and a logical fallacy). They are doing things like chaining themselves to construction equipment... something that is violating laws.

Whether you are a protester or not has nothing to do with whether you are violating laws or not. You can do both at the same time.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2016 03:25 pm
@giujohn,
Quote:

When these protesters violate the law theyre no longer protesters and they get what they deserve.

This is not correct. Just because you violate a law, doesn't mean you are no longer a protester. And just because you violate a law doesn't mean that you forfeit your rights. The authorities must act legally and responsibility dealing with these protesters under any circumstances.

And, Giujohn.... I am wondering if you have taken the time to learn about the objections to the pipeline before jumping on the obvious partisan side. Your post doesn't indicate that you have done your homework. Knee-jerk partisan arguments without any attempt to understand both sides don't impress me.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2016 03:29 pm
Veterans are planning a 'deployment' to Standing Rock to protest the Dakota Access Pipeline
http://www.businessinsider.com/veterans-deployment-standing-rock-protest-2016-11?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=referral
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2016 04:03 pm
This protest often smacks of 'I love a parade' syndrome. Joining just to be part of a protest because you feel like protesting.
Very few seem to understand that the pipeline goes near indian land, not on it. And the protesters have burned some pretty expensive construction machinery and are on the pipeline developer's land much of the time.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2016 04:06 pm
Near matters.
0 Replies

giujohn

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2016 04:36 pm
@maxdancona,
I have this thing called the "internets"and it allows me to find news stories for just about any topic! (It's amazing) So yes, I did.

And impress you? If you're a D cup blonde knockout with the winning Powerball ticket I'd consider it...if you wax my convertible.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2016 05:00 pm
@giujohn,
Maybe I am John... now just how big is your "convertible"?
giujohn

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2016 06:45 pm
@maxdancona,
2 seater roadster... black.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2016 08:42 pm
A woman had her arm blown open by a concussion grenade. A man was shot in the side of the head with a rubber bullet. A man was hit so hard with the water canon that it took the skin on his hand off down to the bone.

Morton County Sheriff spokesman Rob Keller told NBC that no water cannons were used Sunday night and water was only deployed to put out fires set by #NoDAPL water protectors.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2016 08:46 pm
https://scontent-mia1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-0/p480x480/15078556_1353543481325081_2322932415926711779_n.jpg?oh=11db142fc81bc08d2d846021cf9bf518&oe=58C91B87
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2016 10:45 pm
@maxdancona,
Do you ever listen to yourself maxdancona?

You add nothing, just keep searching for places to pile up your snark and snide.

Speak to the real issues for once, in this case the people of Standing Rock. Address that, instead of insipid barbs which, truth be told, you ain't that good at.

Standing Rock is a serious issue, as is the pipeline, it'd be nice if people would put that in their brain waves.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2016 05:28 am
@Sturgis,
Genocide is slightly illegal, these days, but not deprivation of life liberty and happiness.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2016 07:18 am
Janis Ian
33 mins ·
https://action.aclu.org/secure/Standing-Rock
Let me just point out that our president-elect has close financial ties to Energy Transfer Partners, operators of the controversial Dakota Access oil pipeline.And though she may not have direct financial interest, Clinton's hands aren't clean either.
Please don't post crap about the protestors being violent. The only violence has been from the other side. Protestors trying to clear a path for emergency vehicles were met with water hoses and rubber bullets, yanked out of their lodges when assembling peacefully, and treated like combatants.
This is a disgrace to all Americans.
giujohn

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2016 10:55 am
@edgarblythe,
Well the news reports don't agree with you... Rocks bottles and setting fires... Seems to me that's criminal activity not lawful protesting.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2016 12:13 pm
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2016 12:18 pm
@edgarblythe,
Protectors, not protestors.

Link to longish (49 minute) and excellent radio podcast.

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/unreserved/something-extraordinary-is-happening-at-standing-rock-1.3850506

Quote:
Sunday November 20, 2016
Something extraordinary is happening at Standing Rock

It began in April, with a few Sioux people on a small piece of land that has grown into an international movement. Attracting thousands of people from all nations and backgrounds.

It is a fluid population that ebbs and flows like the nearby Cannonball River.

They are there to stand in solidarity with Standing Rock against a pipeline that would carry crude oil across Sioux territory, and threaten their primary water source.

They say they plan on staying for as long as it takes to stop the Dakota Access Pipeline.

This week on Unreserved we head to Standing Rock to meet the people who have set up camp.

Quote:
There are three different camps set up at Standing Rock. The first is Sacred Stone camp. It's located on the Standing Rock Sioux Reservation and overlooks the other two camps because it is up on a bluff. From the all three camps you can look up to a bluff on the south end where a house stands silent watching over the people.

The house belongs to LaDonna Brave Bull Allard. Standing Rock began with her. Sacred Stone camp is on her property and from her house she can see the pipeline being built about two miles away.

Quote:
Unreserved's Kim Wheeler headed to Standing Rock with some pre-conceived ideas but quickly found out a lot of the rumour and innuendo in social media was actually true. She shares her story of being in the camp alongside the water protectors.

Camping out in the cold in North Dakota is not all fun and games. Thousands of people from around the world have spent time in Standing Rock. At any given time there are up to 1500 people and tensions are bound to rise. CBC's Stephanie Cram explains how those issues are being dealt with.

Quote:

Harmony Lauritzen came to the camps at Standing Rock from her home near Portland, Oregon. She only intended to stay a few days but has taken over lunch duties in one of the main kitchens. She explains how cooks at camp get creative.

If you walk around the Oceti Sakowin campsite you'll discover there are plenty of youth who have traded in their modern lifestyles and gone back to the basics. Tiar Wilson brings you their reasons for being here.

Those at Standing Rock say the occupation is about protecting the water for future generations. Part of how they are doing that is through ceremony. Unreserved's Erica Daniels has been connected in ceremony for many years and will explain the role ceremonies play in the camps.

Water protectors.
0 Replies