Standing Rock Protestors - Sprayed with water in 26 Degrees

Debra Law

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 11:57 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Let's compare the population of Bismarck to Standing Rock

Or not. It might be a bit of a faux pas.

Why are we comparing population?

How many people live downstream from Bismarck?

Are you saying the drinking water for the numerous whites who live in Bismarck area is more important than the drinking water for an entire Indian reservation and all others who live downstream? So it's okay to pass that pipeline leak problem to those who live downstream? Pipe line leaks happen all the time and it's only a matter of when.

Why are so many people against the Native Americans because they want to protect their water supply not only for themselves, but for everyone? Why was it okay for the people of Bismarck to protect their water supply but not okay for the Native Americans? Why isn't the reservation just as important as the city?
ehBeth

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 12:11 pm
@Debra Law,
Debra Law wrote:

ehBeth wrote:

Let's compare the population of Bismarck to Standing Rock

Or not. It might be a bit of a faux pas.

Are you saying the drinking water for the numerous whites who live in Bismarck area is more important than the drinking water for an entire Indian reservation and all others who live downstream?

I think that's exactly why things are happening the way they are. It's disgusting and it's IMNSHO the reality of America.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 12:22 pm
@Debra Law,
So if the pipeline were moved back to the original path through Bismark, would that resolve the issue for you?
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 01:01 pm
Just to put it in purely practical terms, which would be easier to alleviate in the event of a leak -

Providing water to the population of 'Standing Rock' or the population of Bismarck?
Remember Flint, MI?

It's not that the Indians are less important people. Compromises must be made in every infrastructure decision.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 07:19 pm
http://www.cbc.ca/news/indigenous/army-corp-remove-camps-standing-rock-1.3871122
People opposed to the Dakota Access pipeline are digging in, despite an eviction notice issued by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers on Nov. 25.
People opposed to the Dakota Access pipeline are digging in, despite an eviction notice issued by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers on Nov. 25. (Tim Fontaine/CBC)

U.S. Army Corps to close Dakota Access protesters' camp
Trump's stock in contentious Dakota Access pipeline company raises concern
Chiefs gather at Dakota Tipi First Nation to show solidarity with Standing Rock
Sask people continue support for Standing Rock protesters in wake of closure deadline
Edmonton prayer camp stands up for Standing Rock
Wab Kinew stands with Standing Rock at Manitoba Legislature
North Dakota's governor has signed an executive order for an "emergency evacuation" of demonstrators who have been camped out for months in opposition to a contentious oil pipeline.

In a statement issued Monday, Gov. Jack Dalrymple said hundreds of people who have been camped on land north of the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe's reservation must leave immediately and not return.

According to that executive order, "Morton County is currently experiencing severe winter weather storm conditions, and it is anticipated harsh winter conditions will continue until next spring."

"Winter conditions have the potential to endanger human life, especially when they are exposed to these conditions without proper shelter, dwellings, or sanitation for prolonged periods of time."

Army Corps issues eviction

The governor's executive order follows an eviction notice issued by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers on Friday.

However, the Corps says it won't forcibly remove people from a massive camp used by those opposed to the Dakota Access pipeline, though it's still unclear how a recently issued eviction notice will be enforced.

Standing Rock camp to be closed by Dec. 5, U.S. Army Corps says
The camp — called Oceti Sakowin — is just north of the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe reservation, where Texas-based Energy Transfer Partners has been trying to complete the contentious Dakota Access pipeline. If finished, the $3.8-billion U.S. pipeline will carry crude oil south to Illinois from northern North Dakota.

On Friday, the Army Corps sent a letter to the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe stating that land north of the reservation would be closed to the public as of Dec. 5 and that a "free speech zone" would be established nearby where people could freely demonstrate.

"The Army Corps of Engineers is seeking a peaceful and orderly transition to a safer location, and has no plans for forcible removal," read a news release issued on Nov. 27.

"Those who remain will be considered unauthorized and may be subject to citation under federal, state, or local laws."

Lawsuit launched

The Corps also said "more dangerous groups have joined this protest and are provoking conflict in spite of the public pleas from tribal leaders."

But people in the camp — and their many supporters — say it is heavily armed state and county police who are the real aggressors.

More than 500 people have been arrested in demonstrations since the summer and one woman nearly lost an arm when she was injured during a clash with police on Nov. 20.

Woman hurt in latest Standing Rock confrontation in 'serious' condition
The conflict that night is now the subject of a lawsuit launched by a group of lawyers called the Water Protector Legal Collective, which has been providing legal assistance to people involved in the demonstrations.

Dakota pipeline protest Nov 20
Demonstrators face off with police near the Standing Rock Indian Reservation on Nov. 20.

The group filed a class-action lawsuit on Monday, seeking an injunction against the Morton County Sheriff's Department and other police forces who were present on Nov. 20, which the lawyers accuse of using excessive force — and employing "impact munitions such as rubber bullets and lead-filled "beanbags," water cannons and hoses, explosive tear gas grenades and other chemical agents against protesters."

The Morton County Sheriff's Department has denied that its officers used explosives, instead blaming demonstrators themselves. Sheriff Kyle Kirchmeier was also critical of the Corps's announcement, telling The Associated Press that the Corps "is basically kicking the can down the road, and all it is doing is taking the liability from the Corps and putting it on [the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe]."
Widespread support

The Sioux's fight against the Dakota Access pipeline has garnered support from around the globe, with thousands of Indigenous and non-Indigenous people making the pilgrimage to North Dakota.

First Nation communities across Canada have also shown solidarity through rallies, round-dances and fundraisers. Manitoba NDP MLA Wab Kinew has raised the issue in the province's legislature.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 07:40 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Wab Kinew stands with Standing Rock at Manitoba Legislature

I have hopes that Wab is on track to be Canadian Prime Minister in the not too distant future. Young, incredibly bright, knows how to politic, caring, a survivor. It doesn't hurt that he is well-spoken and has an attractive family.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 07:41 pm
@edgarblythe,
The CBC is following the Standing Rock water protectors situation closely. Rosanna Deerchild features something from there at least once a week - in addition to what's on regular broadcasts.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 08:00 pm
@ehBeth,
I wish I were young and footloose enough. I would be there for the duration.
Lash

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 08:03 pm
@edgarblythe,
I wish I could go.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 08:21 pm
I'm for the native resistance in this case.

I don't know the pros and cons of why this pipeline is so concerning to exist in the first place, but why can't they move it some place else, perhaps a white neighborhood?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2016 07:15 am
I know the #nodapl among us should have thought out some alternatives to the Dakota pipeline. It's easy to protest when you don't have to confront the entire issue. (So my son has told me over this issue.)

Gas prices have been much lower because of fracking and pipelines. I am solidly against both--but I know how high gas prices become quite immediately personal when my monthly budget changes...

I know we have the ability to replace fossil fuels, and there's no good excuse for not moving toward those alternatives, but that can't be accomplished tomorrow; meanwhile, we have cars that have gas tanks.

We also have real communities with un-drinkable water due to delapidated infrastructure and sporadic environmental spills. Chomsky and Sanders say the next wars will be about water. A report I did ten years ago about Saudi Arabia revealed a very serious regional water shortage even then.

I think it's time for the globalization trend to stop focusing on enriching the wealthy and clamping down on personal liberties, and instead start using our combined innovation and technology to solve our earth issues.

Anyway, finally someone is bringing #nodapl to the light.

Thanks, Cory.

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/standing-rock-booker-investigation-dapl-oppression/#alVKMclxCy6IaR4q.01
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2016 08:55 am
We got by before fracking. As much as I hate high gas prices, I hate that more.
giujohn

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2016 09:36 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

We got by before fracking. As much as I hate high gas prices, I hate that more.

Wrong. Fracking has been around since 1949 the only differences back then it was applied to Vertical Wells as opposed to now they are also including horizontal Wells. The controversy is made up by the left with their the sky is falling attitude towards anything having to do with the environment.

I for one am in favor of lower gas prices but more importantly less dependence on OPEC.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2016 09:34 am
FAKE COWBOYS AND REAL INDIANS

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/02/opinion/fake-cowboys-and-real-indians.html?_r=0

Quote:
For most of this past week, a winter storm has lashed at the North Dakota prairie camp where the Standing Rock Sioux are making a stand to keep an oil pipeline away from water that is a source of life for them.

The sight of native people shivering in a blizzard, while government authorities threaten to starve them out or forcefully remove them, is a living diorama of so much awful history between the First Americans and those who took everything from them.

The authorities have brought water cannons, rubber bullets, tear gas, helicopters and dogs against what has become one of the largest gatherings of tribes, from all nations, in a century. They’ve given the protesters, who will soon include a brigade of veterans, until Dec. 5 to disperse.

Now flash back a few years to another Western standoff, the Nevada siege of Cliven Bundy, the deadbeat rancher who drew heavily armed white militia members to defend a man who stiffed the government while grazing his cattle on public land. There, the feds backed off. . . .

Please go to the link and continue reading.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2016 09:48 am
@Debra Law,
There is no doubt that there are separate standards for each color, sex and political persuasion of person in the US of Murica. We were founded on these policies and it will likely endure long beyond my lifetime.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2016 02:21 pm
Governor lies about attack
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2016 06:33 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

There is no doubt that there are separate standards for each color, sex and political persuasion of person in the US of Murica. We were founded on these policies and it will likely endure long beyond my lifetime.

I was hoping to live long enough to see real progress. I believe most Americans are fed up with the establishment, which includes career politicians who work for big money interests rather than the people. It is a huge disappointment to see our political leaders use the might of militarized police and oppression against the water protectors and do so for the benefit of a wealthy corporation.

Both parties are corrupted, and the Democratic Party does not appear to understand that it must change or continue to lose power. Perhaps the Democratic Party elite (Nancy Pelosi, et al.) don't care about the longevity of the party so long as they themselves retain their own positions of power and the wealth they derive from those political positions. The demagogue Donald Trump will not "drain the swamp" as promised. Instead, the swamp just got more swampy.

I agree with Dylan Ratigan that we should be able to do a better job of producing better candidates for public office.

http://on.msnbc.com/2gHYyjg

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2016 01:54 pm
U.S. Senator Elizabeth Warren
3 hrs ·
I don’t know how anyone could watch the news and not be horrified by what’s happening at Standing Rock Reservation in North Dakota.
For months, the Standing Rock Sioux and thousands of others have opposed a pipeline that many believe risks contaminating the tribe’s water supply. What have they faced in response? Attack dogs. Rubber bullets. Tear gas. Water hoses in freezing temperatures. A 21-year-old graduate of Williams College in Massachusetts had her arm nearly destroyed. And last week, the governor directed state and local agencies to refuse emergency assistance as a way to expel the tribe and their "water protector" supporters.
The Standing Rock Sioux are not animals to be corralled – they are human beings. Good, passionate human beings who have stood together in the middle of a North Dakota blizzard this past week, and stood together for many weeks before, to fight for what they believe in. They should be treated with respect and basic human decency.
The construction workers and laborers at Standing Rock are also human beings – and they weren’t the ones to decide where to build this pipeline. They are good, hard-working people who are just trying to do their jobs. They also should be treated with respect and basic human decency.
The fact is, we need a country where all of our children can safely drink the water and where we move away from dirty fossil fuels and build more sustainable green energy solutions. We also need good jobs and respect for our workers. All of these things are true. It is both/and, not either/or.
Time is running out. Patience has worn thin. Nerves have frayed. Every day brings a chance for escalation of the violence and more injuries. The Obama Administration should step up now and work with the Army Corps of Engineers to find an alternate route to this pipeline and ways to address the concerns of the Standing Rock Sioux. Yes, there may be more work to do and it may take more money, but we need to act in good faith, deescalate this violence, and find a solution.
ossobucotemp

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2016 02:10 pm
@edgarblythe,
I agree with all she is saying.

I once, quite a while ago, interviewed at the Army Corps of Engineers in their Los Angeles office, was offered the job but didn't take it for a mix of reasons. Later became corps wary, but haven't completely followed their doings over the long term. The engineers also need their jobs, are humans with families, and so on. The burden of all this is, to me, observed by looking up re decision makers.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2016 03:30 pm
I just saw this headline on a Young Turks video. I am not certain what is going on as yet.

President Obama Denies Final Permit For Dakota Access Pipeline