Dear United States... I'm judging you.

georgeob1

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2016 03:10 pm
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

I never said we were beyond reproach. But we didn't vote for Trump. You did.

I don't recall reading any criticisms of the outcome of the last Canadian election or criticisms of the new Premier, by Americans on these threads. I believe most of us would hesitate doing so simply because it isn't our affair and we don't really have the standing, or perhaps competence to say, and, of course, there is the fact that the result doesn't affect us directly. Apparently Ceili has no such inhibitions.

ehBeth

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2016 03:27 pm
@georgeob1,
Just because you didn't read it doesn't mean it didn't happen.

___

And, again, at the federal level in Canada, the party leader is the Prime Minister. At the provincial level, the party leaders are Premiers.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2016 03:30 pm
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:
Shouldn't we aim to be better than the worst examples? We live in a global community, shouldn't we expect nations, governments to strive to give all citizens equal opportunities and justice?

this

__

The idea that it's good to aim for the bottom is crazy. Yet that seems to be what we're watching.

I wish we could believe everyone was trying to improve the situation for others in the world as well as themselves.
ossobucotemp

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2016 03:32 pm
@georgeob1,
Some of us US people have mentioned liking the Prime Minister. I presume he has a fault or two, just like everybody, but to me he is fresh air.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2016 03:35 pm
@ehBeth,
That's certainly true, but it does indeed appear to me that there is much more commentary here by Canadians about the virtues and defects of our internal affairs than by Americans about yours. I have often found that a bit odd.

Thank you for the reminder on the terminology - I knew better but was careless.
georgeob1

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2016 03:46 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

The idea that it's good to aim for the bottom is crazy. Yet that seems to be what we're watching.

I wish we could believe everyone was trying to improve the situation for others in the world as well as themselves.

Who is "aiming for the bottom"?

The world is a large and complex place and it is filled with the consequences of the many contradictions in human nature. It has never been fully at peace, and there is very little in recorded history to suggest that improving the situations of others was ever a dominant concern of of most people = even in Canada. Even a quick glance at the news of the world reinforces the obvious truth of this proposition.

There is a degree of implicit self congratulation in Ceili's criticisms that would be offensive, if they weren't so obviously childish and ill-informed,

ossobucotemp

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2016 04:08 pm
@georgeob1,
Who? Trump, our new president, that's who.

I know a2kers of varied politics, also friends of mine in real life, have met and like you. Me, dys said no, you did not want to meet me, so I haven't either dissociated since I get not wanting to meet everyone, but also haven't been blessed like all the others.

You keep condescending to Blatham, and he keeps blowing it off. I read it, like a mystery series. I don't think I have ever seen him condescending to you.

I argued about being personally slammed in her round judgement, but I get Ceili.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2016 04:14 pm
@Ceili,
We are striving awful hard in Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria, Yemen, Libya, Egypt, Israel, Iran... They don't seem to want to play ball.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2016 04:19 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

That's certainly true, but it does indeed appear to me that there is much more commentary here by Canadians about the virtues and defects of our internal affairs than by Americans about yours. I have often found that a bit odd.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but most Americans really don't care. I am sure Canada has a nice guy as Prime Minister. Isn't he a previous Prime Ministers Son or something like that?

I am grateful that so many posters from foreign countries care so much about America. I think we are worth their effort and caring.

It doesn't matter, but it is appreciated.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2016 04:33 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

There is a degree of implicit self congratulation in Ceili's criticisms that would be offensive, if they weren't so obviously childish and ill-informed,

Of course there is. I'm mimicking all the ugly stereotype stuff I've read on these pages over the years. And all the hypocritical rhetoric that was resoundingly championed or overlooked by people such as yourself. And now, the entire world is looking at your with a jaundiced eye and you don't like it. Oh well.
Maybe all the people you lump into denigrating categories don't like it either.
I wonder if they responded the way a bunch of you had, if you could change their minds? Doubt it? Human nature is funny that way.
giujohn

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2016 05:06 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Well Robert I send those reports at your request. Those reports are for those who violate your rules. You and your moderators suspend people for the most minor of infractions like referring to someone as senile but yet you will converse with somebody who violate your rules by calling them a racist idiot. My efforts are to illustrate how biased this site is, not unlike the liberals who inhabit it... having done that, you will no longer receive reports from me. You are free to suspend me at anytime as I suspect you will. I recognize that this is a private site and while under the guise of being fair operates to promote your liberal political agenda.
georgeob1

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2016 08:17 pm
@Ceili,
I don't know to what or whose "stereotyping" or "hypocritical rhetoric" you are referring here. I'm not aware of any like criticisms rhetorical or otherwise that any of us have made about Canada or any other countries - certainly nothing to equal or surpass your overinflated rhetorc.. Further, I haven't "lumped any people into indenigrating categories ", as you, yourself have hypocritically and repeatedly done here. . I also seriously doubt your ability or standing to speak for "the rest of the world" as you appear to claim.

In short in your shrill and categorical criticisms of my country and our people you have provided us all with an excellent example of what appears to be the very failings of which you have accused us. Oddly, in your self rightous fury you appear to be quite oblivious of the truly comic picture you have painted.

0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2016 03:54 am
https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/15032145_10154789374236385_4921404749970606094_n.jpg?oh=051f457ded16af2644183505b4abfb1e&oe=588A27D8
georgeob1

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2016 06:19 am
@Ceili,
QED
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2016 11:36 am
@giujohn,
The notion that I have an agenda other than growth of the community to promote here is risible partisan paranoia.

The post you are complaining was not removed has been removed. Not because of your complaints but because it fits the critera for it and the limited moderation staff got around to it when they could. And the moderation of this community is comprised of both liberals and conservatives in roughly equal measure so if the agenda were political it would be hard to push it through uneven moderation (and again, the notion that an agenda is being pushed through selective moderation is laughably stupid, that isn't even a very effective way to push an agenda and a much more reasonable conslusion would be that maybe volunteers don't have unlimited time to clean up the mess from the forum drama some people love to generate).

You complain about the unfairness of the site without any basis in reality. The ongoings of it are not privy to you so you imagine what you will.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2016 12:33 pm
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

I'm not especially interested in a level playing field. Especially if that playing field is a riddled with holes.
Just because Muslim countries have stupid laws, does not give me reason to want to mirror them or enter into a game of tit for tat. Shouldn't we aim to be better than the worst examples? We live in a global community, shouldn't we expect nations, governments to strive to give all citizens equal opportunities and justice?

You can live in a Global Community. I would be trivializing the U.S., and it giving my family a lovely country to live in, compared to Czarist Russia, if I thought I lived in a Global Community. I live in the U.S., and am only a citizen of the U.S. That's my preferred identity. To each his/her own. So, no "we" for me.

Ceili

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2016 09:05 pm
@Foofie,
Poor, poor foofie.
Who has never eaten anything but hotdogs, doesn't watch tv or use a computer made in a foreign locale, clothes are all made at the local haberdashery up the road - from locally grown cotton, never taken a ride in a vehicle made of parts from anywhere else. Yup,
no we for you... lol
TomTomBinks

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2016 10:27 pm
@Ceili,
I share your surprise and disgust, but in reading your post as an US citizen I can't get around the idea that you're talking to us as individuals. You speak to the United States as if it was an individual, and I get the gist of it, but am still offended. Enough already. You have to realize that you can't actually speak to a nation, you can only speak to a person. There were 60 million people that voted for Trump, that's less than 20%, they don't represent the views of the rest of us. I would never dream of blaming all of Canada for the actions of some of you.
Ceili

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2016 07:28 am
@TomTomBinks,
If you want to give me a national platform, great. In the meantime, there are only a handful of individuals that will read any of this, I am talking to individuals.
I'm well aware of the election result. I live next door and get American news 24/7. I know the breakdown of voters, men vs women, minority groups, millennials, old white racists...
See, this is the thing. You're offended, meanwhile people of colour, LGBTQ, women, Mexicans, people with disabilities, Muslims and others took a hit this election and have lost status.
So, 20% of Americans voted for Trump.
What percentage of Muslims are terrorists?
What percentage of people of colour dying from police shootings is enough for people to actually think black lives matter?
What percentage of Mexicans, there illegally or not, are a) Mexican b) rapists and murderers?
What percentage of the world thinks you just voted in a fascist?
What percentage of the world's far right just got a boost from an American election that just legitimized racism?
What percentage of the world do you think gives a hoot what the actual breakdown of the election was, or do they actually only see the result?
If this election has taught us anything, it's that facts don't matter. Lies get you further than the truth. It may be a huge lie that Americans are racist, then again, what do you think people actually think?

giujohn

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2016 08:07 am
@Ceili,
http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A2KLqIRgqzFY1nsAJXmZnIlQ;_ylu=X3oDMTByZnJkbGl0BHNlYwNjZC10aHVtYgRzbGsDcGxheQR2dGlkAw--/RV=2/RE=1479678944/RO=10/RU=https%3a%2f%2fwww.youtube.com%2fwatch%3fv%3dMa5iilLWbUI/RK=0/RS=amT2yqJEK9iwhBhowTt2nTXxlp4-
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/14/2024 at 11:53:45