Need to find the BEST pumpkin pie recipe ever!

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 09:13 am
Edit: Moderator: Moved from Autos to Food & Drink

Hi, I love pumpkin pie.

However, I have found that most are just "OK" and not really awesome.

Occasionally, I'll get a slice of pumpkin pie that is to die for, but alas, do not have such a recipe.

I would like your favorite recipe(s) for pumpkin pie.

Here are my criteria:

Should taste more-or-less traditional (nut meg, cinnamon, etc.).

Should have an awesome crust (a lousy crust can ruin an otherwise excellent pie) that you want to eat every bit of.

Should not taste like boiled squash.

Thanks very much,

General
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 3,606 • Replies: 12
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 09:45 am
2 cups fresh pumpkin puree (buy small fresh pumpkins, quarter them and slow cook at 250 degrees for 2-3 of hours so they get soft, and lose their moisture. Scrape the flesh out and puree. Feel free to do this a day before)
1 cup brown sugar
1 vanilla bean, scraped, seeds only
1 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp. ea. cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves
pinch salt
pinch white pepper
4 eggs
1 1/2 cups 35% cream
1/4 cup bourbon

Whisk all filling ingredients together. Pour into prebaked tart shell or pie shell and bake at 375 until done, 40-60 minutes, depending on oven.

My preference is for pumpkin tart, using a pate sucree:

1 scraped vanilla pod (optional)
4 tbsp. soft butter
1/2 cup icing sugar
2 egg yolks
1 cup + 2 tbsp. flour
pinch salt

Process butter with vanilla seeds until very light. Add sugar and process. Add yolks and process. Add 1 cup flour and salt and quickly process. Add remaining flour and process if very sticky. Dough will not form a ball. Wrap and refrigerate dough for at least 4 hours before rolling.

I like to do this in a fluted tart pan. Once the tart is baked with its filling and cooled, you can make a meringue, gently scoop it on top, and brown it quickly in a hot oven, like a lemon-meringue pie.
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 05:29 pm
What do you have against boiled squash? Laughing

I am actually good at making pie... I gave my crust recipe to Squinney in her thread about how to make pie crust... I will have to think about how I make pumpkin pies... I sort of follow the Carnation canned milk recipe, but with a few modifications... I like more spice and less sugar generally... often make it more custardy but with pumpkin in than pure pumpkin puree... I also tend to make things without a recipe, so they often don't turn out the same twice... But with good crust, tasty filling and whipping cream or cool whip for garnish, I've never had objections (except when I've burned them, which happens when I get distracted or multitask to far and wide...) Wink
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 05:31 pm
Thanks y'all...gonna pactice up
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 11:20 pm
My wife and I both love pumpkin pie - my parents look at us like we're crazy when we eat them year round instead of just around Thanksgiving.

Libby's makes a can of "Pumpkin Pie Mix" that has nearly everything in it. If I remember right, you have to add two eggs and a can of condensed milk. Mix it up, pour it into a crust, and put it in the oven. It actually makes a very good pie. (We normally let it bake about 15 minutes longer than the instructions on the can).
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 06:25 am
Libby's is what I use to cheat...it's a pretty good product.
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 11:37 am
I don't like the taste of pumpkin pie mix cans as much as using fresh spice with pumpkin.

This is my basic recipe, but I change things depending upon what I have in my cubboard.

3/4 c. sugar
1 1/2 tsp. cinnemon
1/2 tsp. cloves
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. ginger
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. allspice
3 eggs, beaten with 1 & 2/3 c. milk + 1 & 1/2 c. cooked pumpkin
Mix and combine together. Mix well.

2 9 inch deep dish pie crusts. Pour mixture into unbaked pie shells & bake in a hot oven, 425* for 15 minutes, then reduce heat to 350* and continue to bake about 50 minutes.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 11:49 am
I made one once and somehow forgot the sugar. Talk about boiled squash. Shocked

Anyway, my grandma was quite possibly the best pie maker that ever lived. She got quite fat perfecting her art, finally she had to stop eating her own product. I remember a peach pie she made that was literally a trancendental experience to eat. To get to the point, she insisted that canned pumpkin was just as good as fresh and there was no reason to bother with boiling or baking it yourself. I tend to agree, though you can certainly vary the flavor by using different types of squash and how much you carmelize the sugar if you bake it first.
0 Replies

GeneralTsao

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 02:48 pm
princesspupule wrote:
What do you have against boiled squash? Laughing

Princess,
The only way to get me to eat vegetables is to make them into zucchini bread, carrot cake, or pumpkin pie!

Very Happy
0 Replies

Toptools

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 03:44 pm
This is my mothers recipe I hope you enjoy it :

1 large can ( 13 oz) pumpkin
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
1/4 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
3 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp ginger
1 tsp salt
4 eggs beaten
2 cups evaporated milk

Set oven for 350' F
Combine first nine ingredients, mix well. Heat milk to a boiling point add, and mix well. Pour into unbaked pie shell. Bake 1 1/2 hours for a 10 inch pie. 1 hour for a 9 inch pie .. Pie is done when knife inserted nea the rim comes out clean ....

Laughing

Hope you enjoy this pie as much as I do

Peace TopTools
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 03:46 pm
thanx and welcome
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 03:28 am
this is chinese pumpkin pie
it is very popular
but i hate it. Evil or Very Mad
http://a0.cpimg.com/image/9E/F4/9475230-9a0e-025801C2-.jpg
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 08:48 pm
Roast that pumpkin. You won't be sorry. Cav, I like the bourbon addition. I always add bourbon to my whipped cream to top my pumpkin pie.
0 Replies